Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Short and Heavy, What Styles Will Look Good?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:54 am
Seeing how so many of you have exemplary taste... I hope some of you can help me out here!

I'm short and heavy. Not that short - about 5'3. And high waisted. And to my dismay, a solid size 18.

I've always been skinny. Like ranging from sizes 0-4. I rapidly bumped up to this size over the course of a year fraught with metabolic issues.

And now I'm totally clueless what to wear!

I haven't gone shopping in a year. Everything I try on makes me look even bigger than I am. What style is flattering for a short and heavy young woman?

Please help me out here. The little clothing I did get is in tatters, and I must go shopping - but I don't know what to buy. I want to look pretty and current, even if I'm overweight.

Any suggestions for what styles would be flattering? Some links or pictures as an extra bonus?

If you can give me some ideas, I'm already grateful! Thank you!

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:22 pm
I almost could have written this post. I'm 5'3" and size 16. I was not always this size, recent issue and now I'm very overweight Sad . I desperately need clothes.

agreer

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:31 pm
Black is always slimming :-)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 12:35 pm
I like longish tops that camouflage the waist. Of course it depends on your waist/abdomen. That's where most of my weight is.

And some people try to tell me to wear straight fitted skirts and I just won't because of comfort/being able to sit.

But the truth is when I see myself in a picture I am always shocked how wide I look.

I buy a lot of clothing from Lands End. Their sizing is very consistent once you know what size you are. However while the XL sweaters work very well, I don't do so well with their shirts.

Amarante

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 3:18 pm
Tunics over straight skirts. The slinky skirts are comfy because they stretch.

Also trick the eye by dividing it. Put a brightly colored top under a tunic length cardigan and straight skirt on black or other dark color. I like black as my staple and then only buy what goes with black. When I branch out to navy or brown, o find it difficult to match.

Avoid anything that visually cuts your body in half horizontally.

In winter, black tights/stockings with black shoes and the black skirt gives an elongating line. In summer wear a looser long skirt with a top that skims the tush and hip.

Go for a good fit even if you have to tailor sleeves. You dot want to wear anything too tight that shows bulges but you als want to avoid clothing that is so oversized that it looks as if made by Omar the Tentmaker.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 3:30 pm
I could also have written this thread. Very happy to see suggestions. Any links to photos or sites to purchase are also much appreciated.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 4:11 pm
I'm short and fat too. I recently got this top in a few prints. It looks very slimming.

http://m.kohls.com/product/prd.....namic

Amarante

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 4:21 pm
Shopping online, I like ullapopken.com.

It's a bit more expensive than some but the quality is far higher and I think the styles are more classy.

There are always coupons and sales. I always Google for coupons before buying.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:03 pm
Styles that look good are any that you enjoy wearing. I'm short and curvy too but don't listen to what other people advise me on about making me look taller or slimmer. I personally don't want to look taller or slimmer, I want to look like me, curvy and short. Good luck OP finding clothes that you want to wear and make you feel good.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:10 pm
Quote:
I like ullapopken.com.
I see it says Young Fashion.

Do you recommend for bubbies nearing 60?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
I like ullapopken.com.
I see it says Young Fashion.

Do you recommend for bubbies nearing 60?

Take a look as most of the clothing is I think suitable for adult women. There are of course some very casual styles which frum women wouldn't wear bit secular adult women would.

Much more adult than Lane Bryant for example which really caters to kids.

More expensive but far more sophisticated are plus sizes from Nirdstroms, Saks and Neiman Marcus. Macy's also has a plus section but I found it was eithe very formal suits or very casual which wasn't my lifestyle. If you go to these stores in person the selection is of course better. I particularly like Saks but it has gotten super expensive. In Los Angeles, there is a small boutique called Abindance which has interesting items. It's especially good for very dressy stuff and one of a kindish tops.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 5:47 pm
http://www.fashiontofigure.com/ check out this website

Here's a few things I pulled from there [but depending on how you are carrying the weight effects if it will look good. For example, if you have a big tummy you should stay away from dresses, but if not, you can wear them]:
http://www.fashiontofigure.com......html

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 6:36 pm
I'm five feet, about forty lbs overweight. Right now I'm obsessed with my mimumaxi dresses (and skirts, and tops...) So easy, throw-on and go, can dress 'em up or down, wear them belted or loose, just great clothes. No, I don't work for them, lol, I'm just a happy customer!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:11 am
Op here, thank you so much everyone for your advice and links!

I saw eShakti mentioned on another thread. Anyone here ever tried them? Are their cuts flattering?

I looked at their site, and they have gorgeous stuff. Do you think these dresses would look good on a short, heavy figure: (I'd change the neckline and length of second)

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dr.....41475

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dr.....41225

I love colorful prints, but don't know if they're going to accentuate my weight or not.

Also, I like Amarante's advice about long stuff in the summer. Do you think maxi dresses will be good too? If yes, what kind?

Thank you all for your suggestions. This is totally new terrain for me, and I really appreciate the help!

Amarante

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:35 am
They are pretty dresses but I would be hesitant be cause they wouldn't be returnable if they didn't work.

Also, both of them are essentially shirtwaist styles with a fitted waist and a tight bodice - or at least a semi fitted bodice. The style may or may not work for you depending on how you carry your weight. Do you have a small waist and a relatively small midriff? If not, I would go for something more forgiving.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 2:08 am
amother wrote:
I'm five feet, about forty lbs overweight. Right now I'm obsessed with my mimumaxi dresses (and skirts, and tops...) So easy, throw-on and go, can dress 'em up or down, wear them belted or loose, just great clothes. No, I don't work for them, lol, I'm just a happy customer!

I just went on this website and their clothing is terribly unflattering. everyone looks at least 30 pounds heavier than they probably are.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 2:32 am
amother wrote:
I just went on this website and their clothing is terribly unflattering. everyone looks at least 30 pounds heavier than they probably are.

Oh good it's not just me. LOL

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:27 am
I just wanted to add that being 5 ft and 10 lbs overweight, I do very well with kohls. I 'm not sure if this would help you, but I buy from their petite section since the tops are not as long when ordering petites. Also, if you buy a top that is too wide or too long and the size smaller is too tight, just bring it to a seamstress to take in a little. I have created my own (limited) wardrobe this way since nothing ever seems to fit just right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics