Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Buying Homemade food verses Takeout

funkygirl

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:35 pm
I would appreciate your input on this questioner this way I can get more of a picture what's in demand.
I sell homemade food. I would like to know if you prefer buying homemade food or takeout food? If you prefer homemade food what would be the things you would like to buy? for example Challah, Potato Kugel, Yerushalmi Kugel etc.. Would love to hear your opinions
And would you be interested in buying healthy takeout meaning dietetic food?

Last edited by funkygirl on Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:41 pm
homemade food actually means that I made it ~ sorry

my suggestion is that you take orders so that you cook according to the clients' needs

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
homemade food actually means that I made it ~ sorry

my suggestion is that you take orders so that you cook according to the clients' needs

Me too. I don't buy prepared foods, no matter what it's called, with rare exception (like travel)

funkygirl

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 1:51 pm
I'm actually asking for the ppl that hate cooking or work and don't have the time to cook or that they find things like challah a patchka to make or they can never get it right and they really love davka the homemade challa. those are the ppl I'm targeting

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 2:15 pm
It doesn't sound like you are cooking in huge quantities so I think the best way to proceed is to take orders with a reasonable cut off for pickup or delivery on Friday.

I am not sure how you are planning to proceed because sometimes there is red tape if you are selling food. Of course, if you are just selling to a small circle by word of mouth, who would know.

Without knowing your potential clients, it's hard to make suggestions. For example, I would suspect some neighborhoods would welcome healthier choices whereas others want the standards.

I would think in starting out you should develop a niche for something you do really well that others wouldn't make because it is difficult or time consuming. For xample, there might be a market for fresh pasta, hand made pierogies, perhaps challah with some kind of twist such as whole wheat. Of course if you make a wonderful challah, you can create a market for that.

In my opinion, much take out is mediocre unless one pays lots of money for the truly high end stuff.

You might consider being a personal chef. I know a few secular women who do that and make a nice living. They go into a house and prepare meals for several days that are chosen by the family. This is a great option for women who work since the don't have to shop or cook.

In the secular world, there are developing services that either deliver gourmet meals already prepared or provide the ingredients for meals with instructions so that a woman has to do minimal work to cook. She doesn't have to shop and it also avoids waste since the amount needed is provided.

If you are a skilled cook, I think there is a market for your services provided your community has enough money to want services. There are a lot of women who lack basic cooking skills

bluebird

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 5:04 pm
Consider that some people might be uncomfortable with food made in a private home for kashrut or health reasons. If there's a kosher commercial kitchen in your area that could alleviate concerns, but it would push up your costs. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

I'd like to get food that I can freeze for later without having to make it in bulk myself. I'm also not a good baker so challah (preferably mini) would be nice.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 5:16 pm
I would probably appreciate buying food thats a pain to make, and that is healthy. eg homemade israeli salatim, not the commercial stuff. Challah - offer spelt, wholewheat and gluten free as options. Possibly other complex sides - kugels etc.

With so many working women I'm sure there is a market for it.

N'sMom

Post Wed, Jun 01 2016, 5:24 pm
I rarely buy take out but when I did, after having a baby, I ordered from someone who made healthy, delicious food, the kind of thing I would make myself. She cooked only for Shabbos and orders needed to be in by Wednesday evening so she knew what she was making. As someone else said above, to some degree it's a question of who your audience is. Where I live people would want salads and healthy sides and entrees, with maybe a really yummy dessert. Where some of my family lives, they would want the traditional kugel kishke type cuisine, and a lot of sugar and grease. If you have been living there a while, you probably have a sense of what people eat; if you do t mind sharing your plans with a few people you might ask so e of your friends and neighbors what they would be likely to buy. Good luk!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads