Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What is your yearly salary as a teacher?
Previous  1  2  3  4

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:23 am
tf wrote:
What does 5 year longevity mean. Also, I reviewed the teachers salary guide. I have no clue what all the letters and numbers are. Can someone please explain?

It's a grid. Across the top is the level of your education, referred to as your "salary differential". Someone with just a BA, for example will make much less than someone with a Master's Degree. (you can ignore the "C1" "ID" and "PD" and just look at the degree listed) Across the side are what's called the "salary steps" -- how long you have been working in the DOE. If you have full time experience teaching out of the DOE you may be able to get some credit for that (in my time IIRC it was 2 years worth). Generally the "step" are divided by half years in the beginning -- 1A is the first half a year, 1B is the second half of the first year, 2A is the second year, etc. The longevity numbers are bonuses when you hit a certain number of years working in the DOE.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 2:33 am
tf wrote:
With the abnormally hard work, yomim tovim to miss school, I guess it's still worth teaching in public schools. But what happens when you must leave early on Friday (I mean every Friday) to make the zman for licht benching, or going to school on Chol Hamoed Pesach and serving non jewish kids chomets, when you are not allowed to smell it? And so on.

I'm answering all your questions based on NYC, because it sounds like that is what you are talking about. Also I've been away for a bunch of years, so things may have changed, although most of these details I'm pretty sure are still accurate.

There is no school on Pesach in the NYC public school system (although there is school Erev Pesach many years). They are also closed on Yom Kippur. So basically the days you need to take off are Rosh Hashana, Sukkos, Shavuos, and Purim if you want. All of those days can be taken off as "religious observance" which means you loose some money (the per diem rate) but not days from your bank.

IIRC you are officially allowed to leave early on Fridays ONLY if after factoring in travel time you will get home 1/2 hour or less before licht bentching, which only happens at most a few weeks in the year. (IOW if you live 1/2 hour away from the school you will be allowed to leave 1 hour before licht bentching). Otherwise it depends on your schedule/school. Some principals would allow you to arrange your schedule in such a way that your "prep" period on Friday, for example, is at the end of the day and then let you live early, but they are under no obligation to do so. (Officially you are not supposed to leave the building during your prep, but many schools are not makpid on that.) IOW, while you may end up with a really flexible principal, don't count on leaving early "every Friday".

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 4:30 am
amother wrote:

These very low salaries are only survivable for those who have wealthy husbands/parents or those who have no choice because they cant do anything else. In today's world, just about every young girl goes for a degree - because they believe that otherwise they wont survive financially. Other girls become teachers.

Is that who we really want teaching our children - those who are wealthy or are untalented/unmotivated to do anything more? Because that's what the situation looks like right now!

Is there anyone else here who takes extreme offense to this?!! I'm currently in a masters program working my butt off to become a teacher because that's what I WANT to do. I'm not saying there aren't unmotivated teachers, but to say that some people get a degree and others become teachers is very offensive to me. In getting me a degree to BECOME a teacher!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 10:21 am
Bronze imamother, I also take offense of this. In my neighborhood, it's a zechia to be a teacher, so every shnuk goes for an interview, whether they have a feel for teaching or not. Also, girls who are too slow for an office job, apply for teaching little children with the assumption that it's an easy job. Schools accept them because these "teachers" can be paid less and taken advantage of. I'm mad because my children need to have poor quality teachers because the school wants to save $$. For this reason, teaching young children got a name as an inferior job and high quality early childhood teachers lose their will to work in this type of setting.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
Bronze imamother, I also take offense of this. In my neighborhood, it's a zechia to be a teacher, so every shnuk goes for an interview, whether they have a feel for teaching or not. Also, girls who are too slow for an office job, apply for teaching little children with the assumption that it's an easy job. Schools accept them because these "teachers" can be paid less and taken advantage of. I'm mad because my children need to have poor quality teachers because the school wants to save $$. For this reason, teaching young children got a name as an inferior job and high quality early childhood teachers lose their will to work in this type of setting.

I'm sorry to have offended you but I do think you may have misunderstood my intent. I think that only highly qualified people should teach - after all they have one of the most important jobs. For years elementary schools and yeshivos were able to get away with hiring top talent and paying very little - I dont know how.

The problem today is that once college became very accepted so many qualified girls and women who would be top teachers are choosing instead to go to school - can you blame them???

That's why I feel that schools must raise teachers' salaries so that teaching wont only be for girls who are too lazy or not smart enough to go for a higher education...

Hope I made myself clearer...

(Perhaps you didnt realize that I was responding to previous posts in which people felt teachers shouldnt make so much money because they dont work for so many hours. I was pointing out that regardless of that (which isnt so factual) schools still must pay more if only to keep top talent as teachers.)

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry to have offended you but I do think you may have misunderstood my intent. I think that only highly qualified people should teach - after all they have one of the most important jobs. For years elementary schools and yeshivos were able to get away with hiring top talent and paying very little - I dont know how.

The problem today is that once college became very accepted so many qualified girls and women who would be top teachers are choosing instead to go to school - can you blame them???

That's why I feel that schools must raise teachers' salaries so that teaching wont only be for girls who are too lazy or not smart enough to go for a higher education...

(Perhaps you didnt realize that I was responding to previous posts in which people felt teachers shouldnt make so much money because they dont work for so many hours. I was pointing out that regardless of that (which isnt so factual) schools still must pay more if only to keep top talent as teachers.)

One reason why teachers' salaries seem low is because they work half a day. I am a teacher and I know that there is a lot of prep work, grading papers, speaking to parents beyond the official teaching hours however many full time occupations also require that!
My sister is an SLP. She leaves her house at seven, returns after five and still has reports to write at night. You betcha she's making more money than me!
I have a friend who teaches a morning and afternoon class. With an extra tutoring job or two on Sundays her salary isn't that paltry.
Sure I'd love a raise. However, what I make for the hours I work isn't too bad.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
One reason why teachers' salaries seem low is because they work half a day. I am a teacher and I know that there is a lot of prep work, grading papers, speaking to parents beyond the official teaching hours however many full time occupations also require that!
My sister is an SLP. She leaves her house at seven, returns after five and still has reports to write at night. You betcha she's making more money than me!
I have a friend who teaches a morning and afternoon class. With an extra tutoring job or two on Sundays her salary isn't that paltry.
Sure I'd love a raise. However, what I make for the hours I work isn't too bad.

True, as with everything in life there is no one perfect answer. Just as a teacher (who bH is very successful) I feel frustrated that in order for me to do what I am best at I have to compromise on salary in a significant way...

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:06 pm
amother wrote:

Thank for clarifying! Sorry to jump the gun.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics