Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Lakewood Daycamp
1  2  Next

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 12:04 am
Looking for Daycamp in lakewood that doesn't require long sleeves and knee socks anon bec I've been asking around

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:37 am
For what age?

sky

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 5:39 am
What age?

If you are talking about school age I think you will have a hard time in Lakewood proper because those are the school rules the girls keep to all year.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:10 am
Sorry I meant going Into first grade turning 6

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:21 am
Pretty sure all Lakewood day camps have rules like that. You might find a backyard day camp that is more lenient.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:57 am
Just something to consider: if all the girls in the bunk are dressed that way, she may feel uncomfortable if you dress her differently.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:27 am
In a backyard camp the short socks would prob be okay. I think short sleeves will stick out every where.

In general I think the sock issue would be much less of an then the sleeve length.

Queen6

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:51 am
The question is why do you care so much? Why is it a big deal to follow the Lakewood standard? I agree it may be a bit much - but really; who cares?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 12:16 pm
Shevach day camp. but as far as I know, they were full months ago.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Shevach day camp. but as far as I know, they were full months ago.

My daughter is going to Shevach day camp. They absolutely have a rule about long sleeves and long socks.

And yes, they were full months ago.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 1:04 pm
To all those wondering why I care it's because my daughter is sensory and a very sweaty kid I moved from Brklyn and already bought all her short sleeve cloths so I really don't want to do shells ( which she wudnt agree to anyhow ) and I don't want to buy everything again because not all fabrics are good for her so it's more complicated.the short sleeves is all longer almost to elbow type. I just found out that the camp she is going to doesn't allow short sleeves or socks. So wondering if all camps like that or there are some that don't care.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 1:31 pm
I think chavairos doesn't require it for primary age.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:25 pm
if it's elbow length that's just fine .... no one wears till the wrist.

Just send her where her friends are going. She'll be much happier with her friends and her 3/4 sleeves than with her short sleeves and no one she knows. Don't give in too much to this type of sensory issue. She will have no choice in school. Instead focus on comfortable material.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:42 pm
amother wrote:
if it's elbow length that's just fine .... no one wears till the wrist.

Just send her where her friends are going. She'll be much happier with her friends and her 3/4 sleeves than with her short sleeves and no one she knows. Don't give in too much to this type of sensory issue. She will have no choice in school. Instead focus on comfortable material.

Sensory issues are not something that could be ignored. They are not 'spoiled' or 'bratty' kids, their bodies cannot handle things the way we can. When going shopping, I have in mind all my dd's sensory requests. Nothing itchy, no tight waists, soft material, nothing with straps...I don't take off any tags until she agrees to everything.

I totally understand OP; If I had to modify the whole wardrobe to suddenly have dd wear long sleeves and long socks it would be a big deal.

OP I would start practicing with your daughter to wear knee socks now. She will need to wear them in the future, so you might as well start now. If shells don't work for long sleeves, I would buy a few 3/4 sleeved tees that work. Save the other clothing for the weekends. Its annoying to buy again, but sometimes its worth everyone's sanity.

12rivkyk34

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 8:44 pm
What did she wear in school? Short socks? If she's going to a Lakewood elementary school next year she will be required to wear long socks so maybe start getting her used to it- and play around to see which brand is most comfortable for her.
Regarding sleeves- if it's basically at the elbow most camps won't comment. All real day-camps in building follow TAP (Tznius Awareness Program) which says long sleeves and socks once they are in elementary school. Shevach for sure follows this!
Many backyard camps may be more accommodating so maybe look into something in your neighborhood.
Good luck!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:21 am
My neighbor sends her daughter to shevach. she is going into 1st grade and she does not cover her elbows and doesn't wear long sox. the camp may have rules but some parents are apparently not following. No judgment here, bec. my daughter is the same age and she is also so fussy about how things feel and how hot she gets that I am not pushing her to wear shells or long sleeves. She will wear short sleeves (not short sox) and that is fine by me. my older daughter did wear long, but every child is different and it is just not worth the fight.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:40 am
My DD (who is also going to Shevach) is sensory, and she gets a little fussy the first few days of wearing something different, and after that she adjusts. I buy her 3/4 sleeve cotton shells from the Shell Station, along with assorted cotton jumpers from H&M, and that's basically her summer wardrobe, along with knee socks. She won't wear bows or headbands because they annoy her, so she's kind of simple. She complains a bit about the socks when she gets into it after wearing tights during the winter. Short socks would not make her complain less. It's mostly a matter of what they are used to and adjusting. No skirts, elastic waists or wrists, etc...as these are too annoying, and she basically wears the same type of style every day to minimize daily adjustments.

Right now she has shredded her (new) shoes, and I bought her sneakers, so she's kvetching about the fit because it feels different, but I know that in a few days she'll adjust and forget about it. I think sensory issues have to be taken into consideration, but keep in mind that your child will adjust as long as it's comfy and loose. They will get used to the feel of socks closer to the knee just like they got used to short socks which have the feel closer to the ankle (right now my DD is annoyed by those because it's not what she's used to). They get used to 3/4 sleeves. No school is going to put up with this, so you may as well adjust now than later.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:52 am
OK I am really asking this respectfully. They are only six!! Why the push to have them wear long? Like, from my point of view, if they have to when they're older, so great! they'll do it when they're older! Why insist on it? Again, I am not challenging this. I just really don't understand the mindset if you would care to explain.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:55 am
It's easier for kids to get used to certain standards when they are younger, then to suddenly have to wear long when they are older.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
OK I am really asking this respectfully. They are only six!! Why the push to have them wear long? Like, from my point of view, if they have to when they're older, so great! they'll do it when they're older! Why insist on it? Again, I am not challenging this. I just really don't understand the mindset if you would care to explain.

Here is what I understand. There are two issues at play.
1 - chinuch of the child
2 - definition of erva

regarding the chinuch of the child, 6 is around when the age of chinuch starts, but some people would theoretically be a bit more lax as long as they are building on the general concept of modesty as the child matures.

regarding the definition of erva, I was told that there is disagreement about the age that it begins, but at whatever point in time a girl can be considered erva, it is her parent's responsibility to make sure she is covered. I've heard 3, 6, 9 for this and possibly some of it is different regarding which elements of coverage are required at different ages (legs, arms, lower leg...)

I'm sure other posters can fill in some more info.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children