Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please tell me if this is safe!!!!
1  2  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 5:57 pm
My son has growth hormone deficiency and a homeopathic practitioner recommended that I treat him with an herbal remedy. Here is the text on the bottle.
Newtronic full complex siberian adaptogens
High potency Concentrate
Ingredients Rhaponticum leusea root, Aralia root, Eleutherococcus Root, Rhodiola Rosea root, Shizandra chinensis berry, Glycyrhiza Uralensis root, Hawthorn berry, Korean Ginseng, Paeonia anomala, Codonopsis root.

she told me at first to give three drops a day but when the doctor gave me the diagnosis she upped the dosage to a whopping 40 drops per day 20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. He is 2 1/2. Anyone know if this is safe ?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:05 pm
Is this formula homeopathic or naturapathic?

If homeo, it's not harmful. If it's a tincture, it might be too strong. I'd start out with 20 drops, and go up from there. Are the drops alcohol based? If so, you might want to see if you can find a formula that is steam extracted instead of alcohol tinctured.

The herbs sound like a good mix, especially the hawthorn and ginseng.

Make sure that DS is not eating any soy products or yams. Sweet potatoes are OK. Milk and meat should be hormone free and organic, and produce should be washed extremely well. All of these things are phytoestrogens, and can cause feminization.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 7:11 pm
Thank you FF I'm not sure which it is but it doesn't have alcohol anywhere in the ingredients.
I'm concerned because Google says that ginseng shouldn't be given to kids. Especially long term. And I'm supposed to give this for 6 months.
And also the dramatic increase in dosage from 3 to 40 drops.
Would you say this is preferable to growth hormone shots?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:48 pm
Why don't you ask a doctor instead of a bunch of anonymous strangers before giving your kid potentially dangerous stuff?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:51 pm
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Get a second opinion. A lot of these natural things are not regulated and tested properly. My friend was missing growth hormone. Her parents left it untreated until she was 16 and she took shots in her arms and legs daily. She was at a regular size in a year.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:56 pm
Yes which is why I'm doing research. The person who put it together IS a doctor but still I want to be sure so I'm asking around. And I am planning on asking my childs pediatrician as well.
I was looking for someone who may be knowledgeable in this area and can tell me about those herbs and roots. But this is the internet so I should have known I'd get flamed.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
But this is the internet so I should have known I'd get flamed.

I'm sorry, I did not mean for that to come out harsh!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:00 pm
Is a homeopathic practitioner a doctor? As in a person who went through medical school and all the rest doctors have to go through to become certified? Or is it just someone who sees sick people, gives them a few herbs and tells them to have a Refuah Shelaima? What

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:02 pm
She has a PHD in medicine. I wouldn't call her a doctor otherwise.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:05 pm
I'd be extremely careful. I am scared to give such stuff to kids. What does a regular endo recommend?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:05 pm
Well, I suppose that is reassuring. But I would definitely still ask the pediatrician first.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:09 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I'd be extremely careful. I am scared to give such stuff to kids. What does a regular endo recommend?

Growth hormone shots . scares me more for some reason.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:09 pm
Why would you mess with the hormones of a two year old? Especially what FF said about feminization.. Not bashing, just asking curiously.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 07 2016, 10:15 pm
I think injecting him with synthetic hormones is a mess onto its own. I'm conflicted.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 12:45 am
amother wrote:

Was it through the University of Phoenix...

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:34 am
amother wrote:
My son has growth hormone deficiency and a homeopathic practitioner recommended that I treat him with an herbal remedy. Here is the text on the bottle.
Newtronic full complex siberian adaptogens
High potency Concentrate
Ingredients Rhaponticum leusea root, Aralia root, Eleutherococcus Root, Rhodiola Rosea root, Shizandra chinensis berry, Glycyrhiza Uralensis root, Hawthorn berry, Korean Ginseng, Paeonia anomala, Codonopsis root.

she told me at first to give three drops a day but when the doctor gave me the diagnosis she upped the dosage to a whopping 40 drops per day 20 in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. He is 2 1/2. Anyone know if this is safe ?

Please see a pediatric endocrinologist!!!!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Please see a pediatric endocrinologist!!!!

I am duh!!! And she wants him on growth hormones!
I am normally not a big fan of alternative medicine but all this scorn here is making me take a look in the mirror.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:45 am
OP, I understand all the sides to this situation. Growth hormone shots are serious business, and not something to take lightly. It sounds really scary. On the other hand, assorted roots that you don't understand can be scary, too.

I think that second opinions are needed all around, before you commit to any course of action.

If you want to pursue a more holistic approach, please ask Yael to move this thread to the "natural parenting" forum. You'll probably get more support there.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:51 am
amother wrote:

A PhD does not make her a medical doctor. A medical doctor is an MD. A PhD cannot prescribe medicine. Not the same.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2016, 10:51 am
I wasn't really looking for support more like input from someone who actually knows what these assorted roots are and can tell me if they're safe for a child. Like what you wrote.
I also emailed the ingredients to the endocrinologist who is treating him.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics