Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Looking for article on Jewish soldier during WW1

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:31 am
Hi, I am looking for a article about a soldier during World War 1 who almost killed the commander of the enemy fire, and then heard his enemy shout "shma yisrael" and he put down his gun when he realized his enemy was a Jew like himself.
I have been looking for this story to share with my students, and haven't found it.
Anyone know how I can get the story?
Ive googled and googled..

Thank you,
Have a wonderful day!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 10:54 am
Not an article, but that was my great grandfather you're talking about! Unfortunately it was too late and the other soldier died. My great grandfather was horribly traumatized from the incident. My grandmother wrote about that story in her book. The book is called Ghetto Shanghai (they were in Shanghai during WWII).

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
Not an article, but that was my great grandfather you're talking about! Unfortunately it was too late and the other soldier died. My great grandfather was horribly traumatized from the incident. My grandmother wrote about that story in her book. The book is called Ghetto Shanghai (they were in Shanghai during WWII).

oh wow!

is there a way I can get a copy to the story?

thanks for responding!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:

just to make sure its the same story, because ami emailed me a article , although it was a similar story, it wasnt the one I remember reading.

more details of the story-

it was abt a commander, his comrade was killed (I think they were out on night patrol, and they were killed from some new kind of chemical warfare), he found his soldiers dead and they were blue from the gas? and he swore revenge on the enemy, he planned a surprise attack, to the smallest detail, he swore revenge on the enemy commander everything was in place and when it came time the commander yelled shema yisrael..

thanks again!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:07 pm
As I know the story, my great grandfather was in hand to hand combat during the Battle of Verdun. He was German and he was shooting at a French soldier. He was wounded and managed to get one more shot off and wounded the French soldier fatally. And then he heard the Frenchman saying shema...
Could be there's another similar story. German Jews fought for Germany at the time and French Jews fought for France. Anyway, you could probably check my grandma's book out of the library, it's only a small snippet, but the whole Shanghai story is pretty interesting in its own right.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
As I know the story, my great grandfather was in hand to hand combat during the Battle of Verdun. He was German and he was shooting at a French soldier. He was wounded and managed to get one more shot off and wounded the French soldier fatally. And then he heard the Frenchman saying shema...
Could be there's another similar story. German Jews fought for Germany at the time and French Jews fought for France. Anyway, you could probably check my grandma's book out of the library, it's only a small snippet, but the whole Shanghai story is pretty interesting in its own right.

thanks! I actually chked my library right away!
they x have it:(
maybe they can have it transferred from a diff library!

thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics