Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Best Storage Containers
1  2  Next

pause

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:35 am
I'm looking to buy large airtight containers for storing off-season and outgrown clothing in an attic. Which containers would you give the Best Value award?

Marion

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 1:01 pm
Rubbermaid.

pause

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 1:11 pm
Marion wrote:
Rubbermaid.
Which size?

Marion

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 2:20 pm
Depends what you want them for. I have no idea what the current sizing is, but they are the best ones out there for large storage.

sky

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:53 pm
I had been storing all my kids clothing in Rubbermaid containers.
But I think now I like the clear sterilite containers better, don't know the size. It is easier to see inside.
But even better are the very large ziplock vacuum bags. I think they take up less space. I just pack them by size and season.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 7:15 pm
I use the clear Sterilite containers from the Target line. They really are the best priced and work out wonderfully! But I don't know many containers that are actually airtight.

Miri7

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 7:17 pm
Sterilite clear. So you can see inside. I also put a sign inside "Girls winter size 4-5". They stack well and hold a lot.

pause

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:56 pm
sky wrote:
I had been storing all my kids clothing in Rubbermaid containers.
But I think now I like the clear sterilite containers better, don't know the size. It is easier to see inside.
But even better are the very large ziplock vacuum bags. I think they take up less space. I just pack them by size and season.

I have one such a bag and I love it for under bed/crib storage. However, it's not airtight. And it's not stackable. For attic storage, I'd need stackable.

pause

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I use the clear Sterilite containers from the Target line. They really are the best priced and work out wonderfully! But I don't know many containers that are actually airtight.
Would you be able to post a link to which one you like?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:19 pm
pause wrote:
Would you be able to post a link to which one you like?

They don't have the same sizing and pricing online. It's a pain for me to go in but worth it. I get the sterilite clearview latchtop box 64 quart for $7.99 at the store.
They store a ton, stack beautifully, and the pricing can't be beat.
They are not airtight. I have yet to find airtight containers and not sure if they would be worse for age stains in any case.

ETA I tried googling and see that walmart.com has a set of 6 for $45, so that's really awesome.

I actually have some extra ones since we don't have a basement anymore.

pause

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:34 pm
Thanks ra_mom.
I see there are larger sizes available. (72 qt and 104 qt) Is there a reason you like specifically this size?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 10:47 pm
When we had larger containers, things kind of just got lost in there.
They're big. Check out the sizes in real life to get an idea as to what works for you.
These also fit under a beds that can accommodate pull outs. I kept most of these in the basement, but there were times I brought up a box to keep handy for emergencies, or waiting for the kid to grow into something and the like. They're not so jumbo that they can't fit on the floor closet or be carried, but they are still very big.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 18 2016, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

pause

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 10:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
They're big. Check out the sizes in real life to get an idea as to what works for you.

I hear. Thanks!

LittleDucky

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 12:07 am
Are airtight containers necessary? I put my clothes in garbage bags and then in any old box I have, even cardboard. Am I doing this wrong? I am thinking long term storage- my "pregnancy clothes" or kids clothes for a few years until the next one...

pause

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 3:33 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Are airtight containers necessary? I put my clothes in garbage bags and then in any old box I have, even cardboard. Am I doing this wrong? I am thinking long term storage- my "pregnancy clothes" or kids clothes for a few years until the next one...

I've been doing that until now, but I don't like it and looking to revamp.

I'm not sure airtight is necessary but it needs to be bug-proof.

Also, I like to see what's in the box.
And I want reusable boxes, not boxes that each time I take them down need to be replaced because someone tore the handle slot.

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 2:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
These also fit under a beds that can accommodate pull outs. I kept most of these in the basement, but there were times I brought up a box to keep handy for emergencies, or waiting for the kid to grow into something and the like. They're not so jumbo that they can't fit on the floor closet or be carried, but they are still very big.

Since 2016 have the containers recommended above, held up the best?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 2:23 pm
Mevater wrote:
Since 2016 have the containers recommended above, held up the best?

We still use them. 1 for the canvas walls and straps and tools. 1 for the decorations. Store in the basement. Bring up for sukkos.
We got rid of our clothes storage downstairs. Realized it was a waste. When they sit in containers they don't get used. I donate faster. And Whatever we know we'll use in the next 2 years we need to find room for in the regular closet so we see it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Oct 12 2022, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 2:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We still use them. 1 for the canvas walls and straps and tools. 1 for the decorations. Store in the basement. Bring up for sukkos.
We got rid of our clothes storage downstairs. Realized it was a waste. When they sit in containers they don't get used. I donate faster.

Thanks. Oh how Id love to be able to part w more stuff.

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 6:52 pm
I see on the Target website some clear containers have blue latches, some have purple latches.

Is there anything different about the containers, besides the color of the latches?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 12 2022, 7:09 pm
They have different colors for different runs but I find them the same.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics