Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My son was sent out of class...

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:35 pm
... because he was sneezing too much.

Ds is 11. A very bright and well behaved boy b"h. He started sneezing a lot like over a week ago. It's the hay fever season here. He never suffered from it but I put him on a one a day tablet for allergies. On Thursday I saw its getting out of hand and he's sneezing way too much so I took him to the gp. Hehad sneezing attacks, like 15 at a time.
When we were at gp he didn't stop sneezing. Doctor was surprised. He put him on a different tablet and a nasal spray. I kept him home Thursday and Friday. He was feeling perfectly fine and I felt bad but wanted to see how the meds are working on him. He did get better but occasionally has sneezing attacks, especially when we're out, near a park, trees.

This morning he went back to Cheider. He came back so upset. He rebbi sent him out of class cos it was bothering the learning. He was outside for over an hour.
The rebbi said that if he can keep himself back from sneezing he can come back in.

I told him that next time he should call home and come home. It's not his fault.

I'm planning on calling the principle to complain.

Any advice how I can stop this sneezing or how to deal with it? I don't wanna keep him home every day. He loves to learn

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:39 pm
I have no words to explain how this rebbe is so nasty! it boils my blood. I have had issues with rebbes and schools. why cant they hire decent people! maybe you should speak with the rebbe and ask that if ds has an attack he should walk out till it stops. why cant they think rationally these grown ups? I am dealing with a rebbe now too. they come across as so -----you fill in the blanks.

I have allergies too. the attack happens and then it goes away. at least for me. is this how its for your ds?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:40 pm
Hug

Oh, you're poor son! He shouldn't have been kicked out of class for something that was beyond his control!

My daughter has terrible seasonal allergies. We are now seeing a pediatric allergist who really helps us keep things under control. We've tried various remedies and some work better than others.

If you post your general location then maybe we can help you find a good allergist in your area.

sourstix

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:42 pm
the medication should put it under control. if it doesnt then get another one. make sure its non drowsy. and think in long term. to get him shots. that will be much better. anyone here have experience with shots that make a big difference?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:47 pm
amother wrote:
Hug

Oh, you're poor son! He shouldn't have been kicked out of class for something that was beyond his control!

My daughter has terrible seasonal allergies. We are now seeing a pediatric allergist who really helps us keep things under control. We've tried various remedies and some work better than others.

If you post your general location then maybe we can help you find a good allergist in your area.

I'm in London. He never had it before so we're trying out this medicine. If he doesn't get better this week I will take him back to the doctor for some blood work.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 1:50 pm
What medicine have you tried? Sometimes it's just a matter of trying until you find the right one. I have one kid on Claritin and another on Allegra and Flonase spray.
Maybe talk to your doctor about trying Benadryl overnight to clear his system, them going back to everyday medicine.
So unfortunate that he was sent out because of this. I hope you find the right medicine for him soon.

amother
Wheat

amother wrote:
I have no words to explain how this rebbe is so nasty! it boils my blood. I have had issues with rebbes and schools. why cant they hire decent people! maybe you should speak with the rebbe and ask that if ds has an attack he should walk out till it stops. why cant they think rationally these grown ups? I am dealing with a rebbe now too. they come across as so -----you fill in the blanks.

I have allergies too. the attack happens and then it goes away. at least for me. is this how its for your ds?

I totally agree. His morning rebbi is amazing and so understanding. He even met ds on shabbes and told him that he has no right to stay home for sneezing and he must come back to Cheider.
Dh already spoke to the principle and explained him the situation.
This time I'm gonna do the talking. Sometimes it helps better when a mother calls. They feel so uncomfortable.

sourstix

its obvious its pollen. so if this medication doesnt work a diff should. I would take blood work only if doctor thinks he needs it.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 5:21 pm
Op here.

So on Sunday I called the principle. He apologized a million times for the way the rebbe punished him. I explained that he's taking new meds now and he's slowly improving. If he's really bothering the class then he should call home and someone will pick him up. The principle was nice and very understanding

So yesterday afternoon ds called dh to let him know that he's sneezing and the rebbe doesn't want him in class. Dh was a minute away so he picked him up and brought him home. He hardly sneezed. I enjoyed his company at home

This morning he was totally ok.
He came home in TEARS.
The same rebbe (afternoon) didn't let him come in to class cos he heard him sneeze at break time (outside). After standing outside for 10 mins ds asked him kindly if he could come in. Rebbe Told him "do u want me to hit you? " with a smile on his face

Principle wasn't in office and there was nobody else there to call home so ds stood outside again for an hour and half

Took us a while to calm ds. He didn't wanna eat. Cried a lot. Dh took him out for a treat. He went to sleep feeling great but wants to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.

Maya

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 5:29 pm
He couldn't stay in the classroom because he was sneezing?! shock

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 5:31 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

So on Sunday I called the principle. He apologized a million times for the way the rebbe punished him. I explained that he's taking new meds now and he's slowly improving. If he's really bothering the class then he should call home and someone will pick him up. The principle was nice and very understanding

So yesterday afternoon ds called dh to let him know that he's sneezing and the rebbe doesn't want him in class. Dh was a minute away so he picked him up and brought him home. He hardly sneezed. I enjoyed his company at home

This morning he was totally ok.
He came home in TEARS.
The same rebbe (afternoon) didn't let him come in to class cos he heard him sneeze at break time (outside). After standing outside for 10 mins ds asked him kindly if he could come in. Rebbe Told him "do u want me to hit you? " with a smile on his face

Principle wasn't in office and there was nobody else there to call home so ds stood outside again for an hour and half

Took us a while to calm ds. He didn't wanna eat. Cried a lot. Dh took him out for a treat. He went to sleep feeling great but wants to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.

Oh my gosh, that is HORRIBLE! I feel so bad for your son.

That rebbi needs to be ashamed of himself, and he will have a LOT to answer for in the World to Come. If the principle can't fix this, can you consider switching schools, or a different class in the afternoon?

I'm just furious for you. Mad

N'sMom

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:44 pm
I agree. That is just appalling. I feel so sorry for your poor little boy having to be embarrassed because of something ABSOLUTELY OUT OF HIS CONTROL. you need to talk to the principal and if you don't get satisfaction, look into another school. Too many children are messed up by abusive mechanchim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children