Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Please help me plan last-minute trip to Israel!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:29 pm
Hi everyone, I know this is really last-minute but this was a last-minute arrangement... I'm going to Israel tomorrow through Sunday and trying to plan my trip! It's just me and DH, I'm not pregnant, and we are pretty adventurous (but like to stay safe!).

We're staying in Jerusalem, near the Old City, and have plans for Thursday night and Sunday night, but looking for fun or interesting tours or things to do. Preferably nearby, and we're willing to spend (just not a crazy amount).

Obviously we will spend some time at the Kotel and would like to hang out in the shuk or Meah Shearim on Friday, but we have all day Thursday and Sunday to ourselves. I'm looking into the Ir David tours (Segway and underground), anyone have experience with them?

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:41 pm
Amazing, enjoy every minute! So happy for you!
The segway tours are probably in Armon Hanetziv. I was told in March to stay away from that area because there have been several attacks there....you may want to see if that's still accurate. I enjoyed the tour of Ir Dovid. The water tunnel was a bit claustrophobic! Bring junky clothing and crocs. I liked the Light Show at night,although I saw it in the summer so I'm not sure if that's currently running.

I wanted to go to hotel Beraishit in Mitzpe Ramon and go jeeping in the crater there.
If you're really adventurous there's a place you can take a hot air balloon ride!

Not sure what else you enjoy. I love spa type vacations so Hotel Cramim in Kiryat Anavim was amazing. Indoor and outdoor pool , great food, and massages and facials etc..

familyfirst

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:43 pm
Check out the blind museum and the bullet factory

Not sure where it's located but both, especially the blind museum, are special

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:44 pm
The blind museum is in the Tel Aviv area.

OP, enjoy your trip! So happy you have this special opportunity!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 7:45 pm
Great idea! The blind museum is in Holon. They do English tours but you should reserve on advance. It was a memorable tour.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 8:28 pm
You guys are awesome! Thank you! Please keep them coming.

The blind museum sounds amazing but we don't have time to travel, plus museums aren't really DH's speed. Though he'd probably like a bullet factory Very Happy

We're looking for more active things. I'm checking out the Segway tours and walking tours. Thanks again!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 9:26 pm
Oh and we did an ATV trip in Mitzpeh Ramon on our last trip years ago. It was a blast!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 9:48 pm
How could you miss Meron that should be the highlight

DrMom

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:

They are only going to be there from Wed-Sun, and they are basing themselves in Yerushalayim. I don't think shlepping to Meron is so practical. She said she doesn't even have time to travel to the Mercaz.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:30 pm
Ir David is a nice solution because it's close by. Bring shoes that you don't mind getting wet.
The Temple Mount Sifting Project is excellent and not far away as well:
http://www.cityofdavid.org.il/.....oject

Wear old clothes.

The Jerusalem Light Festival is happening during the time you are visiting. Nice to walk around...

Nachlaot is also lovely.

justforfun87

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:53 pm
Maybe consider renting a car and doing a Masada/Dead Sea day.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 12:57 am
Go to the Jerusalem Biblical Zoo! I am often weary of zoos in the United States because you might see animals in small cages, but at the Jerusalem zoo I felt like they all had room to live happy lives.

etky

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:40 am
amother wrote:
You guys are awesome! Thank you! Please keep them coming.

The blind museum sounds amazing but we don't have time to travel, plus museums aren't really DH's speed. Though he'd probably like a bullet factory Very Happy

We're looking for more active things. I'm checking out the Segway tours and walking tours. Thanks again!

It's near Rehovot - not actually a bullet factory (anymore).
More of a historical site with guided tour.

etky

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:42 am
amother wrote:

If you don't mind crowds and mass events are your thing....

hila

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 2:50 am
If I were you I would forget leaving Jerusalem. Four days is very little.

So - must do... Kotel Tunnels tour, and the Kotel. Davidson centre. Old city.
Lunch in Old city

New city - Machane Yehuda, King George, Yafo area.
Meah Shearim, Geula.

Segway of old or new city. Ir David.

Friday brunch - Rimon Mamilla.

Get on a bus to Gilo or Ramot, and see thesuburbs. Enjoy the kids in the park (Gan Kipod in Ramot) . Go to a supermarket or macolet and stock up with yummy foods to take home.

That is all you will have time for, except some walking on Shabbat.

Enjoy

jerusalem90

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 5:16 am
If you have little kids (2 - 9), they'll love the mifletzet in Kiryat Yovel and that's free. It's basically a big slide where you slide down the monster's tongue. https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....A5%27

Once when I was in the old city I ran into this museum, the entrance was tiny, like you'd never notice it, and inside it showed what life was like in Jerusalem in the ancient days, and they had actors and such. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and what that place is called? Entrance was either cheap or free.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 5:55 am
To get a taste of Meron, go to the kever of Shimon Hatzaddik. Since huge shares a name with Rashbi, those who can't make it up north go there. It's across the highway from the Mir.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:03 am
Thank you thank you! Our kids are not coming Very Happy Love these suggestions. I will check them out. We've both spent time there so won't be doing the zoo or parks or traveling anywhere out of Jerusalem. We are there for such a short time I want to use every minute!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics