Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why am I bothered by her comment?
Previous  1  2

amother
Rose

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
my baby was in NYU NICU couple of months ago. we b"H had a good experience (he was there only couple of days for minor complication).
in a conversation with a friend today she was telling me that so & so has a preemie in Maimonides and even though they don't live nearby they are traveling here because they have a great hospital as opposed to NYU which has a horrible NICU...
why is this bothering me hours later????

Was your friend aware that your baby was in NYU NICU?

gp2.0

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 10:05 am
nursemomma wrote:
In line with this and your other posts, just wanted to say that maybe next time get educated about the healthcare industry before putting out random facts. For starters, many large hospitals are joining or being bought out by other healthcare systems, purely for ECONOMICAL reasons Rolling Eyes ...In today's economy, it is very difficult for a single hospital to stay afloat. Take a look at what happened to LICH...
Secondly, Maimonides does have many areas that they excel in. Additionally, although I don't think their NICU is top ranked, they actually have one of the highest numbers of deliveries yearly in the NY area.

If they have the highest numbers of deliveries, it's because they are located nearby thousands of women who give birth very often. Not because people choose them specifically as a great hospital to give birth in. They are well known to be unable to handle the sheer amount of deliveries, with many horror stories of women giving birth on cots in the public hallways with their doctors absent.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 10:07 am
nursemomma wrote:
In line with this and your other posts, just wanted to say that maybe next time get educated about the healthcare industry before putting out random facts. For starters, many large hospitals are joining or being bought out by other healthcare systems, purely for ECONOMICAL reasons Rolling Eyes ...In today's economy, it is very difficult for a single hospital to stay afloat. Take a look at what happened to LICH...
Secondly, Maimonides does have many areas that they excel in. Additionally, although I don't think their NICU is top ranked, they actually have one of the highest numbers of deliveries yearly in the NY area.

I just want to comment on the last part of your post.
That's really not proving anything as they are located in an area whigh probably has the highest number of births a year. (Boro Park Chassidim are having way more babies than Manhattan women. How many women in NYC do you know that have have children every year, 18 months, 2 years etc...) Some of these women feel no need to travel to a hospital assuming that all is fine during pregnancy, and others prefer to travel to Staten Island and NYC to deliver.

On the other hand , how often do you hear of women that reside in SI or NYC coming into Brooklyn to deliver at Maimonides....?

nursemomma

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:36 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
If they have the highest numbers of deliveries, it's because they are located nearby thousands of women who give birth very often. Not because people choose them specifically as a great hospital to give birth in. They are well known to be unable to handle the sheer amount of deliveries, with many horror stories of women giving birth on cots in the public hallways with their doctors absent.

Most women choose doctors, not hospitals. Bigger hospitals=more money=more advanced technology=better doctors. That is why women with complications seek care in Manhattan. That does not make a more local hospital "dinky" in any way.
The more experience one has, the better they are at that. Maimonides is actually a great place to deliver for uncomplicated births.
Either way, my point was not which hospital is better/worse, more so that people should not make uneducated statements that have no basis. I think every hospital has its pros and cons, depending on the situation.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:47 pm
you are bothered because she is insinuating you didn't choose the right hospital ... so long as you didn't end up in coney island hospital - known to kill their patients slowly by not approving proper medical attention - then you did okay

either way please just ignore stupid comments

gold21

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:55 pm
You shouldnt be bothered by her comment, since its illogical.

"I think living in a home with windows is very bad for your circadian rythms. It is imperative that you buy a home without windows. Sunlight in the home is bad for you and bad for your kids."

Wink Lol. I mean, people can say all kinds of random things, but if it doesn't make any sense, why let it bother you....

I dont know much about NYU, but I think Maimonides is a very safe place to deliver babies and to operate on children. Many women, however, find it is just an UNPLEASANT experience- it is not an UNSAFE experience. It is very safe. It is not always so pleasant. I think thats why it can be referred to as "dinky". It is a great safe choice for many medical situations. For women/children who need more sensitive care (not safer care, just more sensitive care- I.e. compassionate nursing staff, supportive environment...), they will look elsewhere. Its a personal choice, not a right vs wrong choice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics