Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
My employer wants to re-classify me as a part timer

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:32 pm
I work a very borderline 30 hour per week work week. I need to be working 30 hours per week in order to be eligible for CHS - childcare subsidies (There is no way I'd be able to work while paying daycare for all my children). My employer now wants to classify me as a part timer because the fact that I've opted out of their insurance plan (the amount they are contributing is peanuts, and the plan is horrid) makes it harder for them to get good rates. My actual working hours won't change. Can they do that - just change my classification at whim and claim that I'm no longer eligible for a paid lunch or whatever they are doing?

amother
Black

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 1:35 pm
Your state determines how many hours worked is considered full time vs part time. You need to check with them.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 3:50 pm
I work 32 hours a week and was under the impression from my employer that is the minimum in NJ to be full time.

Is he cutting your hours? an employer is allowed to change a contract and you can leave if you don't like it.

Is he saying he used to pretend your 30 hours were 32 hours to be nice to you? There isn't much you can do about that.

CHS has a minimum number of hours. As long as your hours don't change you should be fine. I think.

ces

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 5:38 pm
Your employer can decide that either 30 or 32 hours qualify as part time, that's his prerogative and is totally legal. The only caveat is that this policy needs to be company wide, so any others working 30 hours would also now be considered part time

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:09 pm
Confused - you say you need to be working 30 hours to get childcare. You say your hours are not changing. So what difference does it make what the boss calls them?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:21 am
30 hours per week is the federal guideline for the ACA pay/play rules.
30 hours per week is also CHS's guidelines.
I currently work 30 even, but that's with counting a half hour lunch. They want to stop counting my lunch so I will work only 28 hours and no requirement to offer me coverage. But if they switch me to 28 for their convenience, I'll lose a big piece of what is necessary for me to continue working at this time.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:31 am
If you are in NJ the minimum amount of hours is 25 to be considered full time for insurance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics