Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tons of cavities!

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 10:35 pm
So...noticing my son's black tooth, we went to the dentist, who unfortunately informed us that my son has five cavities and has to be sedated to get them fixed. He is only 5! Anyone have experience? How do you make sure they don't get traumatized? how do *I* not be traumatized seeing my son sedated?!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:26 pm
don't know where you're located. had a similar situation this winter with 3 yo. we ended up going to dr. Canter (in Boro Park) who fixed her up it 20 minutes. his nurse was amazing! she shmoozed & created a necklace with my daughter before going into the room & gave her some prizes. during the fillings they had a video on. they were really amazing!

eta: main point- Maimonidies wanted to do it under ga. we did without

justforfun87

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:35 pm
We always brought my son to the dentist, iffy about brushing teeth. When he was 3.5 they told us he had 7 cavities. I was so upset. I got 3 different opinions as the dentist was recommending sedation via anesthesia. I don't have medicaid so it was a big financial commitment and the risks of going under made me nervous. I read a lot of studies that emotional trauma from dentists at this age has life long affects. We went for the anesthesia and it worked out fine. Between medical and dental the out of pocket cost for us was 1500. They billed the insurance close to 10 grand or so. Yikes!!

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:40 pm
Maimonides likes to push sedation. I can think of a couple reasons why. A good dentist should be able to do it quickly and calm the child without anesthesia. Special needs or sensory kids are different, but generally some dentists are pushing anesthesia more than they should.

Maryann

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:49 pm
Ruby can u please post or pm me Dr canter number? Tia

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 24 2016, 11:56 pm
Address: 1607 55th St, Brooklyn, NY 11204
Phone:(718) 972-2970

Maryann

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:08 am
tahnks so much!!!! wish me luck.....

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:36 am
justforfun87 wrote:
I read a lot of studies that emotional trauma from dentists at this age has life long affects. We went for the anesthesia and it worked out fine.

Are you saying that sedation is more traumatic than anesthesia?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:28 am
what the difference between sedation and anethesia?

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 10:33 am
Lol I remembered something was bothering me about this thread. Sedation and anesthesia are the wrong words.

Sedation means to calm, reduce irritation or put someone to sleep through the use of anesthesia.

There are several types of anesthesia:

Local anesthesia - when the dentist gives a shot near the tooth to numb only that area

General anesthesia - which can be done several ways but results in the person being completely unconscious

Others - like laughing gas aka nitrous oxide that make the person feel very calm and happy but still awake

Dentists at Maimonides push general anesthesia and laughing gas rather than local anesthesia for several reasons that I can speculate on. However local anesthesia is safest and least risky with less possible side effects.

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 10:54 am
OP they were recommending demorol

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 11:11 am
Oh I just remembered what the local anesthesia that dentists use is called. Lidocaine. It's very safe with the least risk.

No idea what Demerol is, though some google searching tells me it's an opioid used for conscious sedation (I'm assuming the patient is awake but in a calm state.) why not ask the dentist to clarify what Demerol is, how it's administered, how the patient reacts to it, what the side effects and possible dangers are?

dimyona

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 11:32 am
I feel for your son. The first time I went to the dentist as a 3 year old, I had nine cavities, including three pulpotomies. Instead of going for general anesthesia, my dentist used laughing gas and completed the work over several appointments. A good pediatric dentist is crucial; they'll know how to incentivize and calm the child to be able to sit still through the arduous treatment. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics