Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Nysed new requirements????

imamother22

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 10:02 pm
Hi all. This is a question for those of you who hold a Nys teaching certificate.
Recently I visited the nysed office of teaching initiatives web sit e in order to update my professional development hours.
There was a message there about some new requirements for teachers. It said something about
"New registration and continuing leader and teacher requirements"
And
"Safety nets" along with an explanation, but I can't figure out what it's talking about. Does anyone know what this is referring to? If not, I will have to call nysed and sit on hold for a loooooong time...
Tia.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 10:04 pm
I know they're getting rid of the safety net which was a much easier test that you can take if you fail the regular test.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 10:56 pm
Someone posted an explanation on a teachery facebook group but I didn't quite catch it. Something like you need to register somewhere in order to input future PD hours. You don't lose anything and IIRC nothing changes, just more bureaucratic hoops to jump through I guess. I think the new deal is that the years count from your birthday instead of from the time you got the certificate, or something like this.

No idea about safety net, I never knew failing the test was an option, I always thought you just need to retake the test and I know some people who did. What safety net?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 10:58 pm
seeker wrote:
Someone posted an explanation on a teachery facebook group but I didn't quite catch it. Something like you need to register somewhere in order to input future PD hours. You don't lose anything and IIRC nothing changes, just more bureaucratic hoops to jump through I guess. I think the new deal is that the years count from your birthday instead of from the time you got the certificate, or something like this.

No idea about safety net, I never knew failing the test was an option, I always thought you just need to retake the test and I know some people who did. What safety net?

Safety test was the retake. it was a much easier test.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 11:14 pm
How does that not defeat the purpose of having the original harder test? Scratching Head

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 06 2016, 11:16 pm
seeker wrote:
How does that not defeat the purpose of having the original harder test? Scratching Head

Exactly. People were taking the tests with the attitude of who cares if I fail, I can just retake a very easy test (although they had to pay the fee again)- which like you said defeated the purpose which is why this option will no longer exist.

Shuly

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 6:43 am
They haven't changed anything on their website about professional development. It still says:

Q. When does the first professional development period for an individual certificate holder begin?

A. The professional development period for the certificate holder begins on July 1 following the effective date of the certificate.

http://www.highered.nysed.gov/......html

If anyone has more information, please post!

seeker

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
Exactly. People were taking the tests with the attitude of who cares if I fail, I can just retake a very easy test (although they had to pay the fee again)- which like you said defeated the purpose which is why this option will no longer exist.

I wasn't even thinking about people doing it on purpose. What I meant was isn't the point of a certification exam to establish some kind of standard? Like, you can only be a teacher if you know this much. Or, if you are a certified teacher then that means you know this much. But if you just go ahead and make the test easier for anyone who doesn't pass it, that makes the whole thing really meaningless. Whose ridiculous idea was that in the first place and why are they in charge of our education system?!

imamother22

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 11:17 pm
Thanks so much for all the replies. Does anyone have any specific info about the original test??? Is this a test I was supposed to take before I received my certification, but I didn't know? Is it a new requirement that applies to me now, even though I already earned my professional certification? If I need to take it, where/how do I register? How do I study?

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 9:09 am
imamother22 wrote:
Thanks so much for all the replies. Does anyone have any specific info about the original test??? Is this a test I was supposed to take before I received my certification, but I didn't know? Is it a new requirement that applies to me now, even though I already earned my professional certification? If I need to take it, where/how do I register? How do I study?

You must have taken it because you can't get certification without it on your record.

imamother22

Post Thu, Jun 09 2016, 11:11 pm
Ty! I thought it was something new.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 7:39 pm
Bumping this. Anyone have clear understanding of the new requirements. It seems they are replacing the professional development 175 hours with a new system. It also seems only teachers employed by public school are required to register and complete the new hours. Does this mean seits and teachers in private special Ed schools have no professional development requirements anymore? It seems if u were in middle of a five year cycle it expired in June, and now the new system is in place.. Super confused..

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 8:56 pm
That's what it sounded like but I'd want to make absolutely sure because it really doesn't seem to make any sense that you don't need any PD if you're not in a public school. I mean, working for a public school automatically means the school is giving a certain amount of PD, whereas if you're not working in a PS then you could be all rusty and dusty like many I've seen. So I'm just not sure we're getting this quite right, though if we are it wouldn't be the first time the education department made no sense (e.g., see above.)

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 08 2016, 10:33 pm
seeker wrote:
That's what it sounded like but I'd want to make absolutely sure because it really doesn't seem to make any sense that you don't need any PD if you're not in a public school. I mean, working for a public school automatically means the school is giving a certain amount of PD, whereas if you're not working in a PS then you could be all rusty and dusty like many I've seen. So I'm just not sure we're getting this quite right, though if we are it wouldn't be the first time the education department made no sense (e.g., see above.)

I agree, however it wud mean no pressure to complete my hours, and I can take part in professional development at my own pace and interests. That wud be amazing. I don't even know who to call to confirm.. Any ideas? I find info so hard to get from the doe

seeker

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 12:47 am
It is hard to get info. You can try emailing NYSED. Doesn't mean you'll get a helpful response, but it's worth a try.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 1:02 am
I did some research about this. Basically, until now, the rule was that once you have your professional certificate, you need 175 hours of professional development every 5 years in order to maintain that certification. The number of hours was reduced if you were working in a non public school.

There was a meeting in March 2016 and they changed the rules as of July 1, 2016. Here's what I was told when I called. Any professional development hours collected in the past is now completely irrelevant- no one needs to collect/enter any hours of professional from the past since they've changed the rules. They will be completely ignoring any of that (which is kind of crazy for those ppl who have been working so hard gathering their hours)

Moving forward, starting July 1, 2016, anyone with a professional certificate needs to register in the TEACH website (it seems each person has to register in the month of their birthday?) and then has 5 years to log 100 hours of CTLE (not being called professional development anymore)- Continuing Teacher and Leader Eduction. All workshops have to be by people who are approved by the department. This link has info:

Hope that helps.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Sep 09 2016, 7:17 am
amother wrote:
I did some research about this. Basically, until now, the rule was that once you have your professional certificate, you need 175 hours of professional development every 5 years in order to maintain that certification. The number of hours was reduced if you were working in a non public school.

There was a meeting in March 2016 and they changed the rules as of July 1, 2016. Here's what I was told when I called. Any professional development hours collected in the past is now completely irrelevant- no one needs to collect/enter any hours of professional from the past since they've changed the rules. They will be completely ignoring any of that (which is kind of crazy for those ppl who have been working so hard gathering their hours)

Moving forward, starting July 1, 2016, anyone with a professional certificate needs to register in the TEACH website (it seems each person has to register in the month of their birthday?) and then has 5 years to log 100 hours of CTLE (not being called professional development anymore)- Continuing Teacher and Leader Eduction. All workshops have to be by people who are approved by the department. This link has info:

Hope that helps.

That's what I gathered as well. My main question is that the new requirements require to complete the 100 hours only if you are employed by a public school. So that appears to mean there is no professional development requirements for non public school teachers in order to maintain their certification.

imamother22

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 6:08 pm
As far as I understand, teachers who register will be required to complete 100 CTLE hours, which will not be reduced for teachers in private schools (as the 175 hours of PD were). I emailed NYSED with the following 2 questions and got no response (not even the automated one I used to get!) If anyone knows anything about this, please post to help the rest of us!!!
1. As a contracted SETTS provider working through the Board of Ed (technically a PS district) in a private school, do I need to register for CTLE hours?
2. Where can I view a list of CTLE approved courses?

On a personal note, it is annoying to lose credit for all the hours I painstakingly accumulated for the last 2 years. I almost took a $2000 course.... I'm glad I didn't!
I am also concerned that these hours will be more expensive and hard to find, necessitating travel, etc. In the days of PD hours, I used to choose courses based somewhat on convenience. I also tried to find some free and inexpensive courses. I wonder if finding a CTLE approved course will mean it is more expensive.

One last point: I read that a percentage of the 100 hours needs to be in ELL instruction... anyone heard anything about this?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Sep 11 2016, 6:28 pm
I completed my certification many years ago (about 14 years ago) and I have a Permanent Certificate. That means that I never needed to take continuing education credits. Also, I am currently not using my degree (although I have until two years ago), so am not employed in the education field. Do the new requirements affect me?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics