Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
What to have guests bring

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 7:45 am
My kids love my cooking and I enjoy having guests with whom we can share. What to do about guests who "insist" on bringing something? One friend might bring something her picky child might only eat but that child is not coming this Yom Tov. I love trying new things and testing them on other people. We do not need more wine as that is what lots of people brought for Pesach.

momx6

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:13 am
They can bring dessert!

cm

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:33 am
Is there something you do not enjoy doing in the kitchen (baking fussy desserts, chopping salads)? You could delegate those things.

Or, suggest that your guest bring something that you wouldn't mind having more of, such as an extra kugel or something from the bakery.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:48 am
cm, I like your suggestions but I find this is my time to experiment with fun salads and my kids expect certain dishes at certain chaggim (ds even said yesterday, we are having strawberry parfaits for Shavuot, right?). Would it be weird to ask someone to bring dessert or something but also have my own? I don't want to insult anyone.

cm

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 8:50 am
IME it is not unusual to have several desserts on the table, usually including something brought by guests. Or, ask them to bring fresh fruit.

Or, tell them the menu is under control and you would like them to bring their appetites and good company!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 12:22 pm
if they really feel better bringing something ... I have to asked for paper plates or napkins

a help without the hindrance since I like to serve my own foods

5mom

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 12:35 pm
Flowers

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:00 pm
Dips for challah, fruit, candy, a fun non alcholic drink.

Eemaof3

Post Sun, Jun 05 2016, 1:36 pm
Fruit it is! Now I just have to worry if another family says yes Wink Maybe then we can go the dips route since it is not something I usually serve.
Thanks all! Chag Sameach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics