Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DS sprays up the bathroom :(

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:22 pm
Nothing has helped. I need ideas so that I'm not forced to wash the entire bathroom five times a day.

I've showed him how to go. I made him call me each time he needs to go so that I can supervise. I complimented him when he went himself and didn't shpritz. I threatened him that he'll have to wear pampers. Sad

And still, each time I sit down on the seat, I get wet. Upon further investigation, the entire floor is wet, the tank behind the toilet, the wall, and of course the outside of the bowl. Raah! I can't wait to have my own master bathroom!

But how do I train him to aim????

nnmom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:24 pm
How old is he?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:25 pm
Oh, and having him sit was way worse. He leaves the bathroom door open, so he ended up shooting his urine straight across past the doorway and getting the vanity all wet!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:26 pm
nnmom wrote:
How old is he?
Five and half and he's trained since he was 2. Always been a problem. Thought he'll outgrow it. It seems like in nursery it became a game to spritz up the whole bathroom. The lack of supervision there was a whole nother issue. But it's already a year since.

Kumphort

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:26 pm
Never tried these but saw them suggested.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF.....arget

Looks like fun

I think the issue is also if they wait till the last second.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:27 pm
Kumphort wrote:

I think the issue is also if they wait till the last second.

Makes sense. How do you deal with that?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:31 pm
I know someone with the same issue and their son had surgery to correct his hole so it comes out normally. Excuse the language please. Are you sure he doesn't have a similar problem?

nnmom

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:43 pm
I once read a suggestion about putting Cheerios in the bowl for "target practice".

He is definitely old enough for an incentive chart. I take an old shoe box and fill it with "prizes" from the dollar stuff. Stuff I know my kid would love. You can do a prize at the end of each day. I did one Friday afternoon for 1 1/2 months. The corrected behavior stayed and the box has a couple leftover prizes.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:50 pm
amother wrote:
I know someone with the same issue and their son had surgery to correct his hole so it comes out normally. Excuse the language please. Are you sure he doesn't have a similar problem?

Surgery sounds drastic. But perhaps I should bring it up with the pediatrician at his next visit.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:52 pm
amother wrote:

This!
Op please have your son checked by a pediatric urologist. It's no joke. Many boys have this and don't know. It can cause problems later on in life.

My son had the procedure done, it's called a meatoplasty. It's an outpatient procedure, recovery is a few days. No big deal but so important.

And yes my toilets are cleaner Smile

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:52 pm
nnmom wrote:
I once read a suggestion about putting Cheerios in the bowl for "target practice".

He is definitely old enough for an incentive chart. I take an old shoe box and fill it with "prizes" from the dollar stuff. Stuff I know my kid would love. You can do a prize at the end of each day. I did one Friday afternoon for 1 1/2 months. The corrected behavior stayed and the box has a couple leftover prizes.

This hasn't worked with other stuff. He is an easygoing kid and simply can't be bothered to work hard on anything even with wonderful motivation. He hardly receives chart rewards (bedtime chart, etc) because he does what he wants when he wants without thinking about the future.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:
Surgery sounds drastic. But perhaps I should bring it up with the pediatrician at his next visit.

I wouldn't quite call it "surgery" although that's probably the technical term. More like in hospital procedure.

Pediatrician is a good first step.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:58 pm
have him stand on a stool (assuming he is in preschool) and lean forward to hold the top of the upturned toilet seat. instant aim.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:59 pm
Op do you have other boys that you can compare to? The stream is not supposed to be that powerful that it shoots out of the room. Think of pushing water out of a balloon from a small hole vs a big hole. The smaller hole will shoot really far.
My urologist explained to me, if not treated it can affect the kidneys 20 years down the line. Please check it out.

gibberish

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:08 pm
Buy a target or fly sticker and put it in the toilet. Your son will have fun learning to aim and squirt the fly and it should keep your bathroom much cleaner!

http://www.amazon.com/TRAINING.....3KO2E

http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Ta.....oilet

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
Op do you have other boys that you can compare to? The stream is not supposed to be that powerful that it shoots out of the room. Think of pushing water out of a balloon from a small hole vs a big hole. The smaller hole will shoot really far.
My urologist explained to me, if not treated it can affect the kidneys 20 years down the line. Please check it out.
I have one other son and he's not like that. He sat while urinating for the first 3-4 years and didn't need any extra help to aim it in. Now when he stands, he has the opposite issue - he has to hold on to his private part in order to aim it forward.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 4:54 am
amother wrote:
I have one other son and he's not like that. He sat while urinating for the first 3-4 years and didn't need any extra help to aim it in. Now when he stands, he has the opposite issue - he has to hold on to his private part in order to aim it forward.

I only have a daughter, and a sister, so I don't know much about these things. I always thought that all men/boys had to hold it to aim. Don't they? What

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 5:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I only have a daughter, and a sister, so I don't know much about these things. I always thought that all men/boys had to hold it to aim. Don't they? What

Maybe some do but I have 6 younger brothers and a son and none of them hold it to aim..

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 5:13 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

DH told me that a man should not hold himself while "making".
My son is now too tall to use a stepstool since he just hits the back of the toilet. Now he stands on the floor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children