Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Small apartment, 2 year age gap, lots of stairs, no car...

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:57 pm
I'm expecting my 2nd in a few months and I want to avoid getting a full double stroller.

Right now, my nearly 2 year old is difficult when out - he walks quickly but doesn't listen, will wander off on his own and gets tired easily etc. I like to have him restrained in the stroller! I need a stroller when going to the makolet to buy food and going on long outings when he needs to rest/nap etc. or we need to get somewhere fast e.g. to the bus stop.

We have hardly any space in our apartment and live two flights up with no elevator.

My idea is to do a mixture of the following depending on circumstance:

1. Babywear the baby and use the single for the toddler (good for makolet etc.)

2. Use the single for the baby and a buggy board for the toddler (for short walks to gan, the park, friends etc.)

3. Buying an umbrella double (that can be stored away and taken out for long outings)

As I have no practical experience of this, please advise me if I am being realistic or not in thinking I can manage without a full double.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 5:00 pm
I would try babywearing and if it suits you I think you would be fine without the double. As your toddler gets older, he will learn to be more expedient.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 5:04 pm
I found it was crucial to have the double for a year and only when walking long distances. So you might be fine. But, we have a car and I used to avoid walking places if I could have Dh take me by car.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 5:10 pm
I have a 90th-percentile 10-month-old whom I've been babywearing since she was born, no car. We've only started to use the lightweight stroller relatively frequently in the last month or two since it's been hot and I found the sunshade more convenient (last summer she wasn't sticking her arms out trying to look at everything).

mazal555

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 7:38 pm
I was in about the same situation and finally found that the double made it so much easier so I got a fairly cheap double.

Helani

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:42 pm
This might help with the storage issue and it's lightweight.
Kinderwagon Hop Tandem Umbrella Stroller
http://smile.amazon.com/Kinder.....andem

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:46 pm
I'd get an easily foldable double stroller.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:09 am
Thank you all for your replies. Do you think my amother color means I'm having a girl?? LOL

So I was thinking of getting the Uppababy G-Link double umbrella stroller. It is suitable from birth and as it has a standing umbrella fold I could store it in some corner of the apartment without it taking up huge amounts of space. I like that it's so light and compact when folded that I could carry the baby and put the stroller over my shoulder to go downstairs instead of bouncing it down.

I would rely just on the babywearing but my back gives me all sorts of problems and I get hot easily so not sure it would work as a full time option, although I admire those who do it!

chouli

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 4:59 am
I also have kids close in age and I didn't like the double strollers. They are difficult to push... I used a buggy-board most of the time until I found this : http://www.kids2sit.eu/en/anwendung.html
best thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile1234

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 5:02 am
Is there somewhere - say your lobby - that you could leave a double stroller locked up?

Beyla

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:49 am
chouli wrote:
I also have kids close in age and I didn't like the double strollers. They are difficult to push... I used a buggy-board most of the time until I found this : http://www.kids2sit.eu/en/anwendung.html

Wow nice. With which stroller can you use it?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:43 am
Smile1234 wrote:
Is there somewhere - say your lobby - that you could leave a double stroller locked up?

No lobby space at all. I could leave it outside locked up, but that's outside in the open with dust, rain, cats and who knows what else.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:44 am
chouli wrote:

Wow interesting! But it's only for bassinets right? Not for the actual stroller seat... so only helpful right at the start? Is that right?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:08 am
I have a zobo double and I like it very much and it was not expensive.

Anon bc I tell everyone

imaima

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:47 pm
Are you going to be sble to fold and unfold this double while holding a baby in one hand?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:43 pm
imaima wrote:
Are you going to be sble to fold and unfold this double while holding a baby in one hand?

Good point. Probably not by the looks of it - it's not a one hand fold. But it says it does stairs well so maybe I could just bounce it down. Is there such thing as a one hand umbrella fold?

little_mage

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 4:21 pm
So I have a very similar situation to you; my kids are 2.5 years apart, but we also have two flights of stairs and no car. I babywore and pushed one in a single stroller. With the oldest almost five, the younger 2.5 and me expecting, I just got to the point where it's not working for us anymore, and I think a lot of that is the pregnancy. That being said, I don't have back problems and tend to run cold, not hot. So I don't have a couple of the problems. Still, I think it's worth trying that first, especially since you already have a single that you like (at least, I'm assuming so from your OP). I would make sure you get a good carrier-not a moby or other stretchy wrap that the baby will grow out of quickly. Another option for the times your older one wants to walk might be one of those child leashes. That will at least keep him with you, if you need the baby to get off of you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics