Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What communities have state sponsored tuition?
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:34 am
Does anyone know of communities where the tuition is very affordable due to state sponsored funding? I know of Richmond VA and somewhere in PA but I don't remember where. Are there any others?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:39 am
Cincinnati has state vouchers based on failing public school system- if the public school system improves then the vouchers will go away. I believe Southbend does as well.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:08 pm
Some of Columbus's Jewish community also qualifies for EdChoice.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 2:12 pm
Cleveland has another program but I don't know the details.

And Columbus/Cincinnati also have the EdChoice expansion program which means that if someone is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Limit, they can get the scholarship, even if the district is not failing, if I understand the program correctly.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 3:01 pm
milwawukee

Maryann

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:04 pm
Does anyone here live in Cincinnati and can confirm if it's true that there are tuition vouchers?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 4:19 pm
yes. I live in cincinnati and benefited from vouchers.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 5:14 pm
Indiana has vouchers.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 6:12 pm
I live in Cincinnati too and know quite a bit about the vouchers.

RachaelLeah

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 6:16 pm
Florida has a state scholarship program called Step Up For Students. I don't know what the income requirements are, though. The scholarships are around $5,000 or maybe a little more

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:56 pm
I have a few more minutes now to explain the Ohio EdChoice program.

Someone who has never attended school in Ohio before is eligible, and this means people who move in to Ohio by July 31st of the upcoming school year and have submitted the application with proof of residency (if you move after and didn't get vouchers that year, you are out of luck in the future)...alternatively, someone who was homeschooled would also be eligible, or anyone who is entering kindergarten (pre-k isn't considered school)....

The scholarship is currently worth 4650 for elementary and 6000 for high school (this coming year; this past year it was 5900).

One qualifies by living in a school district where the public school system is under-performing. Currently, almost all of the Orthodox Jewish community in Cincinnati, and a portion of those in Columbus live in such a district.

Alternatively, if one is able to prove through recent paystubs or prior year W2s (for the same job you currently have), that you are at or below 200% of the federal poverty limit, you can get the scholarship no matter what district you live in.

If you are low income by the above guidelines, the school is not allowed to charge you more in tuition, though they can in fees for other things.

The current chart for poverty guidelines is as such:
Number in Household Gross Annual Amount (200%)
1 23,600
2 32,040
3 40,320
4 48,600
5 56,880
6 65,160
7 73,460
8 81,780
For each additional person, add: 8320

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 8:04 pm
Doesn't New York have vouchers?

ShoshLay

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:37 pm
Hi. I'm trying to help our Harrisburg community to repopulate. Pennsylvania offers huge tax credits to businesses who donate to any school. Therefore, our day school can subsidize tuition to about the $13K level, with further discounts based on income. Our housing is very, very affordable--a nice home can be had for $150-$225. Even my utilities and auto insurance went down considerably since I moved from upstate NY. Please feel free to communicate with me and learn more. This is an amazingly livable community.

STovah

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 6:59 pm
amother wrote:

No, NY doesn't have vouchers.

suremom

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:21 pm
nyc does have some voucher program. thought I'm not very familiar with it, I believe you need to be very low income to be eligible.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:35 pm
I heard Detroit does, is that true?

pearled

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 7:42 pm
Northeast Philadelphia has great tutiion discounts from the Pennsylvania tax credits. ualify) People here who qualify (and you can make quite alot to qualify) pay really VERY affordable rates for tuition. Im happy to give you more specific numbers if you pm me. The school here also promises never to turn someone away for financial reasons. We are about an hour and 40 minutes from Brooklyn, Very affordable housing- rentals between $800-$1200 for 2-3 bedroom walk-in garden apartments, ($150K-215k+ to buy 3-4 bedroom home). Feel free to pm me or ask me any questions for more info...

Wishing you lots of luck!

STovah

Post Tue, Jun 21 2016, 8:21 pm
suremom wrote:
nyc does have some voucher program. thought I'm not very familiar with it, I believe you need to be very low income to be eligible.

Vouchers for private school tuition? That would be a big surprise to me. Or are you talking about vouchers for daycare and after school programs?

shaimac1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 8:35 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone know of communities where the tuition is very affordable due to state sponsored funding? I know of Richmond VA and somewhere in PA but I don't remember where. Are there any others?

There are many states that have Vouchers. Some states are:

Indiana (South Bend, In)
Nevada ( Las Vegas, NV)
Ohio (Cleveland and Cincinnati)
Virgina (Richmond)
Wisconsin (Milwaukee)

If you want a detailed chart created by Rabbi AD Motzen of the Agudas Yisroel feel free to send me a PM with your e-mail and I can send it to you!

I happen to live in South Bend, In and we the state tuition vouchers, affordable housing 3 beds 2 bath homes with large front and back yards with attached garages for under 200k and affordable property taxes ($2,000 a year). Feel free to check out our website at www.cdisouthbend.com

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:18 am
amother wrote:

Ny definitly had vouchers a few years back...
Maybe it was just a specific school, but I worked in a school in bp that had vouchers + an after school program that did activitys with the children, homework , gave them supper and then bussed them home. All these children eligable for this had vouchers paying full tuiton for them
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating