Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Any info on Rochester, NY, Scranton, PA or Pittsburgh PA?

DVOM

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:41 am
Hi everyone!
My husband is applying to graduate programs in these three cities. We know we want a small, out of town frum community to raise our 4 little boys in. If anyone can share any info on these communities-- schools, housing, job market for me (I'm a clinical social worker), community life in general-- I'd really appreciate it. We've lived the last 8 years (since getting married) in Lakewood, and while there are lots of things we really love about it, its not a natural fit for our family. We are applying to some schools here too, but we'd like to relocate, hopefully perminantly.
Thanks for all your help!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:49 am
I don't have any information for you as I don't live in those cities, but I can tell you that Pittsburgh is amazing. I love it, and my husband will tell you I would move there tomorrow if I could.
Someone also posted in a different thread about Rochester, and it also sounds like a wonderful community. (I think it was in the "out of town" thread.)
I have an aunt and uncle who have lived in Pittsburgh for 30+ years, if you would like I can put you in touch with them.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:52 am
Pittsburgh is the largest Jewish community of the ones you mentioned and will have the most options in terms of shuls, schools, restaurants, etc. Scranton is very warm and welcoming, but also smaller. Real estate is beyond cheap, but the job market can be challenging. It's also much closer to NY than the others. I don't know much about Rochester, except that it's also supposed to be friendly and pretty affordable.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:00 am
http://www.torahrochester.com/

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:22 am
We recently moved from ny to Kingston, pa, about 20 min from Scranton. We couldn't be happier. We checked out many communities and this was the best fit in terms of low cost housing, proximity to nyc, good chinuch (depending on what you're looking for--we wanted warmth, caring, not highly competitive). We are Chabad so I'm not so familiar with the Scranton community but I think you have many of the same advantages. I don't think you'll find a frum community anywhere with cheaper housing--not even Detroit or Cleveland. If you want to be within a couple hours drive of ny you can't do better. Jobs can be more difficult to come by and tend to pay on the lower end of the scale but for us it all evened out by the lower cost of living and overall lower stress. We love it here.

ima bima

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:53 am
I grew up in Rochester. IMO it is an ideal community! We love the people, institutions and even the city itself. It's a great place to raise a family! Hatzlacha with your decision!!

shanie5

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 8:18 pm
Scranton: Job market is tough.
Only 1 elementary school-boys and girls together. Mixed until 3rd grade. in 4th they separate for hebrew, in 7th for english too. 1 girls high school. 1 boys (oot) high school.
1 kosher store which tries to carry everything you need. Kosher section in local supermarket, but not a great one.
No restaurants, but a kosher bakery, 2 ritas ice, and 2 kosher krispy kreme donuts (if not makpid on cholov yisroel).
Warm, welcoming community.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 8:24 pm
I thought Scranton had two girls high-schools did they merge together?

shaimac1

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 9:42 pm
May I ask what type of graduate program he is applying to? Depending on the program there may be more communities that could be an option!

shanie5

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
I thought Scranton had two girls high-schools did they merge together?

Technically, there are 2. But one is now focusing on spanish speaking girls, who didnt necessarily go thru a jewish elementary education. Its not for regular mainstream kids anymore.

DVOM

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 10:32 am
Hi everyone! This is the poster here. Thank you so much to everyone who got back to me!

To answer someone's question: My husband is applying to masters programs in Occupational Therapy.

Whoever posted the Rochester website, thank you! That was really helpful. I am going to contact them.

We definitly want to stay within driving distance of NYC, which is where my folks and sibs live (my husband is Israeli, so his parents are for sure not withing driving distance Wink) A co-ed elementary school wouldn't be a deal breaker for us, so Scranton is still on the table.

What I'm seeing from many of the posts is that the job market might be very difficult in these places. I have a really wonderful, well paying and fulfilling job now, so that might end up being the most difficult part about moving.

Again, thanks so much to everyone who got back to me, and please do keep posting your valuable tips and info!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 2:55 pm
amother wrote:
We recently moved from ny to Kingston, pa, about 20 min from Scranton. We couldn't be happier. We checked out many communities and this was the best fit in terms of low cost housing, proximity to nyc, good chinuch (depending on what you're looking for--we wanted warmth, caring, not highly competitive). We are Chabad so I'm not so familiar with the Scranton community but I think you have many of the same advantages. I don't think you'll find a frum community anywhere with cheaper housing--not even Detroit or Cleveland. If you want to be within a couple hours drive of ny you can't do better. Jobs can be more difficult to come by and tend to pay on the lower end of the scale but for us it all evened out by the lower cost of living and overall lower stress. We love it here.

While it is certainly a shorter drive from Kingston vs Cleveland to NY - I beg to differ on the cost of living ...

Cleveland, OH:
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $76,974; Detached houses: $76,858; Townhouses or other attached units: $94,079; In 2-unit structures: $59,410; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $51,809; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $188,074; Mobile homes: $8,759

Median gross rent in 2013: $631

Kingston, PA:
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $148,343; Detached houses: $159,871; Townhouses or other attached units: $96,516; In 2-unit structures: $93,919; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $126,912; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $329,671; Mobile homes: $31,081; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $14,444

Median gross rent in 2013: $741.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 7:33 am
greenfire wrote:
While it is certainly a shorter drive from Kingston vs Cleveland to NY - I beg to differ on the cost of living ...

Cleveland, OH:
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $76,974; Detached houses: $76,858; Townhouses or other attached units: $94,079; In 2-unit structures: $59,410; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $51,809; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $188,074; Mobile homes: $8,759

Median gross rent in 2013: $631

Kingston, PA:
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $148,343; Detached houses: $159,871; Townhouses or other attached units: $96,516; In 2-unit structures: $93,919; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $126,912; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $329,671; Mobile homes: $31,081; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $14,444

Median gross rent in 2013: $741.

This is a quibble. You need to compare apples to apples--prices in the frum neighborhoods, not the city overall. I checked out all three cities before moving and this was my finding, but obviously each person will do their own research weighing all relevant factors.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating