Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
My student screamed at me very loudly that she hates me

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:45 pm
A first grade student of mine was being very disruptive in class as usual. I have tried being nice and understanding towards her but yesterday she was being very disruptive and she wanted to do something against the rules of the class and I told her she can't. So she started screaming at me very loudly in front of the whole class and telling me that she hates me. I am wondering what do you think my reaction should have been? What should I have done?

sourstix

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:48 pm
elaborate.

did you have issues with her all along? or is this a new thing?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 7:50 pm
What did you do?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 02 2016, 9:06 pm
I was actually only a sub in this class. I ended up just ignoring her and not answering her back thats why I am wondering if I did the right thing or if I should said something to show her that this is not a way to talk to a teacher. I don't even know what I should have said or done.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:46 am
As a sub, you have very little power in the kids' eyes, and not much time to build a real relationship.

Clearly, the girl had issues, and was not in control. Had you attempted to correct her in the moment, it might have backfired in a big way.

Once she was calmer, I think if you asked her right before recess to stay with you for just a couple of minutes, you could have discussed the behavior privately (but quickly! Recess is very important to kids!)

The rest of the class, without being witness to the details, would see that what she said was not OK and had a consequence.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics