Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Did I do the right thing?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:18 pm
Last week my daughter was running a fever all week. Our pediatrician said if she was still running a fever by Friday, he wants her to come in for blood work. I didnt want to wait till erev shabbos so considering she woke up thursday morning with a fever, I called and spoke to a different pediatrician in the practice and he said I could come in for blood work then, especially since she had been running a fever since the previous sunday evening. I brought her in for blood work and some things came back abnormal, which I was told was normal to happen, considering she was fighting a virus. I was told to bring her back in in 2 weeks for another blood test just to be sure. What is really bothering me is that on Friday, she was no longer running a fever. If I would have just listened to the original pediatrician and waited till friday, all this could have been avoided and she would not have to go through another blood test in 2 weeks. Anyone else ever experience this? I feel like I just let my nerves get the better of me. If I would have just stayed calm and waited till friday, I would not be a nervous wreck right now, thinking about abnormal lab results. Did I do the right thing?

Miri7

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:39 pm
Yes, you did the right thing. The right thing was to get the bloodwork done and you did that! Be glad that you're just going in for a routine re-do of the bloodwork in two weeks.
We all do the best we can with our schedules, and it's good to be pro-active with getting the tests done even though sometimes we find out after the fact that everything is ok and the test probably wasn't necessary. (Much better to find out that DD is fine and the tests were not really needed than, cvs, the opposite!!)

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:45 pm
I agree with the previous poster..... you definitely did the right thing

MyUsername

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 1:47 pm
I think you did the right thing. The last time I put off a blood test for my daughter because one doctor said I could (even though the first one said to do it sooner), it turned out that my daughter had mono. Boy did I feel like an idiot.

With these things, you really never know. Every time my toddler is sick, I never know whether to take her to doctor right away or not. Every time I bring her in right away, she just has 'a virus', and we actually didn't even need to come in and it's gone by the next day before we would have even come in. Every time I waited the extra day or two, she has some kind of infection which needs antibiotics and I totally should have come in right away instead.

I always second guess myself on these things (and often guess wrong). I've learned to just take her in if I feel like it and not overthink it - and the time she had pneumonia and they caught it right away because I brought her in immediately, saved us a lot of hassle (no hospital, and she was up and about in less than a week). And all the times I brought her in and it's just a virus? Well, I know it's just a virus and don't think about it too much more and I can relax a bit because at least I know what she has.

I think that with our children's health, it's always better to be slightly cautious (as long as we don't go overboard). Taking your daughter for a blood test after several days of fever is totally reasonable. Also, I know it's a pain to take her for another blood test in 2 weeks, but if by some slim chance, some intervention is needed at that point, you'll be glad that you knew then and not waited until things got worse. Most likely, the second blood test will be fine, but you'll have the peace of mind that everything is really okay.

Sounds like your a great mom, keep trusting your gut Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics