Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Is this stealing?
1  2  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:05 pm
I ordered three items on sale from Amazon, Calvin Klein brand. My son did not like one of them, and another one was too expensive for what it was. I pressed the return button, and Amazon said "we will issue a refund in the form of the original payment, there is no need to return the item to us." I went ahead and did it for the second item as well, with the same response from Amazon. Can I now do that for the third item which I would want to keep in any case, just so that I can get it for free, or is that stealing?

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:14 pm
That would be lying and stealing.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:16 pm
Sounds like stealing to me! How can you accept a refund for an item that you want and intend to use???

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:17 pm
can't answer your question regarding stealing but you got a great bargain. 3 items for the price of one. I'd say to "fargin" them the price of the one item they are charging you for.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:31 pm
glamourmom wrote:
can't answer your question regarding stealing but you got a great bargain. 3 items for the price of one. I'd say to "fargin" them the price of the one item they are charging you for.

She wants to keep that item so she should pay for it! It isn't honest to do otherwise and amazon will stop having great policies if people abuse them.

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:33 pm
glamourmom wrote:

Since you can't answer the question of whether it is stealing, can you elaborate as to how you would justify doing something like the OP is contemplating doing?

suzyq

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:34 pm
Definitely stealing.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:40 pm
It is stealing, dishonesty. How come you dont have to return the items?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:45 pm
OP. I guess they bought a lot and sold it at a great price [I think it was 70% off or something] and they don't want to resell it because the shipping back to the company wouldn't be worth it? I don't know, I made that up. Usually they do make you return unwanted items.
Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought this would be the response. You are right, of course. Good Jewish mamas on this site!

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:45 pm
Honestly, I'm baffled that someone would even thing of doing this, that it would even cross someone's mind and not be immediately dismissed.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:47 pm
Maya wrote:
Honestly, I'm baffled that someone would even thing of doing this, that it would even cross someone's mind and not be immediately dismissed.

OP. I am really really poor. The taiva is stronger.

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
OP. I am really really poor. The taiva is stronger.

Thanks for explaining, and I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope things get better for you soon.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:53 pm
Maya wrote:
Since you can't answer the question of whether it is stealing, can you elaborate as to how you would justify doing something like the OP is contemplating doing?

I did NOT say she should do what she's considering to do. I just said I can't (I should have written don't want to) answer on the halacha part. not cuz I would do the return just to get it for free. I just don't like the arguments these situations become on imamother.

I was giving the OP a nice perspective how to look at it, halachic and righteous reasons aside.

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:54 pm
glamourmom wrote:
I did NOT say she should do what she's considering to do. I just said I can't (I should have written don't want to) answer on the halacha part. not cuz I would do the return just to get it for free. I just don't like the arguments these situations become on imamother.

I was giving the OP a nice perspective how to look at it, halachic and righteous reasons aside.

Do you think there is any kind of halachic discussion that would allow one to do this?

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:56 pm
Maya wrote:
Do you think there is any kind of halachic discussion that would allow one to do this?

no. and that's not the point. I did not tell her to consider it. and btw, when I read something like this my first thought is that there is a reason why she'd feel like doing it. it's called the benefit of the doubt. and in this case the OP gave you the real reason so now she's validated??

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 12:58 pm
glamourmom wrote:
no. and that's not the point. I did not tell her to consider it. and btw, when I read something like this my first thought is that there is a reason why she'd feel like doing it. it's called the benefit of the doubt. and in this case the OP gave you the real reason so now she's validated??

No, she's not validated, but now I can understand her state of mind for even considering it.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:00 pm
right. but you don't always know what's going on behind the scenes that's why there is a mitzvah of dan lkaf zechus. it's not only when we see the reasoning and understand it.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:12 pm
Maya wrote:

It sounds like she came to the right decision.
Don't judge her for her thoughts before she arrived at the right decision. Now that she knows the right thing to do, next time she won't even think about doing the wrong thing.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:30 pm
when a company figures it's cheaper than paying for the return to give you the item, it's a gift ~ when you take advantage of their policy, it is stealing

Skippy!!

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:43 pm
If you do too many returns Amazon will close your account. Somebody told me that they used to do it with books, they would read the book and send it back. After a while Amazon closed their account.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions