Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nervous about bunk beds

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 11:11 am
I'm about to move my 2 oldest kids, 5 and 3, into the same room. I was looking for matching beds and everyone- people I know, and salespeople- are suggesting bunk beds. I feel like they're a little young, and honestly not sure how anyone does bunk beds. I wouldn't trust them not to make a game of jumping off the top. Also, the 5 year old recently broke his arm, not even doing anything particularly dangerous, so I would be terrified to get a bunk bed. How do people do it?

PassionFruit

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 11:49 am
https://www.bunkbedking.com/co.....resso
thi is sturdy

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 11:56 am
I'm not concerned about sturdiness, I'm concerned about kids being kids and doing something stupid like jumping off.

PassionFruit

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 11:59 am
I guess you have to know your kids and if they would jump off, how bad it would be. My kid had a bunk bed at age 3 and slept on the top. Yes, he jumped off. It was a bunk bed with a trundle under the bottom one. We would keep that pulled out all the time so that if they jumped they would fall on the mattress.

teddyb

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:28 pm
AAP doesn't recommend kids sleep on a top bunk till at least 6. A Dr was telling me bunk beds account for a lot of injuries. I wouldn't put a 5yo up top.

However, they do sell bunk beds that come apart to two separate beds. I would look into one like that. Use it separately for now and down the line you can make it into bunk beds when your kids get older or if you need/want the space.

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:39 pm
I wouldn't put a child under 6 on a top bunk.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
I'm about to move my 2 oldest kids, 5 and 3, into the same room. I was looking for matching beds and everyone- people I know, and salespeople- are suggesting bunk beds. I feel like they're a little young, and honestly not sure how anyone does bunk beds. I wouldn't trust them not to make a game of jumping off the top. Also, the 5 year old recently broke his arm, not even doing anything particularly dangerous, so I would be terrified to get a bunk bed. How do people do it?

We bought a bunk bed when our oldest was 7. We bought bunk beds that easily separate into two proper beds and a pull out hi riser bed fits underneath the bunk bed too. So very versatile.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 20 2016, 2:40 pm
the bunk bed with trundle makes 3 beds ... purchase now & only set up as bed with trundle and when the oldest reaches the recommended age - pop it out

not only are these beds more sturdy - you will own them for a long time to come and can rearrange them as life cycles change -

that's what we did when we had 4 kids in the same room

L K

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 7:26 pm
I have a different question though: what do you do if the top-bunk child is sick?

animeme

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 7:49 pm
L K wrote:
I have a different question though: what do you do if the top-bunk child is sick?

We put him on the floor for that, or an air mattress (I'm assuming you mean if sudden bathroom trips are needed).

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, May 21 2016, 8:03 pm
we bought bunk beds for my girls 6 and 4 that separate. we have them split now with the intention we can put them together later on if we need to.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:59 am
Some bunk beds are actually pretty low. I only let a kid sleep on top if they can get in and out easily for nocturnal bathroom trips. I do not like changing sheets when it's difficult to reach.

L K

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 6:37 am
animeme wrote:
We put him on the floor for that, or an air mattress (I'm assuming you mean if sudden bathroom trips are needed).

Not necessarily bathroom trips but if a kid is unwell I can't imagine him or her climbing up and down when having a fever or being generally weak or in pain.

L K

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 6:39 am
greenfire wrote:
the bunk bed with trundle makes 3 beds ... purchase now & only set up as bed with trundle and when the oldest reaches the recommended age - pop it out

not only are these beds more sturdy - you will own them for a long time to come and can rearrange them as life cycles change -

that's what we did when we had 4 kids in the same room

Can you recommend a good quality brand?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics