Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Would you donate a kidney to a stranger?
1  2  Next

heidi

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:25 pm
My friend and I were having this discussion and I think she was quite shocked when I told her that I would rather reserve my kidneys for a parent, spouse, sibling or child if G-d forbid it was needed.
Then I click on here and see that someone is donating a kidney to her mother. My point exactly.
Lately (at least in Israel) there have been newsletters encouraging stranger kidney donation.
Would you do it?
Why or why not?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:33 pm
I wouldn't, for the same reason as you. I want to save my extra kidney for a family member if chv they need it. My grandfather recently died from renal failure (was not a candidate for a transplant), so the fact that there's a family history makes me all the more concerned about keeping it in the family. I think it's wonderful to donate to a stranger, a beautiful chesed, but it's also a chesed to donate to a relative, and I just can't bring myself to do otherwise.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:33 pm
It has always been something I would want to do. But my DH doesn't want me to do it. I'm someone that encountered all sorts of health issues in my life and he is concerned and says that I should not remove something from my body in case chas vshalom I would need it for myself G-d forbid. Of course though, if a family member needed one chas v'chalila, I would reconsider it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:37 pm
My aunt donated a kidney. I would consider doing it as well. But in a few years iyh.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:37 pm
There is a great series on the strangers podcast about this- it's called Elizabeth and Mary.

Its something I would consider but never had the guts to actually do. I think it's very admirable.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:38 pm
My husband donated a kidney to a stranger. He lost two close family members to ALS--no transplant could have helped them. That was his rationale. If donating a kidney to his mom would have saved her he'd have done it. But how do you know what illness will strike?

I said I wouldn't do it in my childbearing years. While I'm still going through pregnancies, nursing, young children etc. once I'm older I'll consider it then.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:39 pm
At the right time of my life I would give to someone in my community (DH thinks I am crazy) or family obviously but I am not sure about a total stranger. I like to think I am altruistic but I'm human. I read these stories of stranger donations and find them very inspiring that is for sure.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:41 pm
I think it is a great thing but like you I would probably "save" it for ch"v a family member or close friend.

bigsis144

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:43 pm
http://www.fashion-isha.com/20......html

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 2:43 pm
Been my dream for many years. Am waiting until my youngest is a little older and iy"H hope to do it (which means I guess I will start the process in a year or so!)

DH actually has family with history of kidney disease but I'm not "saving" my kidney in the off chance they end up needing one and I am maybe a match. I'd rather just give it to someone who I know is a match and definitely needs one now (meaning in a year or so, when I start the process of looking for someone) than wait and have it (my kidney) go to waste (because chances are I'll be too old by then or they won't need it or they will and I won't be a match. . . ) If someone from his family ends up needing one, I hope the zchus of my having given one will help them find a donor quickly.

I'm excited to do it because it's an opportunity to help someone in a major, life giving way. I have been blessed with good health and it would be a privilege to share that with others if I am able.

causemommysaid

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 3:22 pm
I would for a close family member but not a stranger.

heidi

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 3:57 pm
Another consideration for "saving" your kidney is that if a family member does need and you aren't a match, you can use yours to donate to someone else and thus "earn" your family member a kidney. It's like a chain -- you donate to someone who finds someone to match your family member-- Obviously, I'm simplifying and there are many chains till everyone gets what they need-- but having a healthy kidney gives your a bargaining chip.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 4:25 pm
Two of my close relatives did it. It's a beautiful mitzvah if you can do it. I might one day in the future, but only if it doesn't affect my husband or children.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 4:45 pm
heidi wrote:
Another consideration for "saving" your kidney is that if a family member does need and you aren't a match, you can use yours to donate to someone else and thus "earn" your family member a kidney. It's like a chain -- you donate to someone who finds someone to match your family member-- Obviously, I'm simplifying and there are many chains till everyone gets what they need-- but having a healthy kidney gives your a bargaining chip.

So wouldn't someone have earned it already had s/he opted to donate earlier?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 5:10 pm
I would love to. It's my dream. My husband doesn't let. In regards to saving for family, I believe that if you donate, they jump to the top of the list. So really there's no risk, only benefit.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 6:51 pm
There is a YouTube video of Lori Palatnik describing her kidney donation. It was amazing to listen to.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:32 pm
I wish I could donate something, at least blood. I was told as a cancer survivor it's unlikely they'll accept it.

I should really look into it again now that I'm done having kids.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:41 pm
I donated 2 years ago,this week! Yes,to a stranger. My husband was fully on board,bh. We asked Rav Chaim Kanievsky his opinion and a Bracha and received a positive answer.
Hashem is in charge of us and I trust that if Chas v shalom a family member needed a kidney, He would make it happen just like I stepped up to donate for this stranger.
I actually responded to an ad for a baby who needed a kidney. Having had a stillbirth, I thought to myself that nobody could have saved our baby but if I donate to this baby,I could save him. My loss helped me appreciate the miracle of life more. (Btw,I did have a healthy baby between my loss and the kidney donation ). I ended up donating to an adult but sewing the ad for the baby in need,got it all started for me.

bfg

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:20 pm
I donated to my husband. Amazing, miraculous. But, I don't think I would have gone through the process for a complete stranger.

happyone

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 9:00 pm
If I were medically allowed to, I'd donate in a heartbeat. I've witnessed the Miracle of my friend's child , a 9 year old boy getting off dialysis due to the selfless donation of a stranger. A 20 yr old girl. 10 minutes after coming out of surgery this young boy had a healthy kidney functioning beautifully at that point I swore that at my earliest convenience I would do the same for another human being. Due due to unforeseen circumstances it is not an option for me but I would encourage my children to look into and learn about donation should they be given an opportunity . it is the Ultimate chesed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics