Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Arranged (TV Show)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:06 am
like how many couples do you know when there a nidda makes husband sleep not on the couch on the couch cushions on the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! something does not add up sorry!!! Confused

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2016, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
like how many couples do you know when there a nidda makes husband sleep not on the couch on the couch cushions on the floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! something does not add up sorry!!! Confused

Ones making a "reality" TV shows.

samantha87

Post Wed, Jun 22 2016, 8:25 pm
I save money l'shma. Saving money is a mechaye!

Never thought I'd hear that, and definitely wasn't expecting it on tv.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:53 am
Oh my gosh, yes! I got so angry from this last episode. His going away to sleep with friends cuz she's a Niddah, his sleeping on the floor!?!, like why did they need to make a whole segment on Niddah? Not so possible to portray it the way it really is irl, with a modern orthodox couple on a 'reality' show Rolling Eyes

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 12:57 am
I want to go buy them a second bed.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 1:40 pm
I hope that whatever money they were paid was worth making the rest of us look like complete fools. I am humiliated thinking my non-frum or non-Jewish coworkers may be watching this and thinking I have an "emotionally distant" marriage for half of the time, that my husband sleeps on the floor (or not even in our house), etc. etc. etc.

Did they not speak to their Rav before agreeing to this? They are young, but wouldn't anyone with a bit more experience and seichel warn them what a huge chillul Hashem this is?

I understand that these shows create scenarios to encourage "drama," but a) if there is a frum producer on this show, he/she is also culpable for this embarrassment and b) young or not, they are still adults who should have more backbone and value our traditions enough to say no to this dog and pony show.

Blech.

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 3:08 pm
I agree with the amother above. If it's true that this was altered to create the most drama possible, thanks for making our entire community look like freaks. Ben comes across as a totally immature, self-centered person who does not allow religion to make him a better person, only uses it to control his wife (immaturely!) Vicki comes across as naive, sweet and kind of dumb. Yiddishkeit comes across as the most bizarre lifestyle ever.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 4:29 pm
So I guess I was right when I posted

Aqua

Post Posted: Thu, May 26 2016, 9:17 am Post subject: re: Arranged (TV Show)
Given the title "Arranged"I give my vote of confidence that this show will not portray Orthodox Jews in a positive light. Not even highly educated MO ones who do not have arranged marriages

israel22

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:06 pm
the crazy thing is either the producer or one of the producers is a frum lady it just doesnt make sense!!

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:22 pm
Compared to the other two, they look like tzaddikim.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:39 pm
israel22 wrote:
the crazy thing is either the producer or one of the producers is a frum lady it just doesnt make sense!!

I don't watch the show but I know the producer- I'm really surprised based on the comments I'm reading here.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 5:43 pm
See, I think people are used to frum productions where everyone is wonderful and perfect....unless, of course, they are evil non jews. I think they are trying to portray new marriage, struggles and all. I really don't think they look bizarre. Just young.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 7:13 pm
I am in a Facebook group with Ronit Polin-Tarshish. I'm gonna check if she has any comments on what's going on, and if not, I'll ask her why she went ahead and did this.

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 9:49 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I am in a Facebook group with Ronit Polin-Tarshish. I'm gonna check if she has any comments on what's going on, and if not, I'll ask her why she went ahead and did this.

Please do. I really respect her, and I'd love to know why it's being handled this way. I think you can show a young couple and their struggles without going to freak show style extremes.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:30 pm
I've only seen clips of this show, not watched the whole thing, but don't a lot of couples feel physically distant as well as emotionally distant during niddah? It is a tough thing for non orthodox Jews to imagine. That said, I wouldn't worry so much about chillul Hashem since I don't think this is such a widely watched show and the clips I saw showed the other couples acting so much worse.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 10:40 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I've only seen clips of this show, not watched the whole thing, but don't a lot of couples feel physically distant as well as emotionally distant during niddah? It is a tough thing for non orthodox Jews to imagine. That said, I wouldn't worry so much about chillul Hashem since I don't think this is such a widely watched show and the clips I saw showed the other couples acting so much worse.

That doesn't say much. The other couples are extremely trashy (taylor specifically). She's a horror.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:15 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Exactly.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:18 pm
Well, it turns out I had missed an entire day of drama over at Ronit's facebook group and everyone is tired of discussing it. The discussion has been deleted and they don't want to start it up again. (They are all pretty mad about the episode.) I'm gonna see if I can get to see what Ronit's take is. I'm scared to go read the episode thread on previously.tv (my choice of web site for tv episodes discussions), I'm scared what non Jewish viewers think of all this!!!

chavamom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:19 pm
Look, if you want to hear a pep talk about how wonderful the laws of niddah are and how close you can become, go review your seminary notes. This is a "reality" TV show, not a kiruv event. Drama gets viewers. In addition, they are showing real people, not the sanitized portrait of bliss we have come to expect. Really, stop wasting time worrying about this. As the previous poster mentioned, they are by far the more sympathetic couple

debsey

Post Thu, Jun 23 2016, 11:47 pm
Having watched the entire episode, not just the clip about Ben sleeping on the floor, I have a different opinion. Overall, I don't think the episode presented Niddah that badly. The sleeping on the floor thing was RIDICULOUS. Ben does come off as mildly immature, running away from his wife to hang out with his buddies because he can't handle being home with her and not being intimate, but that's not an unrealistic portrayal of shana rishona.
I guess I just felt that the cartoonish aspect of him sleeping on the floor looked a bit exaggerated and extreme. Like, does anyone know people who actually do that? He talks to his chosson teacher all the time, apparently, and no one ever mentioned the concept of buying two beds?! Come on........
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics