Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Room divider

smile1818

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 8:25 pm
I live in a one bedroom apt with twins. Kids were in my room till now but I'm moving the twins into my large dining room soon and I was looking for ideas to divide the dining room to block out most of the light and noise. Any recommendations for sturdy and safe room dividers that won't tip if pushed by a child? Any special curtains out there? The "room" had 2 walls from the apt so only needs 2 more in shape of an L. Also need a way to get in lol

lfab

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:45 am
I posted this idea on another thread a little while ago:

This is a little more permanent, a little more expensive, and uses more floor space but could work in a living room area (if it's a decently sized room. We were given this idea when we needed to create an extra room in our basement. Bolt together several bookcases in an L shape, then bolt the 2 end bookcases into the walls in one corner of the room. You can put some of them facing into the "Baby's room" and some facing into the living room. Then you can use as regular shelves. You can paint the backs of the bookcases if you want so it looks a little nicer (since it will be in your main living area). We even took the shelves out of one bookcase and hung a tension shower rod up instead so it could be used as a closet. You can get relatively cheap bookcases from Target or Ikea but it still cost a few hundred dollars so probably only worth it if you don't plan on moving too soon.

we used regular full sized bookcases from Target. There was maybe a little more than a foot between the top of the bookcase and the ceiling. You can either leave the space open, put storage bins on top of the bookcases to close the gap, or cut a few pieces of wood and wedge them into the space to close the gap.
I also forgot to mention that we also bought a door with a frame that we bolted between 2 bookcases. We did this because the room was going to be used by a teenager who was going to be living with us for a couple of years. For just an infant you can just leave a space either at 1 end or between 2 bookcases so you can go in and out of the "room".

Here's the link to the other thread if you want to get some ideas.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 11:28 am
I like the bookcase idea. If you try it, make sure the bookcases are secured really well to the walls.

How about contacting a company that makes sukkahs? The materials, aluminum frame with leightweight panels, sound like they would work for your application:
http://www.leiterssukkah.com/modular.htm

Or you could conventionally frame the space with 2x4s and panel with something like this: http://www.portafab.com/hardboard-paper.html

And there are companies that specialize in room dividers — no idea what it costs:
http://www.roomdividersny.com/

smile1818

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 3:13 pm
The bookcase idea sounds really cool but it does seem like a lot of work and it would need to be secured well.
I looked into professional room dividers but they are really expensive.
I don't want to put in too much money.
Any idea where I can get a hospital like track to go around the cribs that's not too expensive? I was thinking to hang room darkening curtains from it

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 3:17 pm
What about those moveable walls they use for office cubbies? You can probably find some reasonably priced at a used office furniture store. The are usually fabric covered.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 3:18 pm
Results of Amazon search:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF.....Track

smile1818

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 6:46 pm
Thanks everyone!!

cbsp

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 7:35 am
We're using this product with the wire and clips:
http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalo.....8030/

Search for more options and you'll find all the components. We found room darkening curtains (extra long) at a closeout place. I think the whole thing cost less than $100 in '04.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics