Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Two Ovens - both big, or one big & one smallish?

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:10 pm
We are planning a home remodel and I need to make a decision about ovens. We have always had just one oven (and hold that you can use one for both milchig and fleish, with waiting in between).

Anyhow, we are now going to have two ovens, mostly so I can multitask when preparing for chag or shabbat. I can have a roast in and cook a dessert or lasagne in the second oven. We know we need one big oven that can fit a huge turkey. DH thinks that we should have two big ovens, mounted in the wall (this is what he grew up with). I think that we should have one big oven (that's part of the slide-in oven/stove) and one that's smaller, but big enough to fit a lasagne/casserole dish, or even a dutch oven pot.

What do you all think? My thinking is that when I need to use both ovens at the same time, I won't need to huge ovens. I just need one big and one small

I could use the main big oven for the big meat dishes, or for big baking sheets full of veggies for roasting, and then use the smaller one for a dessert or a baked dairy dish. Usually my dairy foods are not big pans of things. A lasagne or casserole dish is usually as big as I need.

We have limited space in our kitchen, so I don't want to forego the cabinet/storage space for a huge oven when a smaller one would suffice. I was thinking that the smaller oven could fit in the island, instead of having two stacked double ovens in the wall.

We do host a LOT, often for big crowds.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:16 pm
2 big & good quality ... I've seen people make mistakes by purchasing a smaller pareve or milky oven ... when you are cooking/baking a lot you need the space

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:35 pm
2 full ovens. You can cook your meats ect in one while baking the dessert/challah in the other. When I have big crowds I need to use both for fleishig.

nylon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:37 pm
2 full size. The smaller ovens don't bake as evenly and won't take a larger Dutch oven. I don't have room for wall ovens so I make do, but if I did, I would absolutely have a double. Or two singles, depending on design.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:47 pm
Thanks everyone for your responses! DH will be delighted to know that the wise ladies of imamother agree with him. And I'm happy to avoid making a decision I will regret later!!

Good shabbos everyone!

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 03 2016, 6:52 pm
I would recommend 2 full ovens. Sometimes for yom tov (especially pesach) when I am feeding a huge crowd I kasher the dairy and then have 2 full ovens to fill - and I do.
Also, though you may typically not need a very big milchig oven, it's nice to have the extra space when making a more elaborate meal or baking.
What I would also recommend though is NOT to get a double oven but 2 separate ovens. As far as I'm aware none of the double wall ovens with shabbat mode are designed to allow both to run simultaneously.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Jun 04 2016, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:

What I would also recommend though is NOT to get a double oven but 2 separate ovens. As far as I'm aware none of the double wall ovens with shabbat mode are designed to allow both to run simultaneously.

I've owned 3 different brands of double ovens (built in); all with Shabbos mode and they could all run both ovens simultaneously.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 2:11 am
another vote for 2 full size ovens. I have 2 separate ovens on 2 sides...Love them ....

newme

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 3:04 am
DEFINITELY two full size ovens.
What can you lose by having the extra space for when you need it ? And when you do need it, it's a real lifesaver.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen