Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Does anyone have a fridge in the corner? and other questions

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 6:12 pm
We're making a layout plan for our kitchen. The shape of the room is very weird and difficult to work with, so we're trying to go for the best under the circumstances although it won't be ideal.

[A] The kitchen guy suggested putting the fridge in the corner which would give us a lot of additional cabinet space. I've never seen something like it and I'm wondering about how practical the day-to-day usage would be? Does anyone here have such a set-up?

[B] Because of limitations of space, I need to decide between a dishwasher or a second oven. If I do the dishwasher, I'd do a 2 burner cooktop and an over-the-range convection oven. The dishwasher will be fleishig and will be used once motze shabbas and maximum one other time during the week. I don't know what typical usage for a dishwasher is; is this normal or little? In addition, I bake often and I could see myself really enjoying a second full-sized oven. However, I'll be losing out on counter space because I do NOT need another full sized stove top.

[C] Does anyone have stovetop in front of a window?

[D] Where to put the pantry is causing lots of issues. Does anyone have a shallow pantry as opposed to a typical deep one? Do you like it? Is it worth the lack of counter space?

Thanks for any and all tips, ideas, suggestions, pointers, etc.

Kumphort

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 6:19 pm
I have a corner fridge. I have French doors so there is not as much room needed for doors swinging. The only time it is a problem is pesach when I want to take out the shelves to give it a good scrub down. I need to pull the fridge out to the middle of the room to be able to get the shelves out to clean them well. Otherwise it works out nicely

I do have deep cabinets with pullout drawers. My top shelves which is a Seperate cabinet don't pull out any it's annoying cause stuff is always getting lost in the back. So I can see how more shallow cabinets can be practical becaus then you only have one layer of stuff and not things piles back

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 7:53 pm
...Because of limitations of space, I need to decide between a dishwasher or a second oven. If I do the dishwasher, I'd do a 2 burner cooktop and an over-the-range convection oven. The dishwasher will be fleishig and will be used once motze shabbas and maximum one other time during the week. I don't know what typical usage for a dishwasher is; is this normal or little? In addition, I bake often and I could see myself really enjoying a second full-sized oven. However, I'll be losing out on counter space because I do NOT need another full sized stove top.
Undercounter oven? Drawer dishwashers?

[C] Does anyone have stovetop in front of a window?
Not safe and against code in many locales — unless you close off the window with glass block.

[D] Where to put the pantry is causing lots of issues. Does anyone have a shallow pantry as opposed to a typical deep one? Do you like it? Is it worth the lack of counter space?
Shallow pantries are great, you don't lose stuff in the back. Why will it make you lose counter space?

cm

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 8:56 pm
By "in the corner" do you mean right next to the corner so it might be hard to open the doors or remove the shelves, or angled across the corner? I had one on an angle and it worked fine, but I don't know how that would give more cabinet space. There was the usual cabinet over the fridge, and cabinets along the adjoining walls.

I use my dishwasher twice a week and would not want to go back to my pre-dishwasher days.

Is a wall oven a possibility? Would a range with two smaller ovens work for you?

I'm not sure what you mean by shallow vs deep pantry. Are you referring to cabinetry? A closet?

Look into all the neat pull-out and corner options to maximize storage space in your cabinets.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:29 pm
Which way should I make the fridge door open? From the end of the wall to into the kitchen so that you need to go *into* your fridge in order to get s/th out? OR from the kitchen side to the wall so that you cannot open the door more than a 90 degree angle?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:34 pm
OK, now I think I understand — you mean the fridge would be at the end of a run with the side against the wall. You want to the hinge to be against the wall and you need to leave at least a few inches between the fridge and the side wall.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:36 pm
Congrats!!
Fridge in corner not an issue just be carful the door can get damaged from constantly knocking into the wall unless it opens the other way which is not practical.

I love having a dishwasher and use it everyday, however if you are a baker and are not used to dishwasher I would go with extra oven.

You can possibly use the corner for a double wall oven and then use any counter space you want for a stove top. Wall ovens are lots of fun! No bending down to check if cake is ready..

I had a roll out drawer pantry and I loved the idea of being able to see the content all at once without searching through shelves
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics