Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Looking for my Biological Family. Anyone know of them??!
1  2  Next

Katie B

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:40 pm
I was adopted 22 years ago and supposedly was born into a sefardic family. I'm searching for my biological parents and siblings if there are siblings. I am reaching out for help since I have reached too many dead ends in my search. The possibility of me ever knowing who they are as of now looks pretty hopeless. Out of desperation and curiosity I am begging who ever sees this message and knows of anything should help me find the missing pieces to this impossible puzzle!

Any information please please please let me know!!!!!!

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:44 pm
What information do you have? Do you know what country and city they were in when you were born?

Katie B

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:47 pm
My birth certificate sais I was born in Nyack NY.

shaindy3

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:13 pm
What do your odoptive parents have to say? I didn't know that it's possible to not have any idea who they are.
Also, a birth certificate usually says the parents names no?

Lady Bug

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:20 pm
Nyack - that can mean a family living in Monsey or Monroe. Since you mentioned Sephardic, do you think Yemenite?

Katie B

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:23 pm
Im not sure what type of sefardic I am. I really dont know much about my past at all.
Lady Bug wrote:
Nyack - that can mean a family living in Monsey or Monroe. Since you mentioned Sephardic, do you think Yemenite?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:41 pm
I'm assuming that your parents wanted to keep this from you and you didn't know right away. When they told you they probably did not give you any info. about the family they adopted you from.

Was this a legal adoption?
Do your parents have more info but don't want to tell you?
Are there any adoption records?
How do you know that the family was sefardic?
Maybe put your date of birth in the post to see if it rings a bell for anyone.
Sometimes there are teens that get pregnant and the family wants to keep it quiet so they quietly give up the baby. Not saying this is what happened to you but of course anything at all is possible.

I feel for you. It must be so hard not to know why you were given up for adoption. Hopefully you will live a very meaningful life and have peace of mind regardless of the fact that you were adopted as a baby.

Good luck! It would be so exciting if imamother can actually help you figure things out!

Katie B

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:50 pm
My adoptive parents claim they told me everything they know and I do truly believe them. It would be great if Imamother would help me find out who I am!
lkwdlady wrote:
I'm assuming that your parents wanted to keep this from you and you didn't know right away. When they told you they probably did not give you any info. about the family they adopted you from.

Was this a legal adoption?
Do your parents have more info but don't want to tell you?
Are there any adoption records?
How do you know that the family was sefardic?
Maybe put your date of birth in the post to see if it rings a bell for anyone.
Sometimes there are teens that get pregnant and the family wants to keep it quiet so they quietly give up the baby. Not saying this is what happened to you but of course anything at all is possible.

I feel for you. It must be so hard not to know why you were given up for adoption. Hopefully you will live a very meaningful life and have peace of mind regardless of the fact that you were adopted as a baby.

Good luck! It would be so exciting if imamother can actually help you figure things out!

Zehava

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:09 pm
A DNA test should be able to tell you what kind of Sephardic you are, what country your ancestors came from like Yemen or Syria. Unlike Ashkenazim that have very similar DNA wether they're Russian or Hungarian, Sephardi DNA is usually more specific.

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:20 pm
Op, I don't have information for you, but I feel the pain in your post. I wish you lots of luck in your journey!! I hope you will find your roots very soon. Hang in there!!

anonymrs

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:23 pm
Have you been in contact with the adoption agency?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:33 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Have you been in contact with the adoption agency?

maybe it was a private adoption? (but then her adoptive parents would really know more..)

If it was through an adoption agency then everything is filed. I'm not sure when they are allowed to disclose the information. Perhaps when you turned 18? I think you can get information from the childwelfare.gov website if this was a legal adoption.

mazal555

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 12:44 am
Maybe you can find a sephardic synagogue in Nyack and contact whoever was the rabbi when you were born?

Bruria

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:51 am
I also second the possibility of Yemenite, based on the location you mentioned.

sourstix

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 12:11 pm
There is a tv show that shows people looking for their biological family can someone share the name maybe they can help
Not sure if they charge
If u lookup on tvguide u could see there many people were helped not everyone was happy with their outcome tho
Why don't you go to the agency that did the adoption? At least you have somewhere to start
Did ur parents tell you a name? What are they saying they know?

Fast Forward

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 12:20 pm
The show is called Long Lost Family. You can go the site and it has hints on how to start looking. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/lo.....ily/. I watched the show and they relied on ancestry.com a lot but you need some basic information to get going. Good luck.

Katie B

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 12:28 pm
thanks. Ill check it out
Fast Forward wrote:
The show is called Long Lost Family. You can go the site and it has hints on how to start looking. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/lo.....ily/. I watched the show and they relied on ancestry.com a lot but you need some basic information to get going. Good luck.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:07 pm
Big hugs and lots of luck!

My DD is from an open adoption, and her birth parents are not on her original birth certificate. Her medical records are at the hospital where she was born, and a copy is filed at the county courthouse where we finalized the adoption.

I feel for you so much. It was really important for me to have an open adoption with DD, and important for her birth parents, too. We never wanted DD to go through what you are experiencing.

I wish I had more info to help you on your quest. Davening for you to have the best possible outcome. Hug Hug Hug

PAMOM

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 3:27 pm
There are publically available genetics tests that will tell you how many matches there are and how closely they match. That could tell you if you have siblings or half-siblings, etc if they were in the data bank. One of your biological parents could also be in it.
There was only one hospital in Nyack at the time you were born. Have you contacted their social work office in case your biological mother is also looking for you? Have you contacted the Rockland County health department for a list of babies who were born on the day you were? That info is often public Finally, whether or not you like Facebook, it's the easiest way to reach the most people. Post your search there with as much info as you have. I wish you much luck in finding what you're looking for.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 3:44 pm
PAMOM wrote:
There are publically available genetics tests that will tell you how many matches there are and how closely they match. That could tell you if you have siblings or half-siblings, etc if they were in the data bank. One of your biological parents could also be in it.
There was only one hospital in Nyack at the time you were born. Have you contacted their social work office in case your biological mother is also looking for you? Have you contacted the Rockland County health department for a list of babies who were born on the day you were? That info is often public Finally, whether or not you like Facebook, it's the easiest way to reach the most people. Post your search there with as much info as you have. I wish you much luck in finding what you're looking for.

thats a great idea!

heres the number for the Social Services Department at Nyack hospital.

Case Management/Social Work 845.348.2560

Hatzlacha Rabba!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics