Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
SPICY MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 9:55 am
Expert Sephardic cooks, please take pity on this humble Ashkenazi LOL I liked this very much and since it was a sturdy salad, it was good to have in the fridge. Reminds me of some of my favorite places where you can build a meal by selecting three sides. I just got the Lemonade cookbook which is a mini chain in California and it has a lot of these kinds of salads and small plates.

Another great recipe from Ottolenghi.

Source: "Plenty" by Yotam Ottolenghi.

SPICY MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD

It may look like a simple salad, but Yotam Ottolenghi's spicy Moroccan carrot salad is packed with flavor, and a perfect option for Meatless Monday. Tender but still-crunchy carrots are combined with caramelized onion, garlic, chile, cloves, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, cumin, preserved lemon and fresh cilantro leaves. Sure, you could make it tonight, and any other day of the week.

Total time: 45 minutes, plus cooling time | Serves 4.

2 pounds carrots

1/3 cup olive oil, plus extra to finish

1 onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon sugar

3 garlic cloves, crushed

1 serrano chile, finely chopped (and seeded, if you want less heat)

1 green onion, finely chopped

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground coriander

3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

1 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon

Salt

2 1/2 cups cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped, plus extra to garnish

1/2 cup Greek yogurt, chilled

1. Peel the carrots and cut them, depending on their size, into cylinders or semicircles one-half-inch thick; all the pieces should end up roughly the same size. Place in a large saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer until tender but still crunchy, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and leave to dry out.

2. Heat the oil in a large pan and saute the onion over medium heat until soft and slightly brown, about 12 minutes. Add the cooked carrots to the onion, followed by the sugar, garlic, chile, onion, cloves, ground ginger, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, cumin, vinegar and preserved lemon.

3. Remove from the heat. Season liberally with salt, stir well and leave to cool.

4. Before serving, stir in the cilantro, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve in individual bowls with a dollop of yogurt, a drizzle of oil and a garnish of the extra cilantro.

Each serving: 317 calories; 5 grams protein; 29 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 22 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 5 mg cholesterol; 14 grams sugar; 193 mg sodium.

ydragm

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:21 am
Any good ideas for a good salad that goes well with a bbq?
TIA

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:32 am
ydragm wrote:
Any good ideas for a good salad that goes well with a bbq?
TIA

What kind of salad - generally for a "regular" type of BBQ, most people do a variant of potato salad and slaw.

This is my favorite slaw type of salad. The honey roasted peanuts make it really relish.

I often just use bagged slaw mix to make it easier and I rough chop the raisins so they aren't as big but I don't finely chop them.

Fusion Coleslaw
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Ingredients:

3 cups shredded red cabbage
3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
3 small green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
2 ½ teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon sambal oelek (see Kitchen Note)
1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 cup honey-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

1. Place red cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large bowl.

2. Combine sesame oil, vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, sambal oelek, ginger and salt in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning, adding more sambal oelek and salt to taste.

3. Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Add peanuts and raisins and toss again. Refrigerate, covered, to allow flavors to develop, 2 to 4 hours. Stir in sesame seeds just before serving, and serve chilled.

Notes:

Times Kitchen Note: There are many hot chile pepper pastes used as table condiments in China and Southeast Asia; sambal oelek is the most common and most popular. Containing chiles, salt, vinegar and sometimes garlic and tamarind, the fiery paste gives food a powerful flavor boost.

ydragm

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:38 am
Tnxs that looks really interesting. I may just try it. Always looking out for new stuff

ydragm

Post Fri, May 27 2016, 10:39 am
Tnxs that looks really interesting. I may just try it. Always looking out for new stuff
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes