Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
May lose my job over lack of childcare

MountainRose

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:01 pm
I'm gearing up for my first summer in Manchester, and I called up Lubavitch daycamp to book my kid in. I wasn't super enthusiastic, because it's only for two weeks, and they're off for 5 weeks. What am I supposed to do with them for the other three? I have no more holiday!

As it happens, they were fully booked when I called (three days after registration opened). So now, I need to find 5 freaking weeks worth of childcare, and for some reason, the Jewish community in this country doesn't believe in summer camp lasting more than 2 weeks.

My boss is already upset about how much time I've taken off for school holidays. I think I may need to quit, and try to find a new job in the autumn - and continue every year until my kids stop needing childcare!

Crying What Exploding anger

water_bear88

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:04 pm
Oy. Is there a responsible teenager (or two) you could hire to babysit? I ran a small playgroup one summer with a friend when I was a teen (in the US, not the UK). Maybe there's something small near you, or a teen looking for summer work.

ally

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:21 pm
Do you know anyone else living near you/in your community who works full time with kids?
That is probably your best bet.
It's hard I know!

MountainRose

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:27 pm
So, we're new in town, and I don't know that many people. The other families in my son's class all have one parent home or working in education except for 2, and they are both going away on holiday . . . I don't know how to find people in the same boat. There MUST be others, but people consistently seem surprised by my question.

cm

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:41 pm
There must be other working parents in Manchester who can advise you. Is there an online board or email group serving your community?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:10 pm
I grew up in Manchester. Every summer from age 14 through 18 I would work as a babysitter for different people who were working. It wasnt that common, becasue most mothers seemed to try to save their vacation days for the summer becasue their kids were home. If you can plan in advance for future years regarding taking off time in the summer then I would work more easily for you.

Is lubavitch daycam p the only camp? It is definitey the best one - I loved going htere as a kid. There used to also be a camp at the jewish cultural center, I wonder if that one is still happening.
Ask around, see if there are other camps.
what about your husband - can he take off some time and you take off some time , so that its not so bad for eitehr of you?

ask people if they can think of a good babysitter, or advertise in the circular or the advertiser...
good luck

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:11 pm
How can your boss be upset? School is out for the entire city, no? You're not the only working parent in all of Manchester. Obviously everyone has the same issue. ARe you the only person with children in the entire company???

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:27 pm
Are you on Facebook? If so, try the "Top Tips For Mums - North" Facebook group - someone there may be able to help you.

Miri7

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 2:51 pm
I would look around in the community to try to find a sitter for your kids. Call any moms with older kids, if you know teachers in a high school, etc. they may know some nice mature older girls who would be interested in doing childcare over the summer.

self-actualization

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:51 am
Do not despair about childcare in the summer. That has always been my easiest time because the other working moms that take off don't need their regular babysitters and some of the very qualified babysitters are desperate for the income. Plus there are lots of college age and high school age girls that don't have plans and want a job. The trick is not losing your mind if the babysitting is inconsistent - some of the babysitters cancel for some days and you need to find replacements. Also keep pushing to get your kids into the Chabad camp - maybe other campers will back out or maybe they will get more staff and open up extra slots. Also ask around if there is any other camp being formed.

MountainRose

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 12:37 pm
I am thinking about all your recommendations to find a teenager . . .but what would a 16 yr old girl do with a 5 year old all summer? I would have thought he'd still go crazy . . . ?

Raisin

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 1:13 pm
MountainRose wrote:
I am thinking about all your recommendations to find a teenager . . .but what would a 16 yr old girl do with a 5 year old all summer? I would have thought he'd still go crazy . . . ?

take him to the park, or library, or he can play with her younger siblings if she has any. You can also arrange playdates.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 1:14 pm
They can bake, do crafts, read books, if you have outside space play in a sprinkler or kiddie pool.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 5:59 pm
Have you looked into non-Jewish camps? YMCAs and local community centers usually have camps. Also, are there any local colleges by you? They often have summer camp programs. Also, many museums have summer camp options.

I personally am not sending my son to Jewish camp this summer because the hours start too late for my work schedule or the Jewish camps are too far away. I'm using the local YMCA. They're great about kashrut, the location is around the corner from where I work and they have awesome hrs for working parents. My son had a blast there last year. Plus my kid is getting an opportunity to do sports and science camps he wouldn't get to do during the school years.

MountainRose

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:45 pm
I have found a non-Jewish camp that does packed lunches (harder to find than I would have believed!) It makes me sad that he'll miss out on Gan Israel. I loved it when I was a kid, but hopefully I'll call earlier next year and edge someone else out of a spot :-(

But I've still had to request unpaid leave for the last week in August / beginning of Sept, because even the non-Jewish camps aren't running then. I may try to find a teenager, because it's just the one week. My boss says he doesn't see how he can give me that week off because the other girl in the office is booked to go away that week, and he is too!! At least I'm not the only one who has trouble finding childcare. Next year, I'm booking all my holiday on Jan 1st!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:43 pm
DON’T QUIT. As much as your boss can be upset, you are entitled to unpaid parental leave by law
https://www.gov.uk/parental-leave (but I think you need to have worked for a certain period of time, also summer off school doesn't count as 'emergency' care). Alternatively can you arrange flex work just over the summer period?

Also, if you are not a single mother, fathers are entitled to the same parental leave.

Probably the most practical option is to find someone doing a backyard camp (often half day, arts and crafts types). United Synagogue tribe usually runs day camp schemes (not sure Manchester, in various London areas). Ask other parents what they do. I was desperate one year and literally farmed out my youngest to different families who had kindly had him over for extended playdates. Also many teachers (esp nurseries and receptions) do part-time work over summer as holiday nannies. Check websites like gumtree, childcare.co.uk, nannyjob.co.uk and put an ad or see if anyone is looking for summer jobs. Ask parents of teenagers if their children are available or know friends. (Obviously you need to interview.) If you can't find someone for the whole 5 weeks, see if you can find multiple solutions for each week, or different days of the week.

Yeah, daycamp places fill up quickly because many parents are repeaters and they book as soon as the fliers/emails go out. Agree most sleepaway camps are 2 weeks because we generally have just 5 weeks of summer holidays.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:39 pm
maybe you can pay another mother who is home with her kids anyway. Sad he should go to a non jewish camp. I do know what you are going through. I could not find long enough hours of child care and I have no family there that can pitch in. At the end I did loose my job and have not found another one. It is hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics