Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Annoying Food Issues

amother
Orange

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 9:46 pm
So my oldest has some issues and is slowly starting to improve in the food department. He is 6 and started solids at almost 3 years old [long story.] The only thing he will reliably eat is simple carbs, but we are making progress with other foods. The second one used to eat everything, but after hanging around the older one started wanting to eat like him. Then there is my husband who wants a proper carb, protein, vegetable. And then there is me, who is moody and sometimes wants cereal and milk for dinner, or sometimes am dieting or whatever.
It is just so annoying that I have to cook five different dinners a night!
I start out thinking, "ok, what are we going to introduce today? I know, eggs, that's bland enough" So I'll make eggs, the 6 year old takes one lick and spits it out, and the second on, seeing the older one, throws it on the floor [he is almost 2]. So I go and make shnitzle. No luck. So I eat the shnitzle, but there is not enough left for my husband. So then I resort to waffles which is so unhealthy, but I know they will eat it. Older one eats it and younger one decides he doesn't want it. So I give him a pita. Then I think, ok, husband is almost home...he will just have to have leftovers. A few hours later I realize I didn't really have a real dinner and start cooking soup and having a roll.
And this is not just dinner, it is lunch and breakfast and snack too. I feel like the entire day is revolving around trying to get these kids to eat!! We waste so much food and spend so much money on food, and at the end of the day, even though I would be much happier just roasting some chicken, potatos and carrots for everyone, I end up serving frozen dinners and rolls because no one likes anything.
I cannot do a tuff luck, eat this I made it approach, because my oldest, as I said, has some pretty serious issues and can't handle that. My second one is really little, and how can I force him to eat dinner if I am not forcing his brother?
Now I see that the younger one is starting to get probably half of his calories from milk and I am scared he is going in the pattern of the first one!!

Ayala4

Post Thu, May 26 2016, 10:59 pm
sounds familiar! My oldest has sensory issues and will hardly eat anything and my next child a two year old doesn't have much of an appetite. I also make multiple "suppers" and end up serving them yogurt or cheerios

animeme

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 7:25 am
Feed the younger ones first, away from his brother. You sit for a minute and eat some too. You are eating it, nobody is throwing it, he may eat it too.

Talk to the older one's dr. Explain all his food issues. Find out what it's ok to feed him, for now, and when/if to introduce new foods. Younger one can eat again with older one if necessary, the same food as him.

Try to cook foods like schnitzel for you and dh once a week. You can use it that night, atore the rest, and use it again a couple days later (and take some for younger ds's dinner too.) Or freeze half for a nother day. With schnitzel, eat what you want and freeze the rest on a sheet tray. When frozen solid, toss them all in large ziploc bags. Take out however many pieces you need on any particular dinner night.

The goal is to not cook for everyone each night. Adults fresh one night, and kids eat leftovers or sandwiches or cereal. Kids require a lot of work one night, adults comes from freezer.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 7:43 am
Cook for you and DH first, a "proper" dinner.
All leftovers can be frozen or used the next day.
Make doubles and freeze, so you don't have to cook every night.
Prepare this early, or the night before, so all you have to do is put it in the oven/slow cooker, when you are ready.

Then, think about what your DS1 can/will eat.
Offer both options to DS2.

If that means the kids had cream cheese sandwiches every night, so be it.

Maybe think about giving them supplement shakes, if they can have it. This way you know they got their vitamins.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics