Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Oppenheimers - Tell me all about it.

working hard

Post Tue, May 31 2016, 11:00 pm
The food, daycamp, rooms, entertainment, amenities... any info would be very appreciated.

Thank you

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 3:09 am
We've been visiting oppenheimer's for the past 20+ years, so I think I can say I know the place well...
The hotel itself has seen better days. However, we still love going back almost every summer. The food is quite good and we can't complain about that. Their day camp is usually good - good enough to keep the little ones busy and the best part is that it begins during mealtime so we get some time for ourselves. The pool is heated. All in all, it's the serenity and beautiful air that keeps us going back every summer. In fact, already called to inquire for this summer iyh.
Feel free to ask any questions.

Health is a Virture

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 6:09 am
chocolate chips anyone?

(it's a brand of c.c)

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 7:45 am
I was there fore shababos once. I felt like I stepped into the early 1980s. It was awful!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:21 pm
My family has been going for over 15 years. It's not a Sheraton, so if that's what you're expecting you will be disappointed. The foods good, the pool is nice and the location is beautiful.

working hard

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:29 pm
Can you tell me about the meals: times, wait times, service, quantity, kid friendly...
The daycamp: ages, activities, times..
Shabbos: Program, mealtimes
tea room: when is it available, what do they have there?
Do they have any toys available on a regular basis?
Do they service the rooms daily?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:58 pm
working hard wrote:
Can you tell me about the meals: times, wait times, service, quantity, kid friendly...
The daycamp: ages, activities, times..
Shabbos: Program, mealtimes
tea room: when is it available, what do they have there?
Do they have any toys available on a regular basis?
Do they service the rooms daily?

Breakfast at 9, lunch at 1, dinner at 7. They usually have a waiter for 3 to 4 tables, so meals are served pretty quickly. They always have a variety of food available so there will be something for the kids to eat as well. Breakfast is pretty much open so you can request any style eggs, cereal, cheese, salad..
Lunch you'll usually have melon, macaroni for kids and dinner you can request some chicken and side.
Day camp is basically for all ages, though I wouldnt send my older boys there. Activities range from games, crafts, park... I also like the fact that the day camp counselors take the kids swimming. Day camp runs from breakfast to lunchtime. After lunch it's swimming and then I believe until 6. Then, during dinner.
They dont provide toys, just some games. I bring along toys and activities according to my kids ages to keep them occupied and happy.
They do have daily room service. Again, as pp said, don't expect it to be a Sheraton hotel...
Shabbos is pretty much the same as all week. They usually have a perek shiur in the afternoon, but no special program.
Tea room is open in the afternoon and in the evening after dinner. It consists of cookies, cake, fruit, and coffee and tea.
They do usually show interesting movies or dvds after dinner for the ladies only.

working hard

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:08 pm
Thank you seagreen. I'll see you there.
Anything else I want to know about going there with 4 little kids (ages 5,3,3,1).

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:58 pm
working hard wrote:
Thank you seagreen. I'll see you there.
Anything else I want to know about going there with 4 little kids (ages 5,3,3,1).

I don't know how long you're planning to go for, but there is a laundromat on main street where you can easily wash and dry laundry.
Bring along sweaters and raincoats for cooler and rainy days.
Some easy toys and activities, coloring books and crayons.
I like to bring along a stash of chips just to keep kids happy from 6 to 7 before dinner is served.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 2:24 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I was there fore shababos once. I felt like I stepped into the early 1980s. It was awful!

When we went up to our room it was covered with dead bugs. The hotel was very old and dilapidated. Food was good, but I would never go there again.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
When we went up to our room it was covered with dead bugs. The hotel was very old and dilapidated. Food was good, but I would never go there again.

That sounds absurd!
They know us really well as we literally grew up there.. I call in the day before we go up to make sure room is clean and remind them again of the amenities we need - amount of beds, cribs, blankets..

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 6:40 pm
amother wrote:
Breakfast at 9, lunch at 1, dinner at 7. They usually have a waiter for 3 to 4 tables, so meals are served pretty quickly. They always have a variety of food available so there will be something for the kids to eat as well. Breakfast is pretty much open so you can request any style eggs, cereal, cheese, salad..
Lunch you'll usually have melon, macaroni for kids and dinner you can request some chicken and side.
Day camp is basically for all ages, though I wouldnt send my older boys there. Activities range from games, crafts, park... I also like the fact that the day camp counselors take the kids swimming. Day camp runs from breakfast to lunchtime. After lunch it's swimming and then I believe until 6. Then, during dinner.
They dont provide toys, just some games. I bring along toys and activities according to my kids ages to keep them occupied and happy.
They do have daily room service. Again, as pp said, don't expect it to be a Sheraton hotel...
Shabbos is pretty much the same as all week. They usually have a perek shiur in the afternoon, but no special program.
Tea room is open in the afternoon and in the evening after dinner. It consists of cookies, cake, fruit, and coffee and tea.
They do usually show interesting movies or dvds after dinner for the ladies only.

Just out of pure curiosity, I went to their website. According to the website, the tea room is 24 hours. I wonder what else its not accurate about.

working hard

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:01 pm
From what I understood, it is always open but is only staffed at specific times

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:19 pm
working hard wrote:
From what I understood, it is always open but is only staffed at specific times

Always open, in the meaning of, you can always go in to make yourself a coffee, tea, hot water or access the fridge/freezer where you can keep personal items. The times I wrote above, they actually have fruit, cake, and cookies as well.

working hard

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:00 pm
Thank you so much.
Now can you please tell me about attractions/things to do in the area?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 10:06 pm
Hunter mountains/chair lift
Some sort of kids n action place in Kingston (1 hr away)
Howe caverns
Railroad ride
Rides and festival in nearby Margaretville during July 4 weekend
Nearby farm
Went to visit Tannersville and had ice cream and pizza at Jewish grocery (don't know if that still exists)
These pop to mind now.
Btw, you can request them to pack up lunch (sandwiches and fruit) at breakfast, if you plan to head out for the day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics