Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
15 month old speech

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 6:38 pm
I know its too early to be "panicking" I'm just concerned b/c we have a history of speech issues in my family. My 15 month old daughter definitely understands everything we say, great eye contact, she imitates and can imitate sounds and she says a lot of the typical words like "no" and "uh-oh", she says "ba-ba" (bottle) and "nana" for banana but very few other clear words. She's not consistently saying "mama" or "abba". She sounds very nasal and it sounds like she's saying words, but they are so garbled and I just can't understand what she's saying. Is this normal? She just had her 15 month check up and didn't say anything about her tonsils/adenoids.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:18 pm
Typically, we expect babies to say their first word at a year and continue building their vocabulary. When they have about 50 words, they start combining two words (mommy go, eat cookie, in box, etc). This typically happens between 18 and 24 months. Once they hit 18-20 months and still have very few words, you might consider an evaluation (but don't be surprised if you don't qualify for early intervention; you basically have to be nonverbal at that age to qualify).

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 23 2016, 9:29 pm
We used a lot of sign language the first year or so. With my daughter, she said "kitty" at around 18 months, "daddy" at 20 months, and "mama" at 22 months.

Then one day, she started coming out with full, grammatically correct sentences, and shortly afterwards, full paragraphs! I'll never forget the time, at 2 and a half, she said to me "Excuse me mama, but I've just realized that I've forgotten my crayons!" Surprised

She hasn't shut up since. LOL

Every kid has their own set of milestones. Trust your gut, ask your doctor, but also know that kids can surprise you when you least expect it.

Remember, for the first 4 years of Einstein's life he didn't talk, and everyone was pushing his parents to send him to a home for mentally disabled children.

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:56 pm
Its more that her speech is so garbled that "worries" me. I see that she's trying its just so nasal, I spoke to someone who suggesting going to an ENT before getting her evaluated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics