Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New Hempstead or Wesley Hills

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:18 am
Hi my family and I are thinking of relocating to the Monsey area. We are narrowed our search to New Hempstead area and Wesley Hills. Anyone familiar with both and can objectively differentiate them for us?
I hate to put people in boxes or label them but to get an idea of our family I will.
We are a frum family with 3 children 6 yo and under. I fully cover (but not at home unless someone other than my immediate family is there), started to wear closed toe shoes in the summer and trying to work on wearing tights in the summer, allow my children educational "screen time" but do not have tv channels or cable. I want my children to see diversity (in terms of religious "levels") but would like majority of my neighborhood to be at my level or a little above. My daughter goes to Bais Yaakov of Queens now and I am thinking of YSV for her. My husband and I are both working and my husband learns most nights and/or mornings.
I am nervous that I will move to a neighborhood and then in a few years have to move out because it will become heavily chassidish (like many other areas) and than I will feel out of place. This is nothing against chassidim chas v'shalom. Do you see this happening to New Hempstead or Wesley Hills?
Any insights, comparisons or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm having a hard time figuring this out because the areas are so close together...

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:24 am
I have a sister who lives in New Hempstead and it sounds like you would fit into her neighborhood....and I know there are houses for sale there. In terms of it becoming Chassidish, I don't think it will happen so fast. There are enough people there who are quite comfortable and settled. It's a very warm and friendly community right now.

Don't know much about Wesley Hills to compare.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 2:16 pm
What part of new hempstead and wesley hills were u looking into?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 2:22 pm
OP here:
I am really not sure as I am not familiar with the areas. I do not like hills btw so I want my home to be flat. I know the areas are big that is another reason I cant figure it out... Please help! Smile

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 2:35 pm
My sister's block is flat, and I love how one yard goes into the next in a seemingly endless expanse of green.....

The area, however, is hilly. So your entire couple of blocks might be flat, but then it's built into the side of a huge hill.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 2:40 pm
maybe consider Pomona.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 3:13 pm
Both wesley hills and new Hempstead are a good fit for you although they are such large areas. I would find a shul you are comfortable with and look based on that. - my big regret.

Monsey in general is hilly but like others said you can find flat property or flat streets.
Another piece of advice is to
Check with schools. The schools are very full. Waiting lists.
Hatzlacha.

( mother Bc I've been saying this so much)

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 5:44 pm
Op here:
Ty all. Keep the responses coming Wink
thats a great idea about looking at shuls first.We are sephardim I only know of two shuls that are sephardi but not in these areas. Anyone know of any sephardi minyanim or areas more populated with sephardim?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 6:18 pm
There is a sefardi shul in forshay that I know ppl from pomona walk to.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 8:25 pm
OP again:
But that would be to far from wesley hills or new hemstead right?
Also I just heard wesley hills is a very wealthy neighborhood. Is this true everywhere? How does the materialism compare to New Hempstead?
Please give me specifics when describing areas as I dont know anything about the areas. Ty!!!

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 8:53 pm
I think a good realtor would be able to answer your questions about shuls and neighborhoods. But use more than one. Learn from my mistakes.
Sorry I can't answer all your questions. Im kind of socially isolated.

But do bear in mind again the school issues.

Blessing1

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:06 pm
Wesley hills is not very far from forshay.
Many chassidim are moving out to Pomona. Theres a large belz community there.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 9:59 pm
Wesley hills is a fancier neighborhood then new Hempstead. New hempstead is pretty simple.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:17 am
wow amother your situation is so similar to mine. I feel like you typed the words out of my mind! I would love to speak to you if that's okay. My daughter also goes to BYQ and we are Sephardic too. Do you mind pm'ing me?
Thanks!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:26 am
wow amother your situation is so similar to mine. I feel like you typed the words out of my mind! I would love to speak to you if that's okay. My daughter also goes to BYQ and we are Sephardic too. Do you mind pm'ing me?
Thanks!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:43 am
Wesley is really wonderful.. The people are wealthy but very down to earth.
Rabbi Veiner shul is ideal, albeit not Sefardic. There is also Kiryas Radin nearby.

Disclaimer: I don't live there, I just go to my relatives every yom tov.

ALSO like everyone has been saying...

FIND A SCHOOL FIRST

gold21

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 10:49 am
Speak to a good realtor to be sure you're moving to a young block with kids for your kids to play with, cuz a lot of blocks are older

But both Wesley Hills and New Hempstead could work for you

There's also Scotland Hill (I believe that's the name of the area) in Chestnut Ridge

Monsey is becoming more and more chassidish, so for most neighborhoods it may just be a matter of time, but who knows, maybe not. Hard to predict, but chassidish influence in Monsey is definitely growing by leaps and bounds.

But I would say, of the three neighborhoods I mentioned, that Wesley Hills currently has the strong litvish influences- not much of a chassidish influence there as of now.

I wouldn't describe the younger crowd in Wesley Hills as wealthy, to my knowledge it's a nice down to earth crowd.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating