Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Question about milchilgs/ fleishigs meals....ovens...

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 11:38 am
For those that don't do all dairy meals or all meat meals for Shavuos (but rather some combination) - do you leave both ovens running? This yom tov will be 3 days. Dreading the idea of all that heat. And worst part is my ovens are double oven and I can't run both simultaneous on Shabbos mode.
What's the best way to handle this?

Faigy86

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 11:48 am
Obviously there are different halachic opinions, but I would just double wrap whichever foods are the other type. Ie, if you use your fleishig oven and want to serve lasagna, just double wrap the lasagna pan and heat it in your fleishig oven.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 11:56 am
You can line a plata with foil and use that to rewarm dairy. Or light a disposable sterno with an existing flame the morning you need to use it. Or reheat dairy double covered in the oven you leave on. Or serve cold dairy and mix it up with parve (example: cheese blintzes, parve cream soup, Greek salad or pasta salad, fish...)

Miri7

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 1:12 pm
We have a plata on a timer. We wrap dairy stuff in tin foil before putting on the plata. The heat of the oven gets to be too much.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 1:52 pm
a lot of people have household help who turns on and off the ovens as needed.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:06 pm
Is turning on the oven an issue of bishul yisroel? (Or even having the oven turned on all together - maybe if it is for her benefit so she can eat it isn't a problem ??). I've never heard of people doing this.

I'm double wrapping my dairy very well and placing on a cookie sheet in the oven. As long as no steam escapes and no spills in the oven it is okay.
Dairy that I don't want to wrap I'll place on foil on the blech on my burner I leave on.

For dairy:
Blintzes and quiche on blech with soup.
Cannolloni double wrapped in oven.
Greek salad and salmon cold.

I leave my oven on low - like 250 or less so the heat is not too bad.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
a lot of people have household help who turns on and off the ovens as needed.

Well, that WAS me in the past. I no longer have that domestic help which is why I'm asking this question after 20 years of making and hosting Shavuos meals with no issues.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 3:45 pm
Miri7 wrote:
We have a plata on a timer. We wrap dairy stuff in tin foil before putting on the plata. The heat of the oven gets to be too much.

I'm terrified to leave a plata on, but maybe with a timer it would be okay. What kind of times do I use with it? Same kind of times I would use with a lamp that I can pick up at Home Depot? I don't live in Brooklyn so if I walk into a store and ask for a plata timer people won't know what on earth I mean.

Marion

Post Sat, Jun 04 2016, 1:13 pm
Plain old timer. Plug the plata into the timer, plug the timer into the wall. It would never occur to me to call it a "plata timer". Better the plata should be on than the oven.

mirah2

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:57 am
sky wrote:
Is turning on the oven an issue of bishul yisroel? (Or even having the oven turned on all together - maybe if it is for her benefit so she can eat it isn't a problem ??). I've never heard of people doing this.

If you are reheating fully cooked food bishul yisroel is not a problem. I can't answer on the oven turning on point, as we always just use a plata with a timer.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 3:22 am
all these are good suggestions. You can also get sternos and use those to heat up/keep warm food.

I leave my dairy oven on low but my meat oven has automatic shut off. I also use the plata to reheat food and an electric double ring, since my milk stove is glass. (both on timers)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
I'm terrified to leave a plata on, but maybe with a timer it would be okay. What kind of times do I use with it? Same kind of times I would use with a lamp that I can pick up at Home Depot? I don't live in Brooklyn so if I walk into a store and ask for a plata timer people won't know what on earth I mean.

We use a regular heavy duty timer for the plata. Like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/.....lSrch

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 6:07 am
It's not so simple to have the help turn on and off please ask your rav
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics