Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What is your yearly salary as a teacher?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:42 am
My friend was an assistant, in a first grade classroom, in a chassidish school, from 9-1 and she got paid about $5,000. She didn't mind doing it because it was the same time she was going for a Special Ed degree and the teacher she was assisting had 20+ years of teaching experience so she thought of it as part of her education.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 3:15 am
There is going to be a HUGE discrepancy here between public school and yeshivos, as well as public schools in cities with strong unions (such as NYC) and public schools in areas with weaker unions or union free districts.

I have not worked as a teacher since our Aliyah, but my last year working for the NYC public school I was making about $75,000 plus free health insurance and a great prescription drug plan and some assorted other benefits (dental and glasses, and of course a retirement fund). I was at the highest differential, though (masters degreee plus 30 credits), and had been working for the DOE for 8 years (and IIRC I may have even been on a higher step because I got some credit for the time I spent teaching in private schools before switching over).

Now someone on 8B with my credentials would be getting closer to $80,000, based on the raises worked into the schedule. But you don't need to do a survey for this information. The NYC teacher salary schedule is available online:

http://www.uft.org/files/attac.....8.pdf

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:14 am
I teach in Lakewood, 2 hours everyday in a high school- making 9000 a year before taxes.
It is pitiful indeed, but I do hold another part time job so I can keep doing what I enjoy doing.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:18 am
I'm in the DOE. My salary is $86,000 + insurance....

imalady

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 10:09 am
28k in Lakewood is a lot. There are only a few schools paying that.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 11:13 am
imalady wrote:
28k in Lakewood is a lot. There are only a few schools paying that.

I'm the amother making 28 in Lakewood. I'm wondering what is really out there in terms of salary for teachers. I hear some shocking numbers that makes me wonder how people survive working that way.

I also wonder what would happen if teachers would ask for more. As far as I know girls schools are big money makers. If pressure is put on the administration to raise salaries - what would happen?

Teachers (as everyone) who are not getting paid their worth get frustrated and burnt out quickly and then what gain do we have?

I also believe that evaluations must be made and salaries should be commensurate not only with experience but with success level of teachers - let's face it: not every teacher produces the same results and the better teachers who are bigger assets to their schools should make more money...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 12:07 pm
To Lakewood mothers - which schools do pay in that price range- would be good to know when seeking a job.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 12:46 pm
I teach in a bais yaakov type elementary school in NYC
I teach 4.5 hours Monday- Friday
I teach secular

I make a little under 30,000 after taxes
bh I know I am lucky.

I have a bachelors in education, and a teaching certificate through the seminary I went to (which probably means nothing)

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:12 pm
My friend, working as a Hebrew teacher for 8th grade every single day, the entire morning, 9-12:30, coming home to spend hours to prepare and grade tests, got her first year... drumroll... $6,000.

It's now 3 years later, I think she's scraping it at about 9,000. This is in Brooklyn. I don't know how she'll survive when her support ends, having gone into teaching straight after seminary with no other skills and well paying schools hard to get into.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:17 pm
im an assistant. I get paid 15k before taxes and I work everyday from 9-3:30.
I work in NY if that helps

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
My friend, working as a Hebrew teacher for 8th grade every single day, the entire morning, 9-12:30, coming home to spend hours to prepare and grade tests, got her first year... drumroll... $6,000.

It's now 3 years later, I think she's scraping it at about 9,000. This is in Brooklyn. I don't know how she'll survive when her support ends, having gone into teaching straight after seminary with no other skills and well paying schools hard to get into.

She should tutor 8th grade hebrew to supplement.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:43 pm
I teach high school in lakewood 2 periods a day and make around $9000. I am adding two more periods for next year so Im assuming it will be around $18000... Where do you teach in lakewood that you make 28K a year?!?!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:14 pm
Teachers in frum schools definitely is not a job to get rich on. However and you can all bash my brains out for saying this it is an extremely part time job. You are generally working tops 20 hrs a week for nine months a year even under nine months maybe when u factor all the built in vacation. Say u are pulling in 20k a yr. You are working one third of a regular full time job. Times your salary by three as if u r working fulltime and you get 60k a year. Thats a.decent full time salary especially if u have no college education.

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
Teachers in frum schools definitely is not a job to get rich on. However and you can all bash my brains out for saying this it is an extremely part time job. You are generally working tops 20 hrs a week for nine months a year even under nine months maybe when u factor all the built in vacation. Say u are pulling in 20k a yr. You are working one third of a regular full time job. Times your salary by three as if u r working fulltime and you get 60k a year. Thats a.decent full time salary especially if u have no college education.

Don't forget all the after hours which include preparation, marking, meetings and dealing with parents.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in the DOE. My salary is $86,000 + insurance....

Wow. So then why are teachers often complaining about how much they make?

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
Wow. So then why are teachers often complaining about how much they make?

It's usually the teachers in private schools that are complaining about the salary and they're not making anywhere near this kind of money.

PS teachers make quite decent salaries especially when you consider the benefit packages but it's a lot (hard) work.

pinkpeonies

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:49 pm
Just as a side, I do have a college education. I have a bachelors, and I was accepted to nursing school when I realized that teaching is my passion. It's true that it is pretty part time, but having worked in a few fields, I will tell you that it is a job that is not left at the office. As an English teacher, I have literally HOURS of grading at night. Also, the preparation can be pretty intense. I will not argue that it is harder, but it is not a walk in the park. However, I wouldn't give it up, because I can't think of another job that gives the same amount of satisfaction! (Besides being a mother of course:)
Also, for me to make 20K a year as a Lakewood HS teacher, I would be working basically full time...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:

Except you're not counting all the hours of prep and grading. That takes a LOT of time, which means that teachers (not ps teachers) are getting paid pennies for a full time job.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:

Sorry but I strongly disagree with the second part of your statement. I work from 12:30-4:15 and the job does not end there. The hours it takes to prepare lessons, write up lesson plans, make worksheets, speak to parents on the phone, email/text parents, have BOE phone meetings on your time for your student to get services, making up tests, marking tests, report cards, coming in early or staying late for parent meetings, PTA 2x a year, setting up the classroom in the beginning of the year, maintaining bulletin boards often goes into your own time, etc. are all hours we are not getting paid for. Many lawyers or therapists when speaking with clients after work hours will charge for their time. A teacher doesn't. I spent countless hours this past year speaking with parents. It's not a part time job, we are the ones putting everything we have into your children.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 7:46 pm
Although as I posted above I work 8 hours a week , in the classroom, for my 9k pay , I spend more than double that time at home marking, prepping, dealing with parents hanhala, mechanecheses etc... I am teaching for well over a decade and modesty aside am a very successful and hardworking teacher.

No, my pay doesn't make any sense, hence my need to work another job on the mornings. I love teaching and that's why I haven't given it up. But the pay is disgusting. It irks me how we have all these initiative to raise the pay of rebbeim etc but no one says anything about the women teachers.
there should be a standard pay scale , as many schools differ greatly in their pay. I am prob being majorly underpaid, but no other hs will hire a teacher from another school ( that's not if I would work in both ,but if I would leave one to work in the other ) as it is politically incorrect. So I feel a bit trapped between a rock and a hard place.

I'm not by any means complaining. I just wish someone would take up the fight and champion the cause of the women like myself who dedicate so much heart and so many hours and are grossly underpaid compared to our male counterparts.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics