Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Should I get the free sinks from the fabricator or buy?

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:16 pm
The granite fabricator offers the option of free stainless steel 18 gauge sinks, about 8-8.5 inches deep. They are a 'no name' brand. Are these sinks good or should I buy my own?
Rubber ducky? Other mavens?
Also should I get rectangle or d shape?

mommyla

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:47 pm
Generally the lower the gauge, the better quality. So 16 gauge is ideal, but 18 is still okay. I prefer deeper sinks, but that's your choice... I also don't like D-shaped bowls (never got the point, rectangular is more space efficient) but again that's a matter of preference.

Since it's granite, changing the sink is a big deal, so don't just choose it because it's free - find out who makes the sink and get reviews, talk to people who have them, etc. It's not worth the heartache to get an inferior sink.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 10:55 pm
Definitely, definitely get deeper sinks. 8 inches is not deep enough.
Also, make sure the rims are installed under the granite, so that it's seamless. No rims on the counters.
And I love D shaped sinks. So pretty and with big enough sinks the shape makes no difference in space efficiency.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:09 pm
I like the D-shape if it works with your faucets — the shape will push the faucet off center. They hold a greater volume in the same cabinet as a rectangular shape, and the curved back follows the shape of large plates and pots (but not baking sheets Wink ).
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Try to find out the brand of the "no-name" sink and then look for reviews (especially anyone reporting rust issues or warping). Best if you can find reviews from people who have had the sinks for awhile. I assume they're Chinese-made... which makes them hard to rate. 18-gauge is fine. Does the fabricator offer a warranty on the sinks? If not, go out and purchase brand names.

I disagree with ra_mom about sink depth if you are on the shorter side and plan to wash many dishes by hand. A deep sink can be very uncomfortable if you have trouble reaching the bottom. If you currently have top mount sinks, your new sinks will seem over an inch deeper just by being undermounted.

anonymrs

Post Thu, May 19 2016, 11:14 pm
What brands of kitchen sinks are good?

Meglmom

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 1:33 am
I took the free "no name" D shape sinks that my granite guy offered and love it! It's about 10yrs old and looks brand new..

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 7:32 am
I don't think they'll tell me the brand. I'm sure it's 'generic' so I won't b able to see reviews. I don't think there's any guarantee.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
I don't think they'll tell me the brand. I'm sure it's 'generic' so I won't b able to see reviews. I don't think there's any guarantee.

Then you you might want to read reviews of the fabricator. How do they deal with problems?

If money is not a significant concern, buy your own sinks. Elkay, Blanco, and Franke are established brands with good products — there are others.

anonymrs

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 10:53 am
Thanks Rubber Ducky. I'm not the op, but I appreciate the info Smile

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 2:49 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I like the D-shape if it works with your faucets — the shape will push the faucet off center. They hold a greater volume in the same cabinet as a rectangular shape, and the curved back follows the shape of large plates and pots (but not baking sheets Wink ).
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Try to find out the brand of the "no-name" sink and then look for reviews (especially anyone reporting rust issues or warping). Best if you can find reviews from people who have had the sinks for awhile. I assume they're Chinese-made... which makes them hard to rate. 18-gauge is fine. Does the fabricator offer a warranty on the sinks? If not, go out and purchase brand names.

I disagree with ra_mom about sink depth if you are on the shorter side and plan to wash many dishes by hand. A deep sink can be very uncomfortable if you have trouble reaching the bottom. If you currently have top mount sinks, your new sinks will seem over an inch deeper just by being undermounted.

I'm sorry, I was totally mistaken. I should have measured the depth of my sinks before typing.
My sinks are about 9.5" deep, but actual sink depth is about 8.5" inches. They sit under the granite. And they are wonderfully deep enough.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics