Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Almost 2 year old barely eats

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 6:51 pm
My almost 2 year old barely eats. He can't have milk (allergic) and doesn't like any soy or almond alternatives so all he drinks is water.
He has maybe 4-500 calories a day. A typical day is a bit of cereal (not even half a serving) or a whole grain waffle or a slice of bread with cream cheese; then he has cheese and fruit and fish sticks or pita pizza; and then he has some crackers, maybe a few slides of avocado if I'm lucky. He doesn't eat dinner- ever. Is this normal?
He seems happy and seems to be growing normally.
I've read online that toddlers balance out their eating by eating very little one day and a lot the next day, but my son never eats a good amount. He always eats very little.

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 7:58 pm
Does he go to day care or babysitter? Is there any place he might be getting nosh from? It's worth checking.

My child likes to eat from the floor or at the table more than in his high chair... maybe the eating situation is boring for him?

Just trying to think of ideas...

esther11

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 9:24 pm
My dd is similar. According not to our pediatrician utis fine as long as there is some weight gain from one apptmt to the next. He also said that it's enough for a toddler to eat the equivalent of 7 meals in one week. Based on what u listed, I think it son gets abt 1 meal a day in total so it sounds fine to me!

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 10:03 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Does he go to day care or babysitter? Is there any place he might be getting nosh from? It's worth checking.

My child likes to eat from the floor or at the table more than in his high chair... maybe the eating situation is boring for him?

Just trying to think of ideas...

His babysitter does give him cookies once in a while. But it's interesting, he usually eats the lunch that I send with him to the babysitter (usually a combination of yogurt, fish, mini pizza, or cream cheese sandwich).
He eats from the floor all the time. embarrassed

amother
Silver

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 10:04 pm
esther11 wrote:
My dd is similar. According not to our pediatrician utis fine as long as there is some weight gain from one apptmt to the next. He also said that it's enough for a toddler to eat the equivalent of 7 meals in one week. Based on what u listed, I think it son gets abt 1 meal a day in total so it sounds fine to me!

That's a relief for me to hear. I think I'll confirm that with my pediatrician
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics