Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Props to the introverts!!

Laughter123

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:31 am
I have been parenting for almost 16 years thank God. Only recently have I realized the great sacrifice that introverts make in order to parent properly! The one who relishes in a long time, solitude, quiet night… And to have to tolerate, enjoy, encourage the busyness and excitement having children can bring… Can really be physically mentally and emotionally taxing for the introvert! I never really paid much attention to it interestingly enough, until recently reading up on the differences between the two types of personalities. I am now noticing that I cannot wait for the children to be in bed at times and to be able to retreat into my room to read a book think or even to clean and organize the house quietly to myself. Why sometimes I would get uptight when there were a lot of people around and a lot of drama and excitement or guests in the home. Now just to clarify I am not particularly shy. I can be fun and outgoing and outspoken if need be. As a matter fact my outside career requires that of me and I can live up to it and enjoy it. It is not that I am antisocial. I find that at times I am looking forward to some sort of social interaction. But I also noticed that I gain my strength from moments of solitude and quiet. My husband, on the other hand, is a typical extrovert, seems to be untouched by noise busyness and excitement. As a matter fact he thrives from it and doesn't know what to do with himself in moments of calm and quiet. So bottom line is I want to commend all of you introverts who have to go that extra mile to parent their children with joy and tolerate the not so quiet moments.

Growing

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:42 am
HI there Yes

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:44 am
I'm an extrovert with an introvert DH. Everything you said in the reverse!

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:55 am
Well thanks for that but I find that both introverts and extroverts have their own unique challenges.
Many extroverts I know have this remarkable need to be in control. That is something I dont struggle with. Which means its easier to let go. Which means parenting is actually less stressful when things dont always have to be perfect.
I am happy to watch my kids grow inyo themselves instead of pushing them in specific directions. And when things dont go as planned its easier to go with the flow or roll with the punches.
Just saying. We all have our challenges.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:58 am
Well said, Zehava.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 8:58 am
Fellow introvert parent here. I've been feeling really guilty lately. My kids don't seem to get a fraction of the play-dates their friends do... friends with very socially involved moms who know everyone and chat with everyone and are forever arranging activities. I am trying to push myself to reach out more but it's painful.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 9:00 am
OP, you described me perfectly!

It was a huge relief to me when I realized that there was nothing "wrong" with me, I'm just not the same as a lot of other people. I am very outgoing, but it drains my batteries very fast, and the longer I'm social, the more "me" time it takes for me to recover. I quit feeling guilty about being wired this way. Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics