Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Cooking for shavuos without a stove or oven!!!!!
1  2  Next

N'sMom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:32 pm
My building has been without gas for several weeks due to a major gas leak and will be for at least 2 more. That means I am cooking for shavuos with only rudimentary small appliances. Here is what I have: a small plug in grill, a crock pot and a one burner hot plate. We are healthy eaters and usually rely very heavily on the oven. Lots of kinds of roasted veggies, baked or poached fruit, turkey roast... for shavuos would also have made salmon once or twice, and lasagne. But none of those are doable. Also bear in mind that none of the appliances I have, except the crockpot, will be usable on shabbos and yom tov so we will mostly be eating food cold.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:48 pm
N'sMom wrote:
My building has been without gas for several weeks due to a major gas leak and will be for at least 2 more. That means I am cooking for shavuos with only rudimentary small appliances. Here is what I have: a small plug in grill, a crock pot and a one burner hot plate. We are healthy eaters and usually rely very heavily on the oven. Lots of kinds of roasted veggies, baked or poached fruit, turkey roast... for shavuos would also have made salmon once or twice, and lasagne. But none of those are doable. Also bear in mind that none of the appliances I have, except the crockpot, will be usable on shabbos and yom tov so we will mostly be eating food cold.

Pan sear chicken breasts and skirt steaks and serve at room temperature.
On the burner hotplate make a poached salmon that keeps well in the fridge for a few days.
Grill as many vegetables as you can on the mini grill. Do an assortment of vegetables and season each differently for variety.
You can do lots of raw salads which are great to even out the meals. Dips that don't need to be cooked are great to round out the meal too. Spinach dip, tomato dip, tehina, humus, guacamole... Serve cubed melon, fruit salad, fruit kebabs, sorbet.
You can poach fruit on the burner or make applesauce in the crockpot. You can use either for soup as well.
Make rice ahead of time, quinoa, and cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes too and make rice salads, quinoa salad, potato salads to serve cold or at room temperature.
All these can be served at room temperature.
You can then use the crockpot to make something fresh and hot for each meal like rotisserie chicken over baby potatoes, shredded beef, roast beef, salmon, soup, rice, potatoes, chocolate cake, cholent for shabbos...

N'sMom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:51 pm
Thank you! That really works! How do I make rotisserie chicken in the crockpot?

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:55 pm
I was in a similar situation a few years back and I was able to buy a toaster oven for $16 which really made a difference. Maybe look around for s/thing like that?

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 8:56 pm
N'sMom wrote:
Thank you! That really works! How do I make rotisserie chicken in the crockpot?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/4.....tyle/
Use a little more than half of this spice rub for 1 chicken in the crockpot and refrigerate overnight.
Place breast side down in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 6.5 hours. Perfection.
You can do baby red potatoes underneath and the full meal comes out delicous but if you don't need the extra side dish I love the chicken itself when it creates its own juice and sits it in as it slow cooks.

N'sMom

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 9:00 pm
That really sounds great.

tulips12

Post Mon, May 30 2016, 9:46 pm
Would you use a timer for the burner to warm up food? That gives you more options of different warm dishes that don't work in a crock pot. Have it go on for about an hour by mealtime.

Last edited by tulips12 on Tue, May 31 2016, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

N'sMom

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 6:35 pm
Tulips, I'm nervous about leaving the burner on a time. I seem to have bad luck with timers and I would be worried it wouldn't go off. Mtzadhasheini,it may come to that if this isn't resolved soon, but it isn't my first choice as my small kitchen is already crowded with the burner and grill, plus the things that live there normally. When I looked at ra_mom's list I realized that it was full of items that I make regularly and CAN make with what I have, so perhaps this is more nerves than reality. Having said that... still taking ideas.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 6:56 pm
I understand the nerves because it's more labor intensive and time consuming to make your regular items on those small appliances. I've done it though. The way to get through this is to start cooking early the items that can be made ahead of time. Freeze soup, applesauce, roast beef and various meat dishes now. Some egg noodles like orzo and cabbage and noodle dishes freeze well. Rice if done properly too. Just wrap in a foil packet and place on top of hot crockpot cover for 2-3 hours or so until steaming hot to reheat.
Make the items that need to be kept in the refrigerator a day or two before yom tov like fish, chicken, rice, boiled potatoes.
Leave only the vegetable dishes and grilled chicken or meat for erev yom tov (though the vegetables should be cut and ready and the meats should be preseasoned and ready for the grill the day before).
And any dishes that will be made fresh in the crockpot on yom tov itself should be planned and maybe prepped ahead of time.
God luck, we are here for you.

crbc

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:09 pm
Consider buying this , I love mine' I am thinking of buying one for milchiks http://www.amazon.com/Instant-.....t+pot

N'sMom

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:18 pm
It looks nice but it doesn't seem to serve a function that I don't already have and my counters are already crowded. If I were to get something else (which I am trying not to) it would be something I can bake and roast in.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 4:07 am
ra_mom wrote:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/45954/roast-sticky-chicken-rotisserie-style/
Use a little more than half of this spice rub for 1 chicken in the crockpot and refrigerate overnight.
Place breast side down in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 6.5 hours. Perfection.
You can do baby red potatoes underneath and the full meal comes out delicous but if you don't need the extra side dish I love the chicken itself when it creates its own juice and sits it in as it slow cooks.

There seems to be quite a bit of salt in the recipe. Do you actually use all of it?
Do you think it would it be ok to halve the amount (1 tsp. per chicken)?
Also, have you made it in the oven as per the instructions included in the recipe?
How does it come out?
I'm intrigued by the idea of the long and slow oven method...
TIA

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 7:29 am
etky wrote:
There seems to be quite a bit of salt in the recipe. Do you actually use all of it?
Do you think it would it be ok to halve the amount (1 tsp. per chicken)?
Also, have you made it in the oven as per the instructions included in the recipe?
How does it come out?
I'm intrigued by the idea of the long and slow oven method...
TIA

2 teaspoons per chicken is quite good, comes out to perfection, especially in the crockpot where the flavors get a bit diluted and you need more seasoning. But feel free to use less. I have other crockpot chicken recipes (not whole chicken) that call for 2 teaspoons of kosher salt aka 1 1/3 teaspoons table salt, so feel free to go down to 1 1/3 teaspoons to try.

We make the slow roasted rotisserie chicken in the oven as instructed and it's just phenomenal!

N'sMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:29 am
Wondering how this might work with a turkey breast 1/4.

etky

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:35 am
ra_mom wrote:
2 teaspoons per chicken is quite good, comes out to perfection, especially in the crockpot where the flavors get a bit diluted and you need more seasoning. But feel free to use less. I have other crockpot chicken recipes (not whole chicken) that call for 2 teaspoons of kosher salt aka 1 1/3 teaspoons table salt, so feel free to go down to 1 1/3 teaspoons to try.

We make the slow roasted rotisserie chicken in the oven as instructed and it's just phenomenal!

Hmm. Thanks.
I'm really tempted to try it. I love the spice combination - especially the thyme.
The only drawback is the oven time. Then again, Shabbat comes in late now....

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 11:05 am
Crbc I also have that and so far really like it. Id love to know what you make in it. As per this thread...oon yom tov I use mostly tea lights in the oven to heat up my food piping hot, it doesnt heat up the house like leaving on an oven! Just place them on a disposable cookie sheet on the bottom of your oven afew hours before serving . For a large oven I use about 16.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 11:16 am
Please don't use tealights in a closed oven. There have been numerous explosions from this method of food warming.

N'sMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 11:16 am
Wow what a great idea, lavender! Will try that!

N'sMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 11:17 am
Oops. Just read ra_mom. I guess I won't. Back to no lasagne....

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 11:22 am
N'sMom wrote:
Oops. Just read ra_mom. I guess I won't. Back to no lasagne....

You can buy disposable sterno warmers for yom tov that you can light with an existing flame and keep them on the counter top.
Please read up on sterno safety before using and be careful with the hot tubs of flames when you're done with them and waiting for them to die out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics