Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD struggles

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:25 am
What are some common struggles children with ADHD face? In school and at home.

My ds was diagnosed 3 years ago and has been on meds ever since. He is a very challenging child and I would like to know what can be attributed to ADHD and what is because of his personality. I think it would help me help him. (ex. I know his lack of time management skills is attributed to ADHD)

It would help to get specific examples of common challenges. Are there specific subjects or skills at school that are harder for a child with ADHD to learn. What are common social issues?etc.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 12:44 pm
I think any issue could potentially be a direct or indirect result of having adhd. That doesn't mean they can't be changed. For example, low self esteem is common with adhd kids because they often fail at tasks at home and at school. There are ways to counter this though so it doesn't become a forever problem. You probably would do well to get some books on adhd rather than ask here such a general question or better yet see a therapist if you have the resources. Our behaviorist did tell me that if a kid wants to please/fit in/achieve but just can't, then the problem is probably neurological whereas if there is no interest in performing well or getting along with others and the kid is not motivated by that, then the problem is more likely behavioral.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:08 pm
I have read a lot and seen different people, but I am trying to figure out myself if there are other issues going on. It has not been clear and I we are all getting frustrated.

I love what your behaviorist said. I think it is true up to a point. If a child is older and seen a lot of failure, they are more likely to be frustrated and not be interested in "pleasing". It is hard to be motivated to do something when you feel like you will fail anyway.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:50 pm
I hear your frustration. What we wouldn't do for these kids! In terms of difficult personality I have been reading the child whisperer by Carol tuttle and it is a fascinating way to see inside 4 basic personality types and find ways to motivate nurture and support each according to type. It was available at my library. I was not reading it for my adhd child but it actually helped me with my entire crew. She explains that different types feel motivated by certain language and put down or stifled by other language and expectations, and how to communicate in a way that touches their core values/comfort zone.

Last edited by amother on Tue, May 24 2016, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:51 pm
I hear your frustration. What we wouldn't do for these kids! In terms of difficult personality I have been reading the child whisperer by Carol tuttle and it is a fascinating way to see inside 4 basic personality types and find ways to motivate nurture and support each according to type. It was available at my library. I was not reading it for my adhd child but it actually helped me with my entire crew. She explains that different types feel motivated by certain language and put down or stifled by other language and expectations, and how to communicate in a way that touches their core values/comfort zone.

e1234

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 1:12 am
ADHD can affect almost everything.
from self esteem to behavior.
when treated properly though the ADHD does not have to have any affect (and can be used for the good)
My dh became an adhd coach after we saw how our interactions and our attitude can make a huge difference. He worked/works with ds and ds is doing amazing. - Using his ADHD for the positive (and yes there are a lot of positives)
DH works with parents and children - the understanding of the ADHD mind and how to use the ADHD to your benefit can prevent a lot of heartache that untreated ADHD can cause.
ADHD is sort of a personality - but every negative also has a positive that you can tap into.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)