Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Please teach me how to make a good steak /ribs....

Maryann

Post Wed, May 25 2016, 8:32 pm
Thx Very Happy

Raisin

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 4:26 am
I don't know about ribs, but steak is easy if you use rib steak. Just throw in pan, season as desired, and cook for a few minutes per side.

Temilia

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 4:46 am
Ribs and steak need the opposite cooking technique
Steak
1. Buy good quality fresh meat. Ask for it to be vacuum packed (if it is off the bone so you can age it at home- on the bone ask for it to be aged at the butcher)
2. Age it at home (if boneless- in the back of the fridge turn it once a day)
3. Bring to room temperature.
4 lightly season it with salt pepper or other spices and rub all over with olive oil
5. Heat a bbq or grill pan to high heat.
6. Grill for a few minutes per side. Do not move it around, do not press it down with spatula or other utensil. Look online for exact time based on thickness of steak and desired done mess eg rare, medium well done
7. If desired cook for a bit more in oven Til done to your satisfaction.
8. Let rest covered with foil for s few minutes.
9. Eat. Can make dipping sauces on side if you want.
Ribs- need to be boiled first
Than often grilled with spice rub and then bbqed in a sauce to get it literally melting off the bone.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:58 am
Here's a thread on cooking a rib eye steak. It's applicable to any "good" cut of steak.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....75833

doctorima

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:56 am
Would this information apply to making steak/ribs on a BBQ? If not, could somebody add info on how to cook them well on a gas BBQ?

Raisin

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 4:41 pm
doctorima wrote:
Would this information apply to making steak/ribs on a BBQ? If not, could somebody add info on how to cook them well on a gas BBQ?

it would be the same cooking process on a bbq. ie a ribeye steak can be cooked directly, ribs need to be boiled first before grilling, either in the oven, a pan on the stove or a bbq.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 5:17 pm
Hard to make ribs on the grill unless you have a smoker as they require long slow cooking. You can finish on the grill just as some food are finished under the broiler to enhance the flavor and crisp up.

I wouldn't boil ribs. The bed technique is to marinate and then wrap in heavy duty tin foil with the marinade and bake in a low oven (like 250 degrees) for several hours. This long slow coking process breaks down the collagen and softens the meat. The collagen enhances the juiciness and also tenderizes. Then you finish on the grill

mha3484

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 5:19 pm
I love the smitten kitten method for ribs in the oven. I have found her method works great on beef ribs. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....tter/

Amarante

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 5:26 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I love the smitten kitten method for ribs in the oven. I have found her method works great on beef ribs. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog.....tter/

Yes that's the method I use. I got it from Alton Browns show.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:20 am
mha3484 wrote:

This looks delicious! Just wondering what cut of meats to use this on. Only rack of ribs? Would this work on short ribs or spare ribs too?

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:23 am
Rosemarie wrote:
This looks delicious! Just wondering what cut of meats to use this on. Only rack of ribs? Would this work on short ribs or spare ribs too?

It's a great method for spare ribs

For short ribs, I prefer a classic braise which essentially produces the same result - e.g. a long cooking time at a low temperature which breaks down the collagen and tenderizes the meat.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:28 am
Amarante wrote:
It's a great method for spare ribs

For short ribs, I prefer a classic braise which essentially produces the same result - e.g. a long cooking time at a low temperature which breaks down the collagen and tenderizes the meat.

Do you have a good recipe? I want to try something new

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:29 am
Rosemarie wrote:
Do you have a good recipe? I want to try something new

Yes I have quite a few LOL I need to get to my computer where I file them.

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:35 am
This is a Cooks Illustrated recipe from their slow cooker cookbook. They test different techniques to perfect the result. I have ones meant for the stove and oven as well. Anything that is a slow cook is great for these kinds of cuts with tough fibrous neat.

Red Wine-braised Short Ribs Recipe (crockpot)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 4

Summary:

Why this recipe works: Short ribs are all about the meat and the sauce, so to get a deeply flavored sauce, we first focused on the bones, which we knew were one key to flavor. Not wanting to roast the bones in the oven, we turned to the microwave, which helped in two ways: It rendered out unwanted fat (and short ribs are notoriously greasy), and it gave the bones a roasted flavor which in turn deepened the sauce during the long cooking time. One taste of these long-cooked ribs with their dark glossy sauce and you’ll be glad you put your microwave and skillet to work first.

Ingredients:

5 lbs. bone-in English-style short ribs, meat and bones separated
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped medium
1 carrot, peeled and chopped medium
1 celery rib, chopped medium
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups dry red wine
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions:

Arrange beef bones in a dish and microwave (in batches, if microwave is small) until well browned, 10 to 15 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.

Dry short ribs with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12‑inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of short ribs well on all sides, 7 to 10 minutes; transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and remaining short ribs; transfer to slow cooker.

Add onions, carrot, celery, tomato paste, and thyme to fat in skillet and cook over medium-high heat until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in wine and vinegar, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps. Bring to simmer and cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.

Stir broth and bay leaves into slow cooker. Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.
Transfer short ribs to serving platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Strain braising liquid, discarding solids, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in parsley. Spoon 1 cup sauce over short ribs and serve with remaining sauce

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:44 am
This is a classic recipe for the stove and oven. You start on the stove and then transfer to the oven for the long slow cooking braise.

Red Wine Braised Short Ribs

INGREDIENTS

5 pound bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2" pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine (preferably Cabernet Sauvignon)
10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
8 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs oregano
2 sprigs rosemary
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
4 cups low-salt beef stock

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 350°F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, brown short ribs on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch. Transfer short ribs to a plate. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from pot.

Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 5 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste; cook, stirring constantly, until well combined and deep red, 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine, then add short ribs with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil; lower heat to medium and simmer until wine is reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Add all herbs to pot along with garlic. Stir in stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven.

Cook until short ribs are tender, 2-2 1/2 hours. Transfer short ribs to a platter. Strain sauce from pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard; season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in shallow bowls over mashed potatoes with sauce spooned over.

Cooks' note:
To test if the ribs are done, pull on a bone. It should slide out freely

Rosemarie

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:49 am
Wow! Thanks. I think will try the oven method

ally

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:56 am
mha3484 wrote:

I use this recipe too!

mha3484

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:46 am
She has a similar method for bbq chicken that I love. I make it in the winter in the oven/broiler and pretend its summer.

Cbk

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 12:58 pm
doctorima wrote:
You should visit this website it's the #1 BBQ website in the world http://amazingribs.com/index.html for all your BBQ/grilling needs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics