Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
FM system: integrated vs. universal. Opinions please

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 4:30 pm
My dd7 has just received her integrated FM system.
I have 30 days to exchange it to universal one if I choose to.

The audiologist explained basic differences btw. integrated and universal ones.

I gather that integrated one
- is smaller
- requires no further maintenance.
- will not fit any other type of hearing aids in case we switch to a new pair in the future

Universal
- will fit any hearing aids
- is larger
- has to be slipped or clipped on and off.

The problem is that down the line it's not a given that insurance would approve a different FM, besides I can't be sure which insurance we will have in a year, or five, and it would then cost more than $2k.

Please share your experiences with either one or both and point out whether you're happy with what you have and why.

Thanks a lot!

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:30 pm
We have the Phonac Inspiro to go with my daughters phonac hearing aids. She has a 'boot' that we always keep on her hearing aids. We have been very happy with it for 3 years so far.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:00 pm
amother wrote:
We have the Phonac Inspiro to go with my daughters phonac hearing aids. She has a 'boot' that we always keep on her hearing aids. We have been very happy with it for 3 years so far.

My daughter also has phonak.

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you mean by the boot. Is it a removable ("universal") fm system, or the integrated one that can't be removed and is essentially part of the hearing aid that contains the battery?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:07 pm
Bump

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 25 2016, 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

tryinghard

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:26 pm
My daughter only uses the FM in school so she has the universal, provided by (and belonging to) the school district. It's not very big, and goes on and off easily. Practically, if you are concerned about paying in the future I would definitely go with universal. (She has Oticon Sensei Pro btw)

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:57 pm
tryinghard wrote:
My daughter only uses the FM in school so she has the universal, provided by (and belonging to) the school district. It's not very big, and goes on and off easily. Practically, if you are concerned about paying in the future I would definitely go with universal. (She has Oticon Sensei Pro btw)

She's been wearing hearing aids for only a year, and I don't know if and how often kids or teens get new ones.

I'm just concerned that universal is going to be prone to loss because the attachments are being removed on a regular basis.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 6:44 am
Anyone?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:08 pm
bumpty-bump

tryinghard

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:38 pm
amother wrote:
She's been wearing hearing aids for only a year, and I don't know if and how often kids or teens get new ones.

I'm just concerned that universal is going to be prone to loss because the attachments are being removed on a regular basis.

Our audiologist said they get replaced in 5-7 years. I don't think they are any more prone to loss than the aids themselves, so if you take responsibility for them, instead of leaving it to your kid, you should be fine.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 2:28 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Our audiologist said they get replaced in 5-7 years. I don't think they are any more prone to loss than the aids themselves, so if you take responsibility for them, instead of leaving it to your kid, you should be fine.

In school, my daughter would be in charge of the attachments, and that's part of the problem.

tryinghard

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
In school, my daughter would be in charge of the attachments, and that's part of the problem.

If the teacher has to put on and take off the transmitter anyways, why can't s/he take care of the receivers as well? It is different for us as it doesn't belong to us, but to the school district, but if I is strictly for school, the teacher should be able to handle it. Speak with the principal. DD only got the FM in March, thanks to district bureaucracy, but thank God, this arrangement has been working well for us. I have had to call the school a few times and tell them that DD came home with it, reminding them that they have to be on top of it, but they've overall been pretty good.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter also has phonak.

Sorry I didn't quite understand what you mean by the boot. Is it a removable ("universal") fm system, or the integrated one that can't be removed and is essentially part of the hearing aid that contains the battery?

Its part of the hearing aid. The only downside is that it is not water resistant, even thought the rest of the hearing aid is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics