Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
New to Ipad- all help appreciated

mamaleh

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 10:11 pm
Ok, so I just got an ipad (air 2, if it makes a difference).
I was not planning to get it, someone gave it to me (brand new), but I figure I may as well take advantage.

I have a few questions/issues:

What do you use yours for?

Any good tips or tricks (keep in mind, I have never even had a smartphone-I like my flip-phone- but I am pretty good with my laptop, etc)

What apps should I get? mostly looking for FREE basics including: Siddur/tehillim, zmanim, Jewish calendar (alone or with regular good calendar for scheduling, etc), list making, maybe one or two (educational) games that can be used for my kids during waiting times (dr office, etc), and any others you think are great. (I did read some of the other threads I found but I'm still confused)

Do I need a security program? (I use ESET on my computers and am due to renew soon)

What filters work? (for my computer I use WebChaver with their filtering option)

Thanks!!!!

twogees

Post Sun, May 29 2016, 11:53 pm
I just ordered one myself to free up space on my phone.

Tips-get a screen protector and a case if you dont have one-and dont let your kids touch it till then-much easier and cheaper to buy a case and protector then it is to replace your ipad.

For the apps-I plan to put on a siddur/tehillim, yahoomail (to check mail at home/when away from home), my banks app, my budget program, a grocery list app of some sort, probably a game or 2 but thats about it. also will be using when we go away instead of bringing my computer which is annoying to pack and carry around...(mine I am getting as a cheaper replacement for my computer that is starting to need to be replaced...)

seeker

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:16 am
(note: Almost everything I have was free, but some were free for limited time and I don't remember which)

I am a little outdated and don't know what's trending now, but I use evernote a lot for note-types of things. Notability is nicer if you want to do more writing/drawing directly on your notes, but overall I prefer evernote especially because I'm not much of a stylus user. Also google drive/docs/etc for more real documents as opposed to notes.

I have mint budgeting app but it doesn't do as much as the website. It's useful for checking in and adding things on the go, though.

I have an app called 30/30 that I really like to use as a temporary task list. It times each task and keeps me focused. I schedule in breaks, too. I don't use it often enough and it can never replace the master task list, but when you know what you need to do that day, or that evening, or that hour, it helps stay on track.

I use Myfitnesspal when I remember to track diet/nutrition/exercise goals.

I like Grid Diary though I go in and out of streaks of using it. It's like short journaling prompts.

My kids like SuperStretch which is basically animated yoga. I would have done it a little differently if I'd created the app but as a user it's ok. It gets the kids yoga-ing, anyway.

Transit for bus and train times in several cities.

Kindle for Amazon reading. Youtube. facebook. Skype.

Kids educational games I mostly rotate because I don't have enough memory to keep a whole lot and I don't have many that I love enough to want to keep full-time. I do keep the ones my kids are attached to so I don't run into any crises in a wifi-less waiting room. They like Imagi Box (a drawing type of thing), Thinking Time Pro, Bugs and Buttons (a little more "meh" IMO. Nice graphics but the games are not as exciting as they want to be.)

I like Little Writer for people learning their letters, and BD bake off (paid about $2) for kids who mix up b and d (and p and q)

My older students LOVED Stack the States (there's a trial version but the $4ish version was worth it) and something with salami true-and-false (stack the salami?) that I can look up if you want, I don't have any older students right now so I deleted them for space. I also like Mathmateer - another free trial/$4-5 by the same people as Stack the States, I believe. Sushi Monster - GREAT free app for addition and multiplication skills. GREAT. and free.

I've actually had a lot of really nice games in the past that are no longer on my ipad because alas 16 gb cannot handle very much at all.

seeker

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:23 am
Oh and for Jewish calendar - I use google calendar, you can add other people's calendars to that, and there is one called (I think) Jewish holidays that will add all the important Jewish dates right in. Then you can have the ipad calendar sync with google and any other calendars (mine syncs with facebook events and everything associated with my gmail account.) My google calendar shows all the dates in hebrew and english but I think on the ipad it only shows the "event" dates (ie holidays)

And amen to the screen protector and case.

Rusty Brick makes a free siddur and zmanim app.

youngishbear

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 1:28 am
I don't have an ipad but if you like to read there are apps that let you borrow and read ebooks from your local library, depending on your local system obviously. Another reason to love Brooklyn lol.

The android app I have is called Overdrive, but most books are available as Kindle files as well. I am not familiar enough with the Apple system to know whether these specific apps are available in iOS but I'm just mentioning the idea of using your ipad for ebooks in case you want to look into it.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:07 am
Shopping apps
Your bank
ובלכתך בדרך
Calculator
Paprika for recipes, but you have to put the security on 17+. For me it's worth it.
If you're keeping it at home using your home internet, get open DNS. It blocks better than the other systems we've tried. Some blocked the posts, but not the ads on sites like imamother.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 9:06 am
youngishbear wrote:
I don't have an ipad but if you like to read there are apps that let you borrow and read ebooks from your local library, depending on your local system obviously. Another reason to love Brooklyn lol.

The android app I have is called Overdrive, but most books are available as Kindle files as well. I am not familiar enough with the Apple system to know whether these specific apps are available in iOS but I'm just mentioning the idea of using your ipad for ebooks in case you want to look into it.

Overdrive is available for the IPad. You link it to your local library and then can download ebooks and reserve them.

Poodle Sprint is a silly game which ,y kids seem to enjoy. It's free

I have just discovered the wonderful world of digital coloring books. Don't laugh. There are quite a few choices and most of them offer free pictures and coloring tools. Some have subscriptions and some are just buy one time. I bought a relatively inexpensive one that was under $10 but I also use the free parts of subscription ones like recolor. Obviously fun for key too although the complicated designs for adults would probably frustrate younger kids.

I have fitness App on it.

I mostly use iBooks to read and also prefer reading emails and surfing Internet on the iPad as I can do on couch.

I have a cooking app called Macgourmet which synchs on my computer as well. Very handy as I can find recipes easily and also to coordinate shopping lists.

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:46 pm
Wow!!!

Thanks so much everyone!!

I got a screen protector and case (Thanks for that)- Target had a Griffin Survivor case on clearance from $80 for $23, so I just got that- the guy in the store told me it's really good.

I'm having a problem finding a free siddur app- maybe I just don't know how to look for it, but... If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Seeker- Thank you for such a great list. Some of those games sound perfect for my kids I have to check them out!!

Did anyone put an internet security program on theirs? Which ones work? ESET has a multi-platform package that we are considering. Has anyone used them?

sleepybeauty

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:51 pm
I second ובלכתך בדרך.
It's a free app with Siddur, tanach, Gemara and Halacha Sefardim. It also has sefira reminder notifications.

mamaleh

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:54 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
I second ובלכתך בדרך.
It's a free app with Siddur, tanach, Gemara and Halacha Sefardim. It also has sefira reminder notifications.

I just found it & downloaded it. Thanks!!

Goldie613

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 3:30 am
How old are your kids? Candy crush and it's various cousins (pet saga, there's also something with jelly in the name) are fine once the kids know their colors - the beginning levels are about matching colors to get them out of the way, and it goes up in difficulty from there. Just make sure to disable in app purchases! (Basically, it keeps the kids from buying the extras with whatever credit card info you may have on there).

If your kids watch tv, then pbskids has one (it ties in with shows like Sesame Street, Barney, etc).

You can also find free puzzle apps (the kids can do a puzzle on the ipad). There's also a number of food ones (they"ll come up if you search under "food games") where the kids prepare the food and sell it to pretend customers. They have them for cupcakes, pizza, hot dogs, etc. Many games have at least part of it for free, and you can always just opt not to buy the higher levels.

There are things to disable to make it safer for the kids - turning off locations on the camera, plus you can set age restrictions, so that more "adult" content is blocked.

Oh, and turn off "deleting apps" (should also be in the "restrictions" part), that way the kids can't accidentally take off what you've installed. You can still delete things - you"ll just need to enter a code first.

BTW, I don't know if you (or your kids) will be using it for browsing online, but mobicip is a nice kid friendly browser that will let you set levels based on age as well. The basic model is free, though the fancier ones you have to pay for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics