Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Brooklyn to OOT - and miss "in town"

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 7:00 am
I am from oot and have lived in Brooklyn for past seven years. I am so ready to leave Brooklyn and have parking spots a backyard a community etc. In a perfect world I would move to Bayswater, Inwood or Passaic. An opportunity just came up for me to move to the midwest. I am from the midwest. I agree with everything that is said on the other oot thread about the slower pace of life, affordable housing, more wholesome kids however there are certain advantages of "in town" that I am not so ready to give up. Whenever I go to my parents house I laugh at what they call a pizza shop and a kosher grocery store. Once gilrs start keeping tzinyus it is extremely hard and pricey to find shabbos clothing. I will have some family in this midwest town but you cant compare to the family in a two hours radius if I stayed east. If I leave the east I will probably not see my first cousins and aunts for years because I am not going to shlep in for cousins weddings/bar mitzvas. When my boys become highschool age I want them to have options. Yes there is a Yeshiva in the town we may move to but east you have tons and tons of Yeshivas in a 2 hour radius. Once a girl finishes sem you can not compare the options of frum college and offices east to anywhere else. I did not have such good years post sem thru marriage because of lack of options. I know anyone can always move to NY but its not always so simple if your parents dont have $$$$ and you are in college and cant work or have no social network there. This last reason is really really far in the future but I look at all of my aunts and uncles who live east and they all have all if not 90% of their married kids in a two hour radius. I think that is so beautiful. I really really really want to have all of my kids near me so I will see them and the cosuins/grandkids know each other etc. I grew up in the midwest with all my parents sibilings east and I definitely felt like I was missing something. Sorry for the length of this post. two points for you if you are still reading this. Did you move from "in town" to oot and were nervous about the move but found yourself very happy or do you always miss east and look to move back?

amother
Linen

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 7:20 am
OOT my entire life) but lived in NY for a number of years single. I hated it in NY. Yes you might have 100 schools but you are judged for sending to A over B when no one can explain the difference! No identifiable hashkafic differences etc. kids won't play together because of the wrong school, live on wrong block, or you wear the wrong shoes (too nebby, too trendy...too wasteful, too practical).
Today you can get frum clothing anywhere- online or in, gasp!, a regular store! If it's hard to find, odds are the kids won't have the same peer pressure for it or the local fashions will be different.

I knew I would never want to raise my kids in NY. Yes I have some extended family there but still. Not worth the headache of living there.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 7:36 am
We just moved out of ny, best decision I ever made. BUT we only moved 2.5 hours away. Proximity to ny was a big factor in our choice. My older boys are in Yeshiva in ny but it's only a short drive away.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:07 am
we moved from "Passaic" to OOT- Passaic is OOT compared to /brookln but compared to the midwest its not both in terms of pros and in terms of cons, everything is a trade off...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, May 28 2016, 7:48 pm
Is there harm in moving while you have an opportunity, and re-evaluating when your children get older (boys yeshiva age, girls post-HS) and see if you really want to be on the east coast as they get older? If you have a while till then, I don't think there is harm in moving now.

Not sure how to help you about the laughable pizza and grocery store..you kind of just get used to it, especially if you were brought up like that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating