Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is grocery delivery a New York thing?
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:10 pm
I've lived in NY my entire life. I pretty much always get my groceries delivered. I only go to the store if I forget to put something I need in my order. Actually, I do pretty much all my shopping online. Even clothes and shoes, I buy online, try them on (or have kids try them on) and return what doesn't fit. I don't go to stores unless I need something immediately and cannot wait for it to be delivered.
Every now and then, Dh and I discuss the possibility of moving. Dh said that only in NY do people have groceries delivered. I honestly think not having grocery delivery available would be deal-breaker for me. I don't worry about other stuff because Amazon will deliver everywhere, but if I can't order my groceries online and get them delivered, well, I don't think I can manage. So, is it true that it's a New York thing? Or are there OOT grocery stores that deliver?

sourstix

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:11 pm
well in lakewood they deliver. so no its not just a newyork thing.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:18 pm
I guess I should amend that to new York area. Lakewood is on the edge of the NY metro area and not really OOT.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:29 pm
Most places in America you drive to get to places. Then when you are done at the store you load the bags into your car.

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:33 pm
It's mostly a NY/Lakewood thing but it is starting to spread to other places. Google express delivers now, notonly dry goods but also potatoes and onions from costco.

bigsis144

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:34 pm
I grew up in Los Angeles, which is serious Everybody Drives kind of city. So grocery delivery is a foreign concept. I remember services like Peapod and Pink Dot, but they weren't anything that frum or even "typical" people used.

Besides, I can't imagine trusting someone else to pick out my produce for me, for example.
I know exactly what level of ripeness I want, I'm fine substituting Fuji apples for Pink Lady apples if the former is on sale, or I didn't even know that pineapples were cheap this week and hey, throw one into my order 'cuz they look really good.

I could totally do a subscription service for dry goods, like diapers, toilet paper, etc., but for food I just enjoy buying things on a moment of inspiration.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:48 pm
The stores advertise their sales every week. I love grocery delivery! And I hate crowds. Shopping online takes 15 minutes instead of an hour or more. Bliss.

I know grocery delivery is becoming more common though. (Like freshdirect.com is now available in NY, NJ, Delaware, Connecticut and PA) so op when you pick a potential place, check out the delivery options then.

Orchid

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:52 pm
Yes, it's a NY/Lakewood/Yerushalayim thing.

But if you move OOT, shopping is pure bliss. Huge parking lots with thousands of parking spots. Huge wide aisles that can easily fit 2 shopping carts side by side. Polite cashiers and baggers.

You win some, you lose some.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:54 pm
It's a New York thing.

Outside of NY, you can get groceries delivered but it's expensive and I don't know anyone who uses them. Amazon has a delivery service for fresh stuff which costs $300 per year and has an extensive list of items. There is a service called envoy which will shop at Trader Joes for you which costs $45 for two deliveries a month up to I think $200 per order or you can hire them one time for $10 plus 10% of the order. I think Pavillions also delivers for $10 but I haven't checked them out recently.

Thre are some other services that proved delivery but again are quite expensive.

Outside of NY, people drive to stores that have large parking lots and it is not nightmarish as it can be in NY. As another poster wrote, most people want to pick out the produce.

One issue poor people without cars have is the lack of good grocery stores in their neighborhood. They are forced to purchase at small stores which have a listed assortment of stuff - especially healthy items and prices are high.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:57 pm
Other grocery stores out of town so delivery, too. Shoprite, giant. Maybe more. It's definitely a growing trend.

PAMOM

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 3:59 pm
No, my family in Boston suburbs, Philadelphia suburbs, and Pittsburgh all have groceries delivered and there's no charge if you buy a minimum. The stores don't necessarily have kosher meat (some do) but you can usually get meat delivered if you buy enough.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 4:01 pm
I I live in Baltimore. Seven mile market, our one and only kosher grocery store (soon to be joined by Seasons hopefully) only started delivering very recently.
It is not a cheap service, IIRC its a minimum of $10 delivery fee.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 4:29 pm
In Chicago we have instacart which is like a personal shopper for the grocery stores. The small kosher store also does delivery.

Optione

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 4:34 pm
Orchid wrote:

But if you move OOT, shopping is pure bliss. Huge parking lots with thousands of parking spots. Huge wide aisles that can easily fit 2 shopping carts side by side. Polite cashiers and baggers.

You win some, you lose some.

This.
When I lived OOT it never occurred to me to have groceries delivered; living in NY I use delivery at least 50% of the time.

mazal555

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:06 pm
They usually don't deliver, but 1) you can get a chest freezer and freeze almost anything and then you don't grocery shop as often and it is fresher (I even freeze milk) and 2) grocery shopping OOT is not 1/10 of the hassle it is in NY and 3) groceries are much cheaper when you shop in the store so it's really worth it to do it yourself

g

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:17 pm
Def a ny thing

watergirl

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:48 pm
g wrote:
Def a ny thing

Did you read the replies? Many people here just listed their cities and the fact that there is delivery. NOT an ny only thing.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:53 pm
Orchid wrote:

I live in E"Y, not in the Yerushalayim area, and all our supermarkets have delivery options. It is very common in Israel.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:10 pm
it certainly seems like a new york thing ... then again soon technology will read your mind and your every craving will be delivered

just like the jetson's robot rosie

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 9:12 pm
greenfire wrote:
it certainly seems like a new york thing ... then again soon technology will read your mind and your every craving will be delivered

Don't forget the most important part - we'll be able to download food. And chocolate.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics