Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What can I make with lentils besides soup?
1  2  Next

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:30 pm
The soup didn't go over well at all and I still have lots of lentils. And they're supposed to be healthy. So what can I make with them?

I'm seeing lots of recipes for lentil burgers but they all look way too much like work. And involve ingredients I can't use so would need to substitute, which is not as big a deal as work and multiple dirty pots.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:30 pm
Lentil tacos are a favorite here.

thanks

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:33 pm
I put lentils in my chulent. It adds a really nice flavor.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:35 pm
Sweet and sour lentils, lentils with sausage and red peppers,madjara

egam

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:35 pm
Rice and lentils. And I think Levana has a recipe for lentil loaf.

Last edited by egam on Tue, May 17 2016, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:36 pm
Mujadara.
Combine lentils with any kind of rice, and sautéed onions.

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:50 pm
Hm. Thanks for the ideas. Most sound good to me but I doubt my kids would like them, though they eat things that I wouldn't so I will try this on the kind of day that could use an adult special!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 8:58 pm
I make lentil burgers by combining cooked lentils with a mixture of sautéed onion, carrot and garlic then add egg, flour, breadcrumbs and season to taste. Form into patties and bake. Serve layered in a bun with onion, pickles and condiments.

I also make dairy ones by combining cooked lentils, egg, crushed garlic, breadcrumbs, seasoning and some shredded cheese and then baking.

Love mejadra lentil rice dish.

You can use lentils as a filler together with ground meat in sloppy joes.

I also like lentil salad.

There was a honey baked lentil recipe here though I haven't tried.

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:00 pm
I'm not sure how it would go over taste-wise, but for kids do you think it would work to use a lentil burger recipe and bake it in a shape similar to fish sticks to be eaten as finger food instead of a burger? Do they hold together well enough? (and ra_mom, do you have approximate proportions for what you described?)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:13 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm not sure how it would go over taste-wise, but for kids do you think it would work to use a lentil burger recipe and bake it in a shape similar to fish sticks to be eaten as finger food instead of a burger? Do they hold together well enough? (and ra_mom, do you have approximate proportions for what you described?)

You could make the burgers in the shape of fish sticks but they kind of need burger fixins to make them more real... So make sure to puree well and use enough binder so they have the right texture, and then season the mixture well as you taste so they taste right. Serve with ketchup or a well seasoned pink sauce (ketchup / mayo).

Cook up 1 cup lentils to yield about 2 1/2 cups cooked lentils or use 1.5 drained and rinsed cans of lentils. Then combine with chopped and sautéed mixture of 1 large onion, 1 carrot and 2-3 garlic cloves. Add 1 egg, 1/2 tsp curry and 1 tsp each cumin and coriander. Blend well in food processor. Add about 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs, slowly, only using as much as you need, and a tbsp flour if need more binding. Season very generously with salt as you taste mixture.
Form into balls and flatten on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes, turning over halfway through.

seeker

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:38 pm
Thanks. I think I'll try that for supper one night and if it goes over well then I have another potential lunch idea Very Happy

WastingTime

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:14 am
Instead of rice and lentils I've done it with bulgur and was very yummy too

chouli

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:01 am
I make lentil salad. Cooked lentils with parsley, lemon juice, onions, salt and pepper. Easy to make ad my kids like it

OutATowner

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 5:16 am
I make burgers with lentils, salsa, and oats. I posted it on here once. I will try to find it later. It's so easy and delicious!

etky

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 5:27 am
Aside from Majadra, I make another lentil/rice dish, with onions and carrots, that is baked.
It is less seasoned than Majadra so your kids might prefer something like that.
We also like lentil salad.
And aside from lentil soup, I also like to add lentils to vegetable soup for added texture and nutrients. Your kids probably won't even notice they are there.

be good

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:14 am
we love this baked lentil dish.
http://www.pennilessparenting.......html
You can replace the onion with onion powder and just chop the carrots, to save time.we sometimes to half lentils/half rice

shooting star

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 7:46 pm
I make a curry (mild, not hot) with lentils, if your family is into that. My toddler and baby eat it.

http://detoxinista.com/2014/08.....urry/

mamaroo

Post Wed, Jun 29 2016, 4:08 pm
Lentils with rice it's called imjadra and you prepare yogurt with cucumber and some dry peppermint leaves to put on top of the rice it's very tasty

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:22 am
There are different varieties of lentils. Which ones do you have?

For red lentils, I tend to make either soup or curry (daal). Sautee chopped onions and celery (cooking pulses and celery allegedly reduces gas), add lentils, curry sauce (I use bottled ones) or curry powder, cover with water, maybe add a bit of tomato sauce/paste. It's good for recipes where lentils get cooked very soft/mushy. I occasionally do baked casserole, cook red lentils till mushy, add beaten eggs, grated cheese, and bake in a casserole.

For Puy lentils (greyish green, tiny), I love simply cooking with enough slightly salted water till soft but still with some bites and not mushy. Drain, dress with plain vinaigrettes (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper) and chopped parsley. Can be served warm or room temp with salad. They're also great added to rice, bulgher. A rather nutty texture/flavour.

You can also add either types of lentils to soup. Our family's favourite is the Moroccan soup called harira which has chopped tomato, chopped celery (incl leaves), onion, small bits of lamb (I use leftover lamb shoulder pieces from Shabbat, sometimes including bones) and lentil, where you squeeze lemon right before eating.

If you'd like something child-friendly, a good way to use lentil is to mix cooked lentils in regular meatloaf or burgers.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 8:35 am
I make a vegetarian chili with lentils that everyone in my family eats. I serve it with cornbread and a salad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics