Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Why would my 4 yr old suddenly start sleeping for 14 hours?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:14 am
He seems fine. It's just really strange that for the last few nights he sleeps for about 14 hours. We are not jet lagged or anything like that -that he would need more sleep. He was the type that was waking up at 7-7:30 and suddenly he just can't get up ... even with the noise in the house. Luckily I am not working and I am able to sit around and wait for him to wake up. He has a very mild runny nose but is happy despite his sniffle. He is not on any meds and is his usual self once he gets up. I put him to bed at around 8:15 last night. He just slept through the morning rush here, phone ringing, doors slamming. Still sleeping at 10:15am.... should I be concerned since it happened a few times like this in the last few days?

amother
Tan

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:20 am
He could be anemic. My friend had the same thing with her son and took him to the doctor. She took him for a blood test and found out that he was severely anemic and needed to take a heavy dose of iron supplements.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:28 am
He should be taken to the pediatrician...it could be mono. Or just a growth spurt. Always best to have a doctor check out changes in such things.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
He could be anemic. My friend had the same thing with her son and took him to the doctor. She took him for a blood test and found out that he was severely anemic and needed to take a heavy dose of iron supplements.

thanks - I guess anything is possible but since we are receiving WIC he gets his iron level tested about 2x a yr. I'm assuming that it's fine but will keep in mind. (still sound asleep at 10:30!)

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:31 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
He should be taken to the pediatrician...it could be mono. Or just a growth spurt. Always best to have a doctor check out changes in such things.

mono ...without fever? Is that possible?

I certainly will take him to the dr. if this continues. Thanks

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 12:41 pm
He may be fighting off a virus, or going through a growth spurt. Definitely have him checked by the doctor if he's still sleeping like that tomorrow. It could be strep, so make sure he gets cultured for both A and B strains.

It's always better to be on the safer side of things. Don't worry if the doctor thinks you're "that mother", just trust your instincts.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
mono ...without fever? Is that possible?

I certainly will take him to the dr. if this continues. Thanks

Sure! I've had mono and so did my brother...you dont always have fever with mono.

octopus

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 3:30 pm
Could be coming down with something. Is he constantly thirsty? drinking a ton? thirstiness /sleeping/ could be a sign of type 1 diabetes. But it can also be nothing. Check it out.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 3:35 pm
growth spurt ... kids grow when they sleep [so they say]

Bruria

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 5:05 pm
He could be having a growth spurt, call your doctor if you are worried, but it's not unusual for kids to change their sleep patterns.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 3:02 pm
My daughter often does this in the few days before she comes down with something.

Alternatively, my preschooler was just like that for a while, and. . . it was mono. In young children, mono often completely symptom-free, or with minimal non-specific symptoms. Get him checked for EBV (the virus that causes mono) and CMV (a virus which causes something like mono but is usually asymptomatic).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics