Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Adding hair to a Sheitel

MiriW

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:18 pm
I bought an Allegria sheitel second hand and knew that it was a thin piece when I bought it. I needed a second sheitel and got a very good deal. ($500) It was originally a $2400 piece.

I took the sheitel to the local Allegria store and asked about adding hair, which they told me could be done. In order for it to be done properly they would have to send to China where it could hand sewn (this is because of the specific type of cap of the sheitel) and it would cost $500 to make it look really full (for 10 wefts at $50 each).

Here is the questions: Has anyone done this before? Sent a sheitel abroad for repairs? I do like the sheitel without adding hair but it would look 1000 times nicer with more hair, right now it looks a little dead! It is EXTREMELY comfortable which makes me feel inclined to do it because then I would have a beautiful and comfortable piece to wear everyday. I already have a nice Shabbos sheitel and an everyday sheitel that is a few years old but that I am happy with. I work every day outside of the home and have to be presentable and put together.

What would you do? Money is a factor here, as we are somewhat tight, but my husband owes me a gift! Smile

Thanks.

MiriW

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 1:47 pm
Bump

sky

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 4:05 pm
I did not send over seas (I think). I recently added hair to a 6 year old sheitel that I loved because it was comfortable. My wefts were hand sewn in on the sides and back, not in the front, you can feel the lines of the weft when running hands through the sheitel but it cannot be seen. They say in China they have much smaller stitches and knots, don't know if that is true.

Some ramblings:

The price points I received were:
- 200 - add a few wefts to side and back and make it look better
- 450 - add a lot of weft to side and back and make it look fantastic
- 700 - add wefts all over and make it look new.

I went with the 450 option. And it really looks fantastic. My only concern is that the front hair was full and nice to begin with so we didn't touch (front is more expensive) but I'm worried the hair may be looking old.

In the end I'm happy I did it. The hair is different then the old hair so I"m getting used to the sheitel looking different, not so much what I expected.

You have to keep in mind:
- Quality hair. Make sure will be good quality hair. Color, thickness, texture that you would like
- Will the front of the shietel be changed or added (I.e. bangs be updated)
- You will have to cut the sheitel. Cost is not included. It will depend on how much has to be cut - either full cut or recut
- You are pretty much buying a sheitel sight unseen, you really don't know what it will look like until it comes back.

MiriW

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 5:44 pm
Thank you so much for your detailed response. I am going to discuss with my husband and mak a decision. I hadn't thought about the difference in the hair quality so I'm happy that you mentioned that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels