Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Advice on which house to buy
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:32 am
We've been looking at houses for a while and basically narrowed our search down to two houses. I want to hear what other people say which one is the right one for us. So the first house is located on more of a main street but set back so it's not right on the street it has a beautiful yard with a pool. The house itself is big enough for us but it needs some work done before we would move in like a new kitchen and changing the floors on the bottom floor. There is a basement but not finished so we would like to finish it at some point but not right away to add more bedrooms but my husband can do that himself slowly since he's pretty handy.
The second house is on a quiet cul-de-sac it has a big yard but no pool. The house is beautiful and all ready to move in with a finished basement. The first house is 100 thousand less than the first one but after the fixing up it will be 50 thousand less. We are selling a house and making on it a little more than the second house would cost us. We are pretty sure that the first house wouldn't go up too much in value and the second one we are sure would go up since it's in a very desirable area and there is an almost identical house right across the street right now that's for sale for almost 100 thousand more right now. So after all this just curious what you people think since we are very confused 😖

causemommysaid

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:38 am
definitely the second house. no question about it

animeme

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:40 am
Second. Being on a main street comes with many things you may not think about, like a lot of traffic and noise and lack of street parking. Also, with a pool in the back yard and a main road in the front, there's hazards everywhere for kids, which means keeping more of eye on even the older ones. The second house has a large yard, so you can set up an above ground pool if you want.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:41 am
causemommysaid wrote:
definitely the second house. no question about it

why did I get a hug for saying my opinion on housing? Rolling Eyes

MamaBear

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:42 am
Second one, 100%

theotherone

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:42 am
Why is the 2nd house 100 k less than an identical house across the street? Is there something you are missing?

animeme

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:44 am
Also, redoing a kitchen is a big deal, and can come with major headaches and go way over budget.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:55 am
I live on a cul de sac and my opinion is it's so much more valuable than a main street. Its so peaceful, great for the kids and like you said probably has more potential to increase in value. I'd want to know why the house is listed for 100k less than an identical one right nearby? Also buying something completely finished would be the deal clincher for me!!

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:30 am
I grew up on a cul de sac and the kids on the block played outside together everyday. We played in the street and in each others yards. U won't have that on a main street.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:56 am
It's a no-brainer. Everything you mentioned about the first house except the price is a disadvantage: on a main street, pool costs tons of maintenance, needs work, and will not go up in value. All those things are worth 100K more (if you can afford it) that the second house is going for.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:01 am
second house.
I live on a busy street and regret. Don't let my kids ride their bikes on sidewalks until much older among other reasons. Also our house's price has remained stagnant while all other houses in the area have increased in value tremendously.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:10 am
I think a huge part of it depends on where you live. Where I live we're in the pool 6-7 months out of the year. It is usually too hot to play outside, so a pool is a much bigger commodity here than a cul de sac.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:46 am
Even if DH is handy, construction isn't worth the headache, not to mention can easily cost way more and take far longer than you expect. If there's a reasonable alternative that you can just pack up and move into, run straight over and don't look back.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
I think a huge part of it depends on where you live. Where I live we're in the pool 6-7 months out of the year. It is usually too hot to play outside, so a pool is a much bigger commodity here than a cul de sac.

Very valid point

Lady Bug

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:04 am
Not judging by location, I also say definitely the second house. I would avoid a pool at all costs - it's just too dangerous with small kids.

STMommy

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:20 am
Isn't a pool a major insurance liability too? I think overall for financial and safety reasons a pool is overall a liability, not an asset. Plus everyone else's points above = house #2.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 11:20 am
Quote:
I would avoid a pool at all costs - it's just too dangerous with small kids.

We have a 6 ft safety fence around our pool and all our kids knew how to tread water by the time they were 2 and fully swim before age 3.

I'm not denying pools are scary, but we go swimming every single day when it's warm. Living where we do having a pool was one of the top requirements on my list when buying a home.

Again, I think location plays a huge part in this

musicmom

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:35 pm
second!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 1:39 pm
Thank you everyone! I think you convinced us to go for the second house. Our main concern is that after we sell the house that we own now we won't be left with too much money. I'm ready to give up on the pool even though it is nice to have since it can only really be used 2-3 months here and I know the upkeep is expensive and it could be dangerous. I think it's selling for less than the one across the street because they want to sell fast.
We're also ready to sell it in a year or two if the value goes up alot and we find something cheaper in a different area. One more thing that's bothering us is that the taxes are a little more in the second house.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 7:37 pm
Definitely go for the 2nd house and if you have money later and it's a hot climate then put in a pool. But even in Florida I would say the 2nd for sure.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating